Dressing better

Originally Posted by jmal519

just letting you know, i wasn't trying to be stubborn. i was just taking advice from my brother, who didn't wear a suit. i actually spoke to an advisor for the program, who told me that a suit wasn't necessary.

despite all of this, i ended up listening to all of you and purchased a heather gray suit from H&M. better safe than sorry, right? now, what to wear under the suit. i will definitely be wearing my black loafers, black leather belt, black dress watch, black tie.

on to the shirt...

are patterns okay for an interview? i was thinking a small patterned black gingham. or maybe thin stripes.

and what about a pocket square? i was thinking plain white.

lastly, i usually wear a plain stainless-steel tie bar w/ my ties (my belt buckle is silver as is the bezel on my black watch). should i go with this, or will i be doing too much?

thanks for all the help!

go conservative for interviews--white or light blue shirt. in this case you should wear a white shirt...also, if you have other shoes besides loafers i would consider wearing those instead. do you own any lace-ups?

-waystinthyme

go conservative for interviews--white or light blue shirt. in thiscase you should wear a white shirt...also, if you have other shoesbesides loafers i would consider wearing those instead. do you own anylace-ups?
unfortunately, no. i wish i did. these are the loafers that i own.
br547907-00p01v01.jpg

Originally Posted by RFX45

^^^
I think the darker one might be more versatile. Grey pants are versatile, grey jeans not so much.

Tonight, went real simple and casual, expecting rain.

Dont usually do this but what kinds of kicks are those?

Originally Posted by waystinthyme

just letting you know, i wasn't trying to be stubborn. i was just taking advice from my brother, who didn't wear a suit. i actually spoke to an advisor for the program, who told me that a suit wasn't necessary.

despite all of this, i ended up listening to all of you and purchased a heather gray suit from H&M. better safe than sorry, right? now, what to wear under the suit. i will definitely be wearing my black loafers, black leather belt, black dress watch, black tie.

on to the shirt...

are patterns okay for an interview? i was thinking a small patterned black gingham. or maybe thin stripes.

lastly, i usually wear a plain stainless-steel tie bar w/ my ties (my belt buckle is silver as is the bezel on my black watch). should i go with this, or will i be doing too much?

thanks for all the help!

go conservative for interviews--white or light blue shirt. in this case you should wear a white shirt...also, if you have other shoes besides loafers i would consider wearing those instead. do you own any lace-ups?

-waystinthyme

+1 ... i'd say ditch the black tie ... go with white, blue or some combination of white/blue stripes ... those loafers will do, but are not ideal (ideally you would want to be in oxfords as said above).

finally, i recommend checking out this site. lots of shirt tie combinations for you to pick from to get an idea of what would work.

http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/ym-gbpdefault/yr-yd-Men's-Shirts----Formal/productlisting.aspx?ppp=12&sortBy=&page=1&back=False&canned=&browse=Y

maybe when you settle on something, take a pic of it and post it up here for us to check out. good luck man!

I tried this coat on this weekend and it fit like a Glove!!! If your in the market for a khaki blazer this is it. Off the rack it was cut very excellent.

Saw a similar blazer from H&M a few days ago and they fit me very well. I'll probably go back and pick it up, it was only $60.
Only thing that pissed me off was that they didn't have the matching pants in my size.

Do yall have a favorite light wash denim ??

I've been looking at multiple pieces/brands and havent found anything I like.

Saw a similar blazer from H&M a few days ago and they fit me very well. I'll probably go back and pick it up, it was only $60.
Only thing that pissed me off was that they didn't have the matching pants in my size.
Rfx do you know if H&M will deliever like Uniqlo, i could call them and ask but maybe u know off hand. The only reason i didnt buy this 1 was because it was almost $300. But the material and fit were
pimp.gif
. I like that H&M prices much better! Plus i wanted a new Khaki suit for the spring.

Do you tailor those H&M blazers?  I tried on one that fits pretty well off the rack, of course it can be better.  But man, spending money to tailor the jacket that's $70 is awkward for me. 
laugh.gif
  PS the H&M blazers come in small sizes too, I've seen a 34. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

Do you tailor those H&M blazers?  I tried on one that fits pretty well off the rack, of course it can be better.  But man, spending money to tailor the jacket that's $70 is awkward for me. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

The smallest I've seen is 36 but I would like to try the 34 because I think it would fit better overall. H&M blazers differ by the season. The other ones I bought during fall/winter had to have the sleevs altered, $15 isn't bad but it fits great everywhere else. The khaki blazer I tried on probably won't need any alteration, even the sleeves seems about half an inch to an inch shorter than last seasons. I just hate how erratic H&M sales are, one weekend I would buy a jacket and the next weekend it would be on sale and then back to retail after that weekend.
Originally Posted by hadegbite

Rfx do you know if H&M will deliever like Uniqlo, i could call them and ask but maybe u know off hand. The only reason i didnt buy this 1 was because it was almost $300. But the material and fit were 
pimp.gif
. I like that H&M prices much better! Plus i wanted a new Khaki suit for the spring.

No, I don't think they ship. H&M are opening everywhere these days though. In my area, a year or two ago I had to drive 45-50 minutes to get to the nearest H&M and now there 3 within 10-15 minutes of me. Zara too, now there are 2 that are practically my neighbor.
laugh.gif
I 'd check out if one is opening in your area but you have a lot of cheaper options. Zara and Club Monaco has cheaper suits, not as cheap as H&M but cheaper than JCrew.

