DSLR Heads......recommend me a good lens? NEEK!!! Info on your lens

Sup folks....

Just got into the DSLR thing and I wanted to know what lenses people recommend? No real preference. Justwhatever you think is good whether fisheye, telephoto, macro, etc. I am pretty much into all of them but just wanted to know if you photo heads recommend acertain kind.

Also, has anyone tried the IS lenses (Image stabilizer) from Canon? I do want to take some action shots anddecent night photo shots with no flash and it seems this one does wonders for it according to the pamphlet I read.

D66AE0DC865A4021AB300ED3A0C4CD11.jpg

Any help appreciated….thanks!

just spent weeks of researching and finally settled on a new lens for my rebel xti.

first question to answer is always gonna be: what type of shots are you going to be taking?

this site helped me A LOT: www.the-digital-picture.com/

I originally wanted IS on my new lens too, but after reading a lot of articles and reviews, its only helpful in very specific situations and can actually beunnecessary if you have a "fast" lens (large aperture)

btw, i settled on a 17-40mm f4/L. gotta love that L-glass build quality.

also, before you decide, make sure you go into a camera store to see the lens in person (if you were planning on buying online). I was set on the 17-55mm ISfor a while until i went into a store and saw how gigantic that thing was.

hope this helps.

like the people above me said. It all depends on what ur going to use it for. I mostly do portrait shots(Fashion photography) so i have a 50mm and 85 mm f/1.8so when i do runway shows i have that extra length for it. I love them both but i def need a wide angle for landscape shots. I've been hearing nothing butgood things about the sigma 17-40f/4L but i think my next cop is going to be the sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 i need it so badly.

Appreciate the help. Honeslty after looking at Neeks shots on theHundreds.com, I really dig the quality of his shots. I want a fisheye/wideangle and for it totake action shots without blur. The fisheye in general will help me take pics of skating sequences and some overall sceneic shots.

Also, anyone recommend a lens that takes good night/indoor?

for the best quality in glass, always go with nikon/nikkor for nikons, and canon for canons. with that said - what kind of camera do you have? not all lenseswill fit onto all camera bodies.

I have a Canon XTi. I was looking at some Sigma fisheye and it looked (price was somewhat decent ...$400-500) pretty good but I seriously want a betterdistortion.

EDITed title so Neek can answer my question.....

All depends on your price range and what you're shooting.

But a wide angle is always good to have. I bought the Sigma 10-20mm and love it. Probably not as sharp as the Nikkor 12-24 but hey...its half the price and youcan always sharpen the image in Photoshop.

Also have the 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Nikkor cuz i got it dirt cheap ($100) and it blows away the 18-55 kit lens from a sharpness/picture quality standpoint.

Have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Got it for free from ebayologist and love the depth of field ability of f/1.8.

Also bought a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 the other day. Need it for the zoom when taking pictures of my kids during their activities in low light situations(basketball, martial arts, dance, etc etc) so the f/2.8 will really come in handy. Plus I bought it used for half the retail price (~$800 retail....got it for$430 shipped). Searched the web and there isn't one bad review....very sharp, focuses fast, not too heavy and big. The sample photos I've seen havebeen
eek.gif
pimp.gif

I'm trying to sell the Nikon 18-55 kit lens...so if you're interested hit me up.

i use canon 28mm-135mm with IS. it's a little big but it gives a good range, so it's a good overall lens. cost me a little more than $400.

^^^I have the Nikon version. Love it. Here are a few sample photos

2219963816_564db43f9d.jpg

2219204669_a9dc672e18.jpg

A panoramic I did with shots taken with the Sigma

2218865017_4f7fc573c3.jpg

nice panoramic. I have the 17-85mm IS and it's really good for an all-purpose lens. Here's a shot taken with my 80mm prime f1.8+XTi (with addedtext):

my favorite website to read about lenses: www.fredmiranda.com. Goodluck with your DSLR journey.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Jaw Knee C

You take this picture in Oakland? I swear that's like right next to my house...

It's a golf range in Foster City.
And thanks fellas. Appreciate the compliments.

So as far as brand and qaulity, Nikon is better then a Sigma lens? I was looking Sigmas Fisheye and wanted the 10mm one, but I do want fairly clear photos.

And dude, I'll PM Neek to find out what he's got.

Sigma glass has never been rated better than Canon L glass, at least in all the reviews that I've read.

Don't even bother at looking at Nikon, cuz you've got an XTi (I hope that was obvious).

My suggestion, if you want to go wide angle, is the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS. It's about as low a focal length as you can go for an XTi with a Canon lens.I've used this lens before and the image quality on it is top notch. I've never used the Sigma wide angle lenses...but I've read up on themextensively and the reviews aren't all that great on it. But that's obviously up to you to decide.

Check out www.the-digital-picture.com for Canon lens reviews. Also check out www.photozone.de/reviews. They've got a lot of good user submitted reviews andratings.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Originally Posted by Jaw Knee C

You take this picture in Oakland? I swear that's like right next to my house...
yo an dee 51o, Are you talking about the montclair golf course or the one near claremont?

Back
Top Bottom