Dwayne Johnson set to play Folk Hero John Henry vol. Not black enough?

As some of you may have heard, The Rock is set to play Black Folk Hero, John Henry in an upcoming movie.

https://people.com/movies/dwayne-johnson-netflix-john-henry-movie
Black twitter is pissed because a half black actor is cast to play the role. If you google it, there's already been a dozen think pieces written about how much they hate The Rock in this role.

In the eyes of many, Johnson isn't black enough to play John Henry in skin tone or attitude (in the eyes of some, he doesn't 'claim' his black side enough). I get that part of Johnson's success is his racial ambiguity (I've seen movies where he's mixed, others where's he's black and others where his family is straight up white :lol:) but that doesn't make him any less black.

My issue with this is that the same people who are calling out the Rock for not being black enough are the same people who are quick to claim Meghan Markle as one of their own. They can't have it both ways. Thoughts? :nerd:

Last edited:
USA-3085.jpg

John Henry is one of my favorite folklore. Not a fan of the Rock as an actor in general.

But, IMO, I think the studio could've casted someone else for the role. I assume they offered the job to The Rock because he's marketable.

The rock is my child hood idol but if I look at it, the Rock has NEVER spoke up about ANY black issues. In most of his movies he's portrayed as racially ambiguous but he's always embraced his Samoan side, last black thing the Rock has done was be in Nation of Domination...

And that was 20+ years ago lol and to my wrestling folk... You ever wonder why they never brought back NoD back even for like a one nighter? They've brought back a lot groups but never them for some reason just to do a raise fist pose or something. They were a popular group and most of the wrestlers are still in good standing with WWE (Obviously Rock, Mark Henry, Farooq, Papa Shango, DLo brown)

I mean iono man, Comic-Con white folks get hella upset when white comics are portrayed by black actors...black Twitter always supports the black actors.

Wouldn't this be ironic?

Shoot I don't even like the term black Twitter, they certainly don't speak for me on all issues.

You ever wonder why they never brought back NoD back even for like a one nighter? They've brought back a lot groups but never them for some reason just to do a raise fist pose or something. They were a popular group and most of the wrestlers are still in good standing with WWE (Obviously Rock, Mark Henry, Farooq, Papa Shango, DLo brown)

No, I've never wondered this but you know damn well why they haven't brought them back

I mean the rock dad is straight black
No questions about it
So him not being black enough is silly
The rock doesn’t white wash himself
But I do get he may not speak up
About black issues
Either way most of the folks complaining
Ain’t even gonna see the movie so why trip

The rock is my child hood idol but if I look at it, the Rock has NEVER spoke up about ANY black issues. In most of his movies he's portrayed as racially ambiguous but he's always embraced his Samoan side, last black thing the Rock has done was be in Nation of Domination...

And that was 20+ years ago lol and to my wrestling folk... You ever wonder why they never brought back NoD back even for like a one nighter? They've brought back a lot groups but never them for some reason just to do a raise fist pose or something. They were a popular group and most of the wrestlers are still in good standing with WWE (Obviously Rock, Mark Henry, Farooq, Papa Shango, DLo brown)

I think you're getting a little bit too meta about it. So you're saying, that an actor can't portray a certain character on film because he doesn't talk about certain topics in his real life?

As a lightskined mixed negro I am the last person to say someone ain’t black enough. But the rock ain’t black enough. ***** don’t acknowledge his **** he soft shoein for a Hollywood career. I won’t hate on that but this ain’t his lane

I mean is he even “looked at” as a black actor? I’d say no

Oh, and I don’t mind him in this role at all really. Movie will most likely be trash anyway

Back
Top Bottom