H&M has a new line though, it's called &Denim and they were selling denim shirt and denim jacket (yes denim jacket) for $15 each. If a size xs or small were available, I would have snatched it up quickly. H&M has plenty of trousers in different colors (navy, brown, khaki, etc...) for $30 and plenty of nice shirts for $15-$20. I could easily drop $500 there and come home with a whole wardrobe.
laugh.gif

embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by wj4

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Does H&M fit like Urban outfitters. I have an athletic build...http://niketalk.yuku.com/search/topic/topic/213108 so i cant wear the skinnier fits.

Does Urban Outfitter have their own brand? I don't think I've tried them on if they do so I can't comment. H&M is slimmer than most mall brands though, thats for sure. So if the JCrew fit you well, H&M might be too slim for you but then again I wouldn't say much until you try them on yourself. I have experienced it before when I thought something fit me really well until I tried on a much better fitting alternative and then my eyes were opened so that might be how you feel with H&M after you try them on. That's why one of my rule is try to go as small as I can until it fits me well without getting too uncomfortable and to be honest, for most brands, even their smallest size is too big for me.

Does Urban Outfitter have their own brand? I don't think I've tried them on if they do so I can't comment. H&M is slimmer than most mall brands though, thats for sure. So if the JCrew fit you well, H&M might be too slim for you but then again I wouldn't say much until you try them on yourself. I have experienced it before when I thought something fit me really well until I tried on a much better fitting alternative and then my eyes were opened so that might be how you feel with H&M after you try them on. That's why one of my rule is try to go as small as I can until it fits me well without getting too uncomfortable and to be honest, for most brands, even their smallest size is too big for me.
RFx I would love to be your size just for a couple of days, you can wear anything of the rack...once you get past a Medium desigers could care less about fit imo. Well think i will Just wait till i take my next trip to Miamai and try H&M out. Zara is my only option here in Houston and to me alot of their stuff is over priced.

pimp.gif
I'm pretty sure H&M won't deliver...and if you can afford it ($300 is pretty cheap for a suit, plus you could probably find a J. Crew coupon or online code, otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if it went on sale eventually), H&M's quality is typically not the greatest.  Don't get me wrong, you get something decent for the price, but the J. Crew suit will likely last you longer plus they have a pretty good return policy.

Niidawg posted a link to Charles Tyrwhitt, I think I had mentioned it earlier in the thread but I love their slim fit shirts and they're relatively inexpensive.  Plenty of patterns, neck & cuff options, etc.

RFx I would love to be your size just for a couple of days, you can wear anything of the rack...once you get past a Medium desigers could care less about fit imo. Well think i will Just wait till i take my next trip to Miamai and try H&M out. Zara is my only option here in Houston and to me alot of their stuff is over priced.

Nah, trust me, I can't wear everything off the rack. I only have a handful of affordable brands that fits me well off the rack. That is why I am glad I found 511's, I have a go to pants/jeans that are cheap.

Anyone know of or used a suede cleaner for shoes they would recommend. Winter has been a little rough on some of my shoes.

Originally Posted by Kobefan23

I too have trouble fitting the 511's, but dislike the 514's wide leg opening. If you're solely concerned about fit, I've found the H&M Sliqs to be a good compromise/middle ground between the 511/514's.
yea...i've just had TERRIBLE experiences with H&M jeans...quality sucks.

hey also, Claes are on Jack Threads for another day and a half...i remember someone was looking for discount Claes.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

i have an interview for grad school (doctor of physical therapy) next friday and i need something to wear. i don't own a suit so that's out of the question. the only things that i have set for my wardrobe for the interview is a pair of H&M charcoal, wool dress pants and black banana republic loafers. any suggestions on what i should wear up top?

If a blazer is out of the question, I'd go with a simple white shirt and a dark tie and a grey cardigan/sweater.
Although I would encourage a blazer for the interview.
You NEED to wear a suit to a professional interview.

If you aren't serious enough to invest in a suit for interviews, why should the school invest in educating you?
Dude's wearing shirts with no jacket to Grad School interviews? Where they do that at.

My fault, I never did grad school so I am not too sure what it entails.

my brother wore a sweater/tie/shirt combo to his pharmacy school interview and got in. he'll be making $70 - $80,000 minimum straight out of graduation. most male students who i see interview for grad school don't wear a suit. i'm sure most health science grad schools understand that students don't make that much money and can't afford suits.

anyways...RFX: my pants are charcoal. would that be too much gray? would a heather gray sweater and a navy tie work?

Stop being bullish and listen to the advice of almost everyone. as i said, you MAY get the spot ... but why RISK it.

Dont live to regret your actions. you are putting unneccessary risk into your interview, which is a pathway to your future. Hit up a couple thrift stores, you can find a decent fitting suit for less than 30 dollars. I interview a LOT of people, and if you come into my office without a suit ... you are out of contention PERIOD.

I am sure you will probably go without the suit, get the gig and come laugh in our face, so i rest my case at this point.

on to the shirt...

thanks for all the help!
Wear a suit PERIOD. I went through the interview process for Dental School back in October and November, and EVERYONE was wearing a suit, the thing was I was the only one that stood out since I wasn't wearing a navy or black suit (or dark suit for that matter) and I did not wear a white shirt as well. I went with a light blue shirt and one of the interviewers actually complemented my attire saying that I was perhaps the most well dressed candidate she has interviewed and that if admissions were soley based on attire, I would be in. I chukkled a bit lol. But really, wear a suit, you'll get added points if anything and they'll take you more serious. They say it's not mandatory, as they should in case a prospective student could not afford one, but to me it was a need.

Wear a suit, it can't hurt your chances, only enhance them. It's your career, the rest of your life, go all out.

Back
Top Bottom