Dressing better

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

511 is a lot skinner than the 514.

Have a pair of 511s in my closet that have yet to be worn.
this is definitely true...i wish there was something in between the two. 
just size up...im a natural 31-32 and i usually wear 31s for levis 501. i size up on 511s to a 33-34. im a skinny dude and i have trouble fitting my legs in size 32 511s, it feels like straight up leggings 
sick.gif

^ so why dont you go 514s then?

I don't get the point of sizing up 2-3'' for 511 when you can size up 1'' or stay the same size for 514s

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

^ so why dont you go 514s then?

I don't get the point of sizing up 2-3'' for 511 when you can size up 1'' or stay the same size for 514s

Sizing up is basically like getting something in between 511 and 514, it just fits better. I did the same thing and it looks and feels good.
For anyone planning to do this, I'd suggest you try them on in the store if you can though, sometimes the fit of Levi's vary from color to color.

I guess I'd never understand since I could only go as far as 514s
ohwell.gif

and yes, jeans of the same cut might vary really because of the material used (sometimes) .

chickenlegs
tongue.gif
= 511s/

I think this and the RL thread are the most interesting threads on Niketalk. It wasn't so long ago that the vast majority of you were losing your mind over jerseys and fitteds. Now you're all into actual menswear.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great. But like a few of you on here this isn't a new thing for me.

Which made me wonder......is this change due to the hypebeasts on NT or is NT just getting more mature?

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by GQ smooth 4

I think this and the RL thread are the most interesting threads on Niketalk. It wasn't so long ago that the vast majority of you were losing your mind over jerseys and fitteds. Now you're all into actual menswear.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great. But like a few of you on here this isn't a new thing for me.

Which made me wonder......is this change due to the hypebeasts on NT or is NT just getting more mature?

Thoughts?
I say people want to be original and stand out. When something is being played out or being over-done by the public...
they move on to the next thing...

Just a heads up for those with a GAP/BR connect, my local BR that's been sold out on the popular sizes of Clarks DB's for months recently restocked. Maybe yours did also.

ohwell.gif

and yes, jeans of the same cut might vary really because of the material used (sometimes) .

chickenlegs
tongue.gif
= 511s/

a sized up 511 fits exactly like 514s from the waist to the knee but with a tapered leg opening, better for slimmer shoes like chucks, vans, etc. for bigger shoes like jordans i wear 501s/514s

Thoughts?
I'll use myself as an example.  I remember vividly when the jerseys and fitted trend was in.  Cats would post up matching shoes (often a time custom painted AF1s) to go with an authentic or M&N jersey and a fitted hat.  This was around 2002-2003, my senior year of high school.  Fast forward to 2010....I'm now in grad school.  The members who were around NT during that jersey trend, for the most part I would assume, matured up.

Through out that time interval, I went through several stages myself.  From shirts/jerseys that went down to my knees and extremely sagging jeans to street wear to eventually button ups and such (that still fit pretty baggy) and so forth.

Originally Posted by wj4

Thoughts?
I'll use myself as an example.  I remember vividly when the jerseys and fitted trend was in.  Cats would post up matching shoes (often a time custom painted AF1s) to go with an authentic or M&N jersey and a fitted hat.  This was around 2002-2003, my senior year of high school.  Fast forward to 2010....I'm now in grad school.  The members who were around NT during that jersey trend, for the most part I would assume, matured up.
personally, maturity

i love the way i look/feel

but its the sign of the times...there's still a majority of people around me still rockin tall tees and super baggy jeans...my friends included...i get clowned by these dudes..always callin me Carlton or asking how does my "Drake coat" keep me warm....i just
roll.gif
cuz i know soon enough they'll mature....when that time comes, i'll be glad to be niidawg in their lives
laugh.gif

I also forgot to say that I don't wear dress shoes and ties every day, just when I feel like it. I still wear bright sneakers (bought those all red and all blue Jordan Retro I's recently) with jeans and t shirt when the weather permits, but no longer are the clothes ill fitting. They fit properly now. :ll

My transition in fashion styles was triggered because I'm old, now. I'm 24, graduating college, interning at a law firm... Street wear just doesn't have any room in my life anymore. I had a huge collection of sneakers, jerseys, fitteds, street wear t-shirts, etc. Back in HS and early college. I wear loafers and carry a briefcase three days out of the week. That style just kind of carried over into my leisure time, too.

