EDM festival Electric Zoo cancelled after two deaths

EDM is ruining America.
its da complete watering down of musically intelligible digestible music, its what da southern hiphop has done to lyricism in rap music.

rap is dead, I welcome SOME edm, especially the forms that have hiphop elements to them.
drum and bass has turntablism, trap music is based on southern beats.
But, unfortunately the only EDM that seems to go pop is the type that people listen to, just so they can tell other people they listen to it.

Last edited:
So EDM isn't mainstream but people are paying $400 for a concert? Whos paying that to see any rap show? No one.

It is at a height of its phase, mainstream, and whatever else you want to call it.

And its only not a phase for some people. Around me the only people in NY listening to this stuff 4+ years ago were gays and guidos (no offense to either group).

Then there's the 10% of people who go to these concerts and will still be listening to this in 10 years. Followers are everywhere.

_____________ used to be cool.

then these highschoolers started getting into it.

and now the _______ is KAKA
this template can apply to everything if you tried it
laugh.gif

"edm" is very mainstream. Plenty of "pop" artists have watered down "edm" production in their songs. Every Flo, Pit single. The occasional Rihanna, Katy.

Add to that massive records by Calvin Harris, Zedd, Armin right now. Avicii. Daft Punk #1 everywhere.

deadmau5 and Kaskade can sell out ridiculous venues. Barclays, Staples Center etc.

Everything is a rehashing of everything else. Without Sugar Hill, there's no Rakim. Without Rakim, no Jay etc.

That cycle is the same in any genre. Yes dance music has been done before. The same way rap has been done before and is done now.

And Hip Hop ain't dead. Kendrick has a #1. Cole had a #1. Kanye had a #1. Jay had a #1.

And Run The Jewels had the album on of the year on the flip.

Last edited:
EDM is ruining America.
its da complete watering down of musically intelligible digestible music, its what da southern hiphop has done to lyricism in rap music.
rap is dead, I welcome SOME edm, especially the forms that have hiphop elements to them.
rap is still da king of mainstream influence in popular culture, hence miley cyrus "twerking"

rap isn't going anyway for a LONG time because its genre and format has long been established...EDM has not, its a smorgasbord

of lil sub genres all bunched together to make it

more marketable stateside.EDM like i said is just a retread of dance, techno, trance, dubstep for da US consumption.

its like what metal was experiencing in da 80's...calling EVERYTHING under da son metal when bands like Metallica and

white snake were WORLDS apart.

imagine calling SPANