Dressing better

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Where are you guys buying inexpensive suits from?

I just need one for a formal I have to go to for my girl in the fall. I want a navy or grey one, and H&M suits def don't fit me
anyone?
looking to spend about 500 bucks since I'm only wearing it for this

Check out Nordstrom Rack, they tend to have a few selection and you can take your time trying on different suits. They tend to have brands like Hickey Freeman, John Varvatos, Burberry, etc... for around that price if not less. I know there are alternatives like ebay or b/s forum at SF to get a great deal but it takes some studying up to know what you are getting in there or else it'll be a lot of buy and sell process that can take time and loss of money and patience (and probably a pretty good tailor). 
Wait for Nii to chime in though, in the past, he has suggested a lot of good brands to check out and tips and tricks in getting suits for cheap. 

Edit: Nii beat me to it. 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
The only suit I have was about 500, so figured that's what they all costs just for a basic one....I'll probably wear it more than once, but barely go to church now and I don't need it for work, so don't know where else I would wear it to.

I'm just looking at stores we have here in town right now and I see J Crew has some nice ones around 500 for the jacket and pants. I know my size just don't know about these pants and how tight they will be, the store doesn't care suits here.

I'm looking at this wool one and I think it's the one I'm going to get, couple questions though. It's going to be early in the fall so still pretty warm, would a wool suit be too hot? Also if I do get the wool one, what material pocket square should I get, silk or cotton?

Didn't even think about shoes
ohwell.gif

I think I might have to travel, only stores here I know that carry suits are Mens Warehouse, Banana Republic, Dillards, and Belk.

Jacket

Pants

i have to go to a wedding on friday, found out i dont need a suit and was just looking for shirt/tie color combinations. i'll probably get black dress pants from h&m or somewhere and for shoes i'll get some black oxfords. are the shoes supposed to be square or round tipped?

JCrew suits are made from an all season wool, you would be able to get by with an all season wool suit in the summer.

I'm going to NY in a couple days, going to try on both fits of the JCrew suits. I'm afraid the ludlow suit pant would be too tight around the hips, but an aldridge jacket would be too wide at the armholes. Going to try them both on, and even see about mismatching the jacket and suit pant for the best fit, as long as they are of the same material. I have that trim waist size/ athletic thighs combo, so I'm worried about the ludlow suit pant fit.

Originally Posted by Genius44

JCrew suits are made from an all season wool, you would be able to get by with an all season wool suit in the summer.

I'm going to NY in a couple days, going to try on both fits of the JCrew suits. I'm afraid the ludlow suit pant would be too tight around the hips, but an aldridge jacket would be too wide at the armholes. Going to try them both on, and even see about mismatching the jacket and suit pant for the best fit, as long as they are of the same material. I have that trim waist size/ athletic thighs combo, so I'm worried about the ludlow suit pant fit.
Thanks. and that's EXACTLY how I am too, so if you could let me know about the pants I would appreciate it.

quick question for you guys

i bought a slim suit in my normal size, but the size 32 pants was too tight in the waist (i couldn't button it, but 32 is usually my normal size), however it fit in the thighs, legs, and seat perfectly.

i exchanged the pants for a size 34 that fit perfect in the waist, but it's baggy in the thighs, legs, but the seat seems to be fine.

should i exchange it for the 32 again and have the waist let out? or should i keep the 34 and have the thighs, legs, and possibly seat taken in?

thanks

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Where are you guys buying inexpensive suits from?

I just need one for a formal I have to go to for my girl in the fall. I want a navy or grey one, and H&M suits def don't fit me
anyone?
looking to spend about 500 bucks since I'm only wearing it for this
500 bucks for a suit you will wear only once? that makes no financial sense ... but that is another conversation. i don't normally advice this, but if you are hell bent on wearing a suit only once, then just go rent one and save your money. 
Overall though, i wont recommend renting a suit - or buying it to wear only once. A WELL FITTING suit should be an investment like a car, should last you a long time and be versatile. For 500 dollars - go to your nearest polo store and try on their various cuts in navy or charcoal, especially the made in italy (corneliani) line. see what fits you and maybe check if they are having a sale. you should find something that works. If there is nothing there on sale in your price range, memorize the suit size and cut and check out eBay ... many Polo suits out there to be had for less than 500. 

you guys are ballers - 500 dollar suits to wear once ... lol. 
This should somehow be stickied into the top of each page of this thread. 
laugh.gif

I think there are other stores you can substitute in for Polo, but the rest of it is on point. Especially the investment part. Looking forward to buying my first "real" suit whenever I start working. 
pimp.gif

