eBay charging sales tax unappreciation thread.

****s annoying. Bought something last night and I had to pay sales tax on it. First time that’s ever happened for me as a buyer.

I can deal with the inconvenience and just be more selective on what I purchase.

But I already know it’s going to lead to all sorts of issues as a seller, buyers trying to cancel purchases, trying to haggle that tax down after agreeing to purchase etc.

I just noticed this about 3 weeks ago. Logged into my PayPal and thought I got hacked lol. All these separate little charges showed up and freaked me out. Government had to get their cut somehow eventually. :rolleyes

It sucks. I’m tempted to just tag my ig in the pictures for the stuff I have listed and just hope potential buyers are smart enough to contact me on there, or to make a separate Instagram/Twitter with my eBay username.

I’m definitely going to look for ways to use eBays platform to reach the audience it does while finding unconventional ways to make the sales outside of eBay without having a paper trail in my eBay inbox.

Mercari or other seller platforms>*

I gotta try Mercari. I’ve used offer up to sell locally and to buy stuff. I’ve landed some steals on offer up, I’ve also had situations where I’ve bought something for cheap, only for the seller to refund me and not ship the item because someone contacted them and offered more after the deal was done. I’ve heard that happens quite a bit on mercari as well. But selling wise. I might start listing more stuff. eBay has been annoying me as of lately.

So now you’re extreme low balling? :rofl:

Seller: Asking for $200 for these dead stock Jordans
You: Can you do $20 with free shipping? Let me know.
I be doing that on eBay and Grailed and mf’s threaten to block me all the time. Effective 1/10 times

Lowballing comes with the territory on eBay and seller sites like that. I just set it up to automatically decline crap offers. I’ll lowball on eBay offer wise. Most the time they’ll decline and I’ll offer my serious offer, but occasionally I’ll get some steals.

I get more annoyed with lowballing on Facebook groups where people tend to know the value of the stuff and those groups usually consist of knowledgable collectors. This tends to be the norm on most the Facebook jersey groups I’m on. Lowballer central on those things.

Yeah you never used to have to pay tax on retailers that didn't have a physical location in your state. You can thank Republicans and their ability to define the supreme Court for that. Lots of things folks didn't pay attention to are going to cost them for generations. But voting doesn't matter of course.

I had to pay taxes on a pair of shoes and I was shook!

It made me not want to buy them, I’ll definitely be buying less on eBay.

Regarding low ballers, I don’t respond to them or immediately decline. I don’t even put my auctions on OBO but eBay switches it sometimes.

When I submit an offer I usually go 10-15 dollars less than the price. When I’m selling something a buyer will have the audacity to submit offers $50 dollars cheaper. :ohwell:

It’s going to be an interesting dynamic. I haven’t submitted any offers since the change. But I’m already seeing the potential problems. If an offer is submitted and the price with tax and shipping isn’t shown before the buyer submits the offer, it’s going to cause sellers problems and that’s on eBay.

if as a buyer, I submit an offer of $100 plus 10 shipping and after the seller accepts, when I check out to pay it says $100 plus $10 for tax and $10 for shipping, I’d be pissed.

It’s going to be an interesting dynamic. I haven’t submitted any offers since the change. But I’m already seeing the potential problems. If an offer is submitted and the price with tax and shipping isn’t shown before the buyer submits the offer, it’s going to cause sellers problems and that’s on eBay.

if as a buyer, I submit an offer of $100 plus 10 shipping and after the seller accepts, when I check out to pay it says $100 plus $10 for tax and $10 for shipping, I’d be pissed.

And that’s Exactly what happened to me!

Tax was $6 and it’s only $6, but I wasn’t expecting an extra $6.

Reactions: Ube
The worst part is when you start thinking about how many times the government gets their cut when you buy from eBay/GOAT/StockX/etc.

So we now have to pay tax on items that were already taxed? And sometimes pay MORE tax than the original buyer paid, in the case of rarer items? Crazy.

And I know this happens with stuff like houses and cars, but man it felt good to get over on The Man for a few dollars here and there when it came to sneakers. :lol:

Copped a iPad Air + Pencil a few weeks ago and had a pretty good deal when the auction ended

Then the tax came thru after...

e25edbf0fddc.gif

Had to charge it to the game
francis.png

Ain't it all online sites and not just Ebay that gotta tax now?

Sucks when the tax is already paid on the item and you tax regardless but I guess that's the way it is now.

Thu June 21 2018

The High Court ruled this morning: "Because the physical presence rule of Quill is unsound and incorrect, Quill Corp. v. North Dakota, 504 U. S. 298, and National Bellas Hess, Inc. v. Department of Revenue of Ill., 386 U. S. 753, are overruled."

Supreme Court Justice Kennedy delivered the opinion of the Court, in which Thomas, Ginsburg, Alito, and Gorsuch joined. Justices Thomas and Gorsuch filed concurring opinions.

Justice Roberts filed a dissenting opinion in which Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan joined.

You can see the filings on the Supreme Court website.

Back
Top Bottom