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

ohwell.gif

chickenlegs
tongue.gif
= 511s/

a sized up 511 fits exactly like 514s from the waist to the knee but with a tapered leg opening, better for slimmer shoes like chucks, vans, etc. for bigger shoes like jordans i wear 501s/514s
Yep, I hate big leg openings especially 514, they almost create a flare at the bottom.

To those looking for interesting socks, saw this posted at SF.
Target has these socks for $2.50 a pair, which isn't bad at all.

This is pretty good for those looking for "fun" socks.

thanks for the info on the levi's options...i think i'll get a pair of 511's and try em out a size up.

If you have regular thighs, the 511s should work. If your thighs are a bit bigger or muscular, it will be a tight fit. The thing that's off for me about sizing is up is when you size up, for me the seat of the pants now fit bigger.

I too have trouble fitting the 511's, but dislike the 514's wide leg opening. If you're solely concerned about fit, I've found the H&M Sliqs to be a good compromise/middle ground between the 511/514's.

anyone got COUPON CODES to BR?
nerd.gif

Saw these and some great looking denim this weekend but didnt have time to try them on.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by jmal519

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by RFX45

Originally Posted by jmal519

i have an interview for grad school (doctor of physical therapy) next friday and i need something to wear. i don't own a suit so that's out of the question. the only things that i have set for my wardrobe for the interview is a pair of H&M charcoal, wool dress pants and black banana republic loafers. any suggestions on what i should wear up top?

If a blazer is out of the question, I'd go with a simple white shirt and a dark tie and a grey cardigan/sweater.
Although I would encourage a blazer for the interview.
You NEED to wear a suit to a professional interview.

If you aren't serious enough to invest in a suit for interviews, why should the school invest in educating you?
Dude's wearing shirts with no jacket to Grad School interviews? Where they do that at.

My fault, I never did grad school so I am not too sure what it entails.

my brother wore a sweater/tie/shirt combo to his pharmacy school interview and got in. he'll be making $70 - $80,000 minimum straight out of graduation. most male students who i see interview for grad school don't wear a suit. i'm sure most health science grad schools understand that students don't make that much money and can't afford suits.

anyways...RFX: my pants are charcoal. would that be too much gray? would a heather gray sweater and a navy tie work?

Stop being bullish and listen to the advice of almost everyone. as i said, you MAY get the spot ... but why RISK it.

Dont live to regret your actions. you are putting unneccessary risk into your interview, which is a pathway to your future. Hit up a couple thrift stores, you can find a decent fitting suit for less than 30 dollars. I interview a LOT of people, and if you come into my office without a suit ... you are out of contention PERIOD.

I am sure you will probably go without the suit, get the gig and come laugh in our face, so i rest my case at this point.
just letting you know, i wasn't trying to be stubborn. i was just taking advice from my brother, who didn't wear a suit. i actually spoke to an advisor for the program, who told me that a suit wasn't necessary.

despite all of this, i ended up listening to all of you and purchased a heather gray suit from H&M. better safe than sorry, right? now, what to wear under the suit. i will definitely be wearing my black loafers, black leather belt, black dress watch, black tie.

on to the shirt...

are patterns okay for an interview? i was thinking a small patterned black gingham. or maybe thin stripes.

and what about a pocket square? i was thinking plain white.

lastly, i usually wear a plain stainless-steel tie bar w/ my ties (my belt buckle is silver as is the bezel on my black watch). should i go with this, or will i be doing too much?

thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom