Driving Across the Country? 2300 Miles & Driving.

I'm about to head to Downtown Phoenix/Tempe today. Check out ASU as well.

I like the fact that there are 24 gyms out here and a lot of trails for biking.

No excuses to fall out of shape out here.

I just wanted to be somewhere close to Luke AFB as that is a viable place of employment.

Coming from the DC area where it took me an hour & a half on a good day to go 18 miles. A short commute is important.
Bro...welcome to AZ!! I've been here for 7+ years and its been great.  I'm in the North Phoenix area (101 & 51fwy interchange), I work in Tempe...and I'm sure you're loving the weather right now!  Like I'm sure you've been told, summer sux balls...but rest of the year is just crazy nice.  Some info to help you going:

- Glendale:  Has the outlets, westgate area, and close to Peoria....which has an Asian market and pretty diverse if you're into Vietnamese/asian food....but nothing compares to diverse grub than.....

- Chandler:  Think  of this area around town as the "melting pot", or as much as you get here in PHoenix.  You'll have all your different types of grub there.  Really reminds me of the hoods back in Southern Cali where I grew up.

- Scottsdale North:  Kierland/Quarters area has the hipster stores(HM, Apple, Urban Outfitters, etc)....open area so great for night time strollin or people watching.  Has all the high end Restaurants: Mastros, Ruth Chris, Maggianos, Flemings, etc

- Old Town Scottsdale:  This is probably my favorite place to hang.  Has a night life, cool vibe and structures, great eats....there's a shoe spot called High Point which has a quickstrke account and carries all the street wear, and its right across Fashion Square Mall

- Tempe:  Straight college town vibe.  Think about it...ASU has 60,000 students, so its a gift and a curse....you'll have all the awesome joints, but some will have Douche Bags there..LOL

Hit me up for any questions man.  Take a weekend around winter time and take the 1.5hr drive to Flagstaff/Sedona....you'll see amazing structures, rocks, and even snow!

Op what are you driving out there?

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 with fairly low miles and all the work/maintenance done by me.

Not really worth dropping $1,000 to ship that kind of car out here. I guess I've been due for a new car, but I don't believe in debt/car payments like that. I like paying for things up front or at least having the funds to do so if I wish.

I'll check the car market out here in AZ or might go back and just buy a motorcycle and leave my car in VA for a bit.

*Books on tape...I need to check this out. Long overdue.

Bro...welcome to AZ!! I've been here for 7+ years and its been great.  I'm in the North Phoenix area (101 & 51fwy interchange), I work in Tempe...and I'm sure you're loving the weather right now!  Like I'm sure you've been told, summer sux balls...but rest of the year is just crazy nice.  Some info to help you going:

- Glendale:  Has the outlets, westgate area, and close to Peoria....which has an Asian market and pretty diverse if you're into Vietnamese/asian food....but nothing compares to diverse grub than.....

- Chandler:  Think  of this area around town as the "melting pot", or as much as you get here in PHoenix.  You'll have all your different types of grub there.  Really reminds me of the hoods back in Southern Cali where I grew up.

- Scottsdale North:  Kierland/Quarters area has the hipster stores(HM, Apple, Urban Outfitters, etc)....open area so great for night time strollin or people watching.  Has all the high end Restaurants: Mastros, Ruth Chris, Maggianos, Flemings, etc

- Old Town Scottsdale:  This is probably my favorite place to hang.  Has a night life, cool vibe and structures, great eats....there's a shoe spot called High Point which has a quickstrke account and carries all the street wear, and its right across Fashion Square Mall

- Tempe:  Straight college town vibe.  Think about it...ASU has 60,000 students, so its a gift and a curse....you'll have all the awesome joints, but some will have Douche Bags there..LOL

Hit me up for any questions man.  Take a weekend around winter time and take the 1.5hr drive to Flagstaff/Sedona....you'll see amazing structures, rocks, and even snow!

Good looks on the info. Just got back from hiking down to the Supai Indian Village this past weekend. The visuals were crazy and it got as cold as 32 degrees.

I've definitely been trying to find a good spot for Vietnamese and Indian food. I'll peep the areas you posted for sure.

I've heard a lot about Old Town Scottsdale and Mill Ave...Hope to check that out sooner than later.

