Eagles are 23 1/2 point underdogs against the Patriots this Sunday....

I'd never thought I'd see this in the salary cap era in the NFL. I remember the 49ers being favored by 15 on a weekly basis back in 94, but its 2007for crying out loud. I can't imagine what the spread will be against the Jets and Dolphins...

PHILADELPHIA -- Just three seasons after being separated by just three points in Super Bowl XXXIX, the gap between the Patriots and Eagles has widened tohistoric proportions: Philly is a 23½-point underdog.
That is the largest point spread for an NFL game that does not involve an expansion team, according toodds-making experts in Las Vegas. On Dec. 5, 1976, the expansion Tampa BayBuccaneers were 24-point underdogs to the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers covered easily, winning 42-0. "Nowadays, you don't see toomany spreads over 16 or 17 points," said Sean Van Patten, an oddsmaker at Sports Consultants in Las Vegas. "That's because most teams take theirstarters out in the fourth quarter of a lopsided game. The Patriots don't. I call this phenomenon The [Bill] Belichick Factor."

By continuing to pour it on the fourth quarter, Belichick is throwing Vegas out of whack. And making bookies run for cover. It all started Sunday night afterBelichick walked across the field at Ralph Wilson Stadium to shake hands with Buffalo Bills head coach **** Jauron, an awkward moment captured on national TV after the Patriotsannihilated the Bills 56-10. "The line for the Patriots-Eagles game was immediately set at 17 points -- and the big bettors, the sports syndicate guys,jumped on it, bet it hard," said Brandon Lang, whose life was depicted by Matthew McConaughey in the movie "Two for the Money" and is regardedas the nation's leading sports handicapper.

According to bookies and oddsmakers, all the big money took the Patriots and gave the points. Why? Because Belichick has been running up the score. "Sothe spread jumped all the way to 22 in a matter of minutes," said Lang. "You add the fact that Donovan McNabb is injured and you have the perfect storm," said a bookie in SouthPhiladelphia who asked not to be identified. McNabb has a swollen thumb on his right (throwing) hand and a sprained ankle. He did not finish the game onSunday, when the Eagles beat the Miami Dolphins in Philadelphia. On Monday, headcoach Andy Reid said his franchise quarterback is day-to-day. "McNabb is worth four more points, in my opinion," said Van Patten. "Which meansif he doesn't play Sunday, the spread in this game could set the record." If the record is not set in this game, Van Patten said, don't besurprised if it is threatened in two of the Patriots' upcoming games -- against the New York Jets on Dec. 16 or the Dolphins on Dec. 23. "The Jets game is the one to watch," saidVan Patten. "The perception, at least, is that Belichick is running up the score because he's angry over Spygate. And he was caught by the Jets backin the first week of the season. It's gonna be payback time." Sal Paolantonio covers the NFL for ESPN.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

Pats are not going to make that spread.
eek.gif

Why don't you bet then?

Pats average winning margin is 17+.

They are going to cover the spread and then some.

The odds makers are saying we're worse than the Bills? The Bills were +16 at home. Which means they would have been +23 at Foxboro.

Unreal spread - i've never seen anything like it..

another strange one is the steelers giving up like 2.5 touchdowns to the fins.. i know it's the fins, but we ain't good enough to be giving up thosekinda points to anybody right now.

Something tells me both the steelers and the fins will cover though, b/c i see a lot of sharp money giving up those points, fading the general public'sinitial "whoa" reaction to that many points.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

The odds makers are saying we're worse than the Bills? The Bills were +16 at home. Which means they would have been +23 at Foxboro.

First of all - home field in the NFL is only worth about 3 points on average.
Secondly - you're looking at it the wrong way... these lines have to do with public perception, not necessarily how the experts see the gameplaying out. They want to nail the line a lot of the time, sure.. but they also will play games, and if they know they can get a lot of NE money on aninflated number, they will do it and hope like hell the Pats pull their starters early so they can cash in.

Think about it - how low of a number would it really take for most people, at this point after seeing the Pats do this week after week, to hammer the Patsminus the points? I think anything under 24 right now is going to get a lot of patriots money... doesn't mean they are 24 points better, just that morepeople are willing to bet they are than aren't. The book makers are riding this wave of Patriots sack-riding, and it's going to pay off huge for themthe first time the pats don't cover.. which they need, since i'll bet they've been getting killed by them the past few weeks.