I've seen some very nice suits at the Polo Outlet, might scoop one up next time I hit it up.
500 bucks for a suit you will wear only once? that makes no financial sense ... but that is another conversation. i don't normally advice this, but if you are hell bent on wearing a suit only once, then just go rent one and save your money.
This is NT, $600+ on some Neon/Goofball/South Beach LeBrons is not a problem.  Dudes will give their left nut for "exclusive" kicks then balk at paying over $100 for a nice pair of dress shoes, suit or a decent button up,
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by joree85

quick question for you guys

i bought a slim suit in my normal size, but the size 32 pants was too tight in the waist (i couldn't button it, but 32 is usually my normal size), however it fit in the thighs, legs, and seat perfectly.

i exchanged the pants for a size 34 that fit perfect in the waist, but it's baggy in the thighs, legs, but the seat seems to be fine.

should i exchange it for the 32 again and have the waist let out? or should i keep the 34 and have the thighs, legs, and possibly seat taken in?

thanks
its cheaper to open the waist out (IF the fabric is available), than to taper the thigh through the leg - so i'd go with the 32 and have the waist opened. 

Originally Posted by rjones416

i have to go to a wedding on friday, found out i dont need a suit and was just looking for shirt/tie color combinations. i'll probably get black dress pants from h&m or somewhere and for shoes i'll get some black oxfords. are the shoes supposed to be square or round tipped?

the black pants/black shoes is too generic. imagine wearing navy pants and tan/brown shoes. it would look infinitely better than the black/black. my personal recommendation ... since its summer: 
1. white linen long sleeve shirt - well fitting

2. some blue based tie in silk or cotton (stripes, flower prints or dots)

3. navy or gray wool slacks - well fitting

4. brown leather shoes - well polished with a matching belt

all buttoned up and neat at the wedding ... loosen (not lose) the tie a bit, roll up the sleeves and get grooving with the ladies at the reception. 

Originally Posted by Twism009

Kinda off topic but where can I get a DOPE travel duffel? Inexpensive too....

Not sure what you looking for...I got a blue canvas for myself and a brown & blue fabric for my lady a little while ago (too lazy to upload pics lol- i'll try tomorrow)

But to give you an idea of a style i'm trying to order sometime soon...

tumblr_lmgspg81981qhft38.png

duffel_ChestnutAO_web_copy.jpg

Yo can somebody point me in the direction of some sneakers I can rock to the clubs in Vegas (Marquee, XS, Surrender)? Was looking at Clae's but but i wanna see if there is other options. Budget is <$150. Thanks

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Not sure what you looking for...I got a blue canvas for myself and a brown & blue fabric for my lady a little while ago (too lazy to upload pics lol- i'll try tomorrow)

info?

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

info?

Similar for $59.00

http://www.urbanoutfitter...amp;selectedProductSize=

Been rocking with this one since October. The faces have been known to get small cracks out of them out of no where. That's been the only complaint I've heard about them. It's a fun watch to have, definitely a conversation piece. They're extremely lightweight, you forget its on your arm sometimes. You'd most likely have to get some links taken out when you but it too.
tumblr_lauvluWFxw1qaf7o7.jpg

tumblr_lauvlhzVLD1qaf7o7.jpg

Originally Posted by donjuan513

Been rocking with this one since October. The faces have been known to get small cracks out of them out of no where. That's been the only complaint I've heard about them. It's a fun watch to have, definitely a conversation piece. They're extremely lightweight, you forget its on your arm sometimes. You'd most likely have to get some links taken out when you but it too.
tumblr_lauvluWFxw1qaf7o7.jpg

tumblr_lauvlhzVLD1qaf7o7.jpg

im very utilitarian in my fashion so if the face cracks i dont wanna wear for show. in ur experience did it crack?

quick question...
wedding attire... is a tie/suit jacket a must? have a wedding next month to go to for a distant relative. im expecting pretty hot temperatures. are pants, oxfords and a shirt opened too casual?

Originally Posted by big mike 13

quick question...
wedding attire... is a tie/suit jacket a must? have a wedding next month to go to for a distant relative. im expecting pretty hot temperatures. are pants, oxfords and a shirt opened too casual?

i think you're good, and if it's too hot, just wear linen.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

info?
http://www.gruberandwhale.com/

Hey guys, I just picked up a pair of these JP Boat shoes in navy for really cheap from Saks off 5th:

converse-jack-purcell-boat-shoe.jpg

I want to achieve the no sock look, but in doing so my feet hurt and feel really weird. Does anyone have any recommendations for some no-show socks? I've heard they were called loafer socks...  I've seen the J. Crew socks but I was wondering if there are any cheaper, higher quality alternatives that people may know of.

And also... nordstrom rack has a lot of clarks/sebago/sperry on the down low... at least in my area... Colma

Back
Top Bottom