Appreciate the insight. :smokin

Never drove out west. However, I did drive from NYC to Miami and made stops in DC and Philadelphia on the trip back. That was my longest drive ever, just over 3500 km. Also went from NY to Montreal, made a stop in Niagara Fall on the Canadian side. That was a lot shorter. Did a lot of train traveling as well overseas. Most recently, me and my girl flew in to Rome and then visited Florence, Milan, and Venice. Spent 21 days altogether but it wasn't enough. Word of advice if you plan on doing something similar visit Rome last cause that exhausted us tremendously by knocking out Rome first. All the sites are scattered. Think Wall St. to Harlem, was walking around 10 km daily. My uncle flew in to Madrid and drove up and down Spain and Portugal this past June with his buddies. After seeing the pictures that's my next trip after I graduate.

Never drove out west. However, I did drive from NYC to Miami and made stops in DC and Philadelphia on the trip back. That was my longest drive ever, just over 3500 km. Also went from NY to Montreal, made a stop in Niagara Fall on the Canadian side. That was a lot shorter. Did a lot of train traveling as well overseas. Most recently, me and my girl flew in to Rome and then visited Florence, Milan, and Venice. Spent 21 days altogether but it wasn't enough. Word of advice if you plan on doing something similar visit Rome last cause that exhausted us tremendously by knocking out Rome first. All the sites are scattered. Think Wall St. to Harlem, was walking around 10 km daily. My uncle flew in to Madrid and drove up and down Spain and Portugal this past June with his buddies. After seeing the pictures that's my next trip after I graduate.

Nice. My Sister lives in Paris and we still have family in Morocco.

I flew out to see France with her and we checked out Spain/Barcelona too.

My old lady is from Spain and her and her family take annual trips back to Spain/France.

I was supposed to head to Morocco this past August but chose to move out here first and get set up.

Rome has always been somewhere on the top of my list. Food/Visuals/History seem top notch there.

1300 miles down. 1000 to go. Rained all through VA and snowed through most of TN. Passed through Arkansas earlier and approaching OKC.

I got tired driving from the Bay Area to Santa BarbarA in college (5 hours). No thanks...

that view driving down the California coast though :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: I love this state

Last edited:
That drive sounds so much fun. I did a cross country from California to South Carolina in a 2000 Civic Si. My brother wanted his car because he was stationed there. Didn't know how to drive stick prior to that trip. Learned how in a week. Wish I could do that trip again. On the way back, rented a toyota corolla, then got a speeding ticket in arizona. :smh:

I40 is actually a snooze fest, boring as hell..
I just did Conover, NC to Modesto, CA two weeks ago, not much to see..

Then again I drive big rigs so I'm not really wowed until I hit CO, UT, MT..

Good luck, OP.

Come around to Canada eh, we'll light some up eh
pimp.gif

I've done the Chicago to Vegas trip twice, and then From Vegas to LA and San Diego. Both times went with my now ex and drove the entire thing, best advice I can give is to have someone with you willing to drive or you'll burn out. Falling behind the wheel even for a second is very risky I say this from experience. Watch your speed entering and leaving states as the police are usually heavier in these areas and won't tolerate ****. Got a ticket going 8 over 1 mile from the Colorado border in Nebraska. Try to plan stops in big or interesting cities to keep it fresh, and always pay attention to signs they'll normally give you a heads up if you're passing the last gas station for a while.

Drove from my last duty station in NC to Tacoma Washington, 2 years ago, by myself.

Won't ever do it again!!!! Eff that

i remember when my mom and step dad would have problems we would take the greyhound from GA to california...

we did that ish like 5 times in one year,  3 days on that bus with everyones hot breath and people with no deodorant was terrible.

now that im older i would love to drive across the country, took a long time to get out of texas though.

On a side note the views driving through the mountains in CO, and UT are truly breathtaking and some of the most amazing things I've seen

Want to drive from ny to cali soon...idek why...just seems like something I need

i remember when my mom and step dad would have problems we would take the greyhound from GA to california...

we did that ish like 5 times in one year,  3 days on that bus with everyones hot breath and people with no deodorant was terrible.

now that im older i would love to drive across the country, took a long time to get out of texas though.
I'm good off taking the Greyhound specifically, other bus lines are fine but the greyhound seems to always attract the drama. Last time I took it two people got arrested, one for saying he was gonna come back with a gun and shoot everyone at the station and a lady high on crack who decided to yell at us for judging her when we don't know how her life ended up the way it did.

I also saw three people who were running away from home due to abusive spouses/parents they were all bruised up it was sad.

Took the China bus from VA to NY one time and dudes where actually moving something up north and were openly talking about trapping

North Carolina :x

Trip took about 13 hours wasn't that bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom