Driving...a privelage?

I wasn't born here in the States so I've never heard this before till i got my license. I mean the government issues the license, but we still payfor it (new or renew). We also pay for the vehicle, insurance, gas, when we get it fix, when we get a ticket. So it's not like it's free to drive. Can somebody enlighten me please? And please, just stick to the subjest. Thanks.

i'm 16 and I worked my but off to get my license. at age 15 1/2 i had to take a online course about rules then had to go take my permit test then after 6-10 hr with an instructor. After 6 months of having your permit u can get ur license but u can only drive yourself. so yeah I guess it's a privilege.
btw I live in Los Angeles

Driving a car comes with responsibilities and failure to meet the responsibilities results in numerous things. Don't you think operating a 3500 hundredpound of machinery requires some restrictions?

Originally Posted by Kobe jordan

i'm 16 and I worked my but off to get my license. at age 15 1/2 i had to take a online course about rules then had to go take my permit test then after 6 -10 hr with an instructor. After 6 months of having your permit u can get ur license but u can only drive yourself. so yeah I guess it's a privilege.

isn't that what almost everyone has to do these days?

we didn't have to take the online course but we had to take a class either in HS or through some company...and you can drive someone else in the car ifthey are family...

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

i'm 16 and I worked my but off to get my license. at age 15 1/2 i had to take a online course about rules then had to go take my permit test then after 6 -10 hr with an instructor. After 6 months of having your permit u can get ur license but u can only drive yourself. so yeah I guess it's a privilege.

we didn't have to take the online course but we had to take a class either in HS or through some company...and you can drive someone else in the car if they are family...
My school doesn't offer it maybe it is public school and they are short on money and I could drive my parents but no my little bro

its only a privelage when you're 16-18 and living at home with the 'rents.

also maybe for city cats, cause they get around well without driving.

Yes, driving is a privilege. If you break the rules (and you get caught), you suffer the consequences. I used to always be concerned about speeding everywhere,now I just slap it on cruise control at 65 MPH and just get there when I get there. I just drove from Dana Point to Long Beach and my average MPG right now is52.5.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Yes, driving is a privilege. If you break the rules (and you get caught), you suffer the consequences. I used to always be concerned about speeding everywhere, now I just slap it on cruise control at 65 MPH and just get there when I get there. I just drove from Dana Point to Long Beach and my average MPG right now is 52.5.
u probably have the luxury of driving a prius

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

we didn't have to take the online course but we had to take a class either in HS or through some company...and you can drive someone else in the car if they are family...
My school doesn't offer it maybe it is public school and they are short on money and I could drive my parents but no my little bro

i live in VA and we're not bankrupt so maybe
laugh.gif
but here you candrive siblings once you get your license and i think maybe 1 friend...i don't remember

Yes, driving is a privilege. If you break the rules (and you get caught), you suffer the consequences. I used to always be concerned about speeding everywhere, now I just slap it on cruise control at 65 MPH and just get there when I get there. I just drove from Dana Point to Long Beach and my average MPG right now is 52.5.
Yes! I hate it and love it at the same time. It's ugly, and it has no passing power, but it can get you 550+ miles for $30. Trade offs...

Yes! I hate it and love it at the same time. It's ugly, and it has no passing power, but it can get you 550+ miles for $30. Trade offs...
my driver's ed had that car and ur right had no passing power but saves money in this broken economy

my driver's ed had that car and ur right had no passing power but saves money in this broken economy
but why waste 30k (dono how much it costs exactly but i know they aren't cheap) on a car like that when i can get 38 mpg on highway on a 98corolla which costs 10x less?

sorry to get off topic but yea not everyone can drive so it definitely is a privilage...i think a lot of people are forgetting that on the road they thinkthey're in their own living room with their own rules.
smh.gif

Yes it is - people take it for granted. people where I'm from need to learn how to drive (merge, park, stay in your lane and not take up part of anotherlane, make a left turn by going completely in the left turn lane and not block the straight-lane... basics man the basics)

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

but why waste 30k (dono how much it costs exactly but i know they aren't cheap) on a car like that when i can get 38 mpg on highway on a 98 corolla which costs 10x less?

sorry to get off topic but yea not everyone can drive so it definitely is a privilage...i think a lot of people are forgetting that on the road they think they're in their own living room with their own rules.
smh.gif
unless you going 15mph on the highway, that aint happening

Originally Posted by jackiechizzan

Originally Posted by ThuG LyFe

but why waste 30k (dono how much it costs exactly but i know they aren't cheap) on a car like that when i can get 38 mpg on highway on a 98 corolla which costs 10x less?

sorry to get off topic but yea not everyone can drive so it definitely is a privilage...i think a lot of people are forgetting that on the road they think they're in their own living room with their own rules.
smh.gif
unless you going 15mph on the highway, that aint happening
1998 Corolla gets 24 city/30 highway, (26 combined). 2008 Corolla Type S gets 26 city/35 highwa, figure around 30 mpg combined (~17k sticker). We paid $22,500 sticker for our Prius. Sticker says it gets 51 city/48 highway. Realistically, it can get 50-60 MPG depending on your driving habits and theroad. On level ground it gets a very strong average. On anything downhill, it rarely needs to use the engine. Uphill is the only time it really hurts it(and going 75-80 on level ground). Driving from the San Fernando Valley to Long Beach, I averaged 63 MPG (mostly downhill). Driving from Dana Point to LongBeach, I averaged 52.5 (a lot more elevation gain).

98_toyota_corrola_le2.jpg

2192574631_477c90527d.jpg

I don't think it looks that much better, but it's a much newer car, and I don't want to be driving around a 10+ year old base model Toyota.

So knowing that I average 50 MPG with the Prius, and maybe 30 MPG with the Corolla, here's what my fuel cost would be lifetime, assuming I drove the sameamount with the Corolla, and gas at $3.00/gallon (average cost around here for 87).

I have driven my Prius 42,000 miles since November 14, 2007.
42,000/50 = 840 gallons of gas x $3.00/gallon = $2,520 spent on fuel for the Prius
42,000/30 = 1,400 gallons of gas x $3.00/gallon = $4,200 spent on fuel for the Corolla

Even if I give the Corolla 35 mpg, it's still $3,600 in fuel, almost $1,100 more than the Prius. This is over almost 2 years. Going with the 30 MPG (morerealistic, because I know I wouldn't be concerned about getting the best mileage), I have spent $1,680 less on gas, and again, this is over not quite 2years.

Over time, the 5k more that I spent on the Prius vs. the Toyota Corolla pays itself off in fuel savings.

I'm sure they classify it as a privilege not a right, because convicted drunk drivers would be able to find some legal loophole to reclaim their license.

Why wouldn't it be a privilege? You don't have a right to break laws and do other stupid maneuvers or reckless acts with your car.

JR5

Of course its a privilege. Driving is not a necessity but a benefit. There is no law sayin that u MUST drive a vehicle. It does get pricey but that's whenu're cheap and irresponsible. Don't abuse the privilege and the rewards outweigh the cost by a landslide

Back
Top Bottom