Lol I know we have played bad football all year but how come we get the widest spread in the history of the NFL but not any other teams?

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Secondly - you're looking at it the wrong way... these lines have to do with public perception, not necessarily how the experts see the game playing out. They want to nail the line a lot of the time, sure.. but they also will play games, and if they know they can get a lot of NE money on an inflated number, they will do it and hope like hell the Pats pull their starters early so they can cash in.

Think about it - how low of a number would it really take for most people, at this point after seeing the Pats do this week after week, to hammer the Pats minus the points? I think anything under 24 right now is going to get a lot of patriots money... doesn't mean they are 24 points better, just that more people are willing to bet they are than aren't. The book makers are riding this wave of Patriots sack-riding, and it's going to pay off huge for them the first time the pats don't cover.. which they need, since i'll bet they've been getting killed by them the past few weeks.

Yeah, I meant 22. 23.5 is such a ridiculous amount. It's two pro teams. Anything can happen. The Eagles do have a decent defense. Winning by 24 seemslike so much. No way I'd ever put money on a team favored by that much. It's not like they've won every game by 24 points. They've only done itthree times. Twice against the Bills, and once against the ******** who probably played the worst football ever that day.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Secondly - you're looking at it the wrong way... these lines have to do with public perception, not necessarily how the experts see the game playing out. They want to nail the line a lot of the time, sure.. but they also will play games, and if they know they can get a lot of NE money on an inflated number, they will do it and hope like hell the Pats pull their starters early so they can cash in.

Think about it - how low of a number would it really take for most people, at this point after seeing the Pats do this week after week, to hammer the Pats minus the points? I think anything under 24 right now is going to get a lot of patriots money... doesn't mean they are 24 points better, just that more people are willing to bet they are than aren't. The book makers are riding this wave of Patriots sack-riding, and it's going to pay off huge for them the first time the pats don't cover.. which they need, since i'll bet they've been getting killed by them the past few weeks.

Yeah, I meant 22. 23.5 is such a ridiculous amount. It's two pro teams. Anything can happen. The Eagles do have a decent defense. Winning by 24 seems like so much. No way I'd ever put money on a team favored by that much. It's not like they've won every game by 24 points. They've only done it three times. Twice against the Bills, and once against the ******** who probably played the worst football ever that day.

I'm entirely with you - i would never bet either side of this, it's just too large a number, in a very volatile setting. I could honestly see itgoing either way with how crazy explosive the pats have been and how hit and miss the eagles have been.

The number is inflated, without a doubt.. but it will still draw a ton of money, i'm sure of that.

these lines have to do with public perception

If the Pats get the same line as the Bills, you know damn well it's gonna be lopsided as they become more confident with the team by theweeks.

NE 38 @ NYJ 14 (24 point difference)
SD 14 @ NE 38 (24 point difference)
BUF 7 @ NE 38 (31 point difference)
WAS 7 @ NE 52 (45 point difference)
NE 56 @ BUF 10 (46 point difference)

5 times, 10 games.

these lines have to do with public perception

yeah theyll set it to where they think theyll get action on both sides. i think ppl will side with Philly as the week progresses, so the line will def movedown. but thatll still put them at about 3 touchdown favorites.
eek.gif

Co-sign on everything craftsy said.

Books are trying to get the most money they can.

With that said I'll lean towards philly and the points

Amazing. That is simply insane. Another reason Pats pour it on. Messes with everything!

Foxboro aka No Man's Land here we come.
frown.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif

I SERIOUSLY hope for an upset.

BTW I need the .gif of the man falling off the 4 story building. That's exactly how I will feel if the Eagles get blown out.

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Didn't the Dolphins cover against the Pats? Even though it was an all out blowout they only lost by 21.

i believe the spread was 18. if i'm not mistaken the pats have covered the spread in every game this year.

edit:
i forgot about the colts game.

The Eagles had trouble with James Thrash a few weeks ago.....good luck with those Pats WR's....

^Co-sign...if they can't stop James Trash, how the blue hell are they gonna even contain Moss, Stallworth and (the benificiary of all the attention theyget) Welker? Moss/T.O. with 4 again this week?

Back
Top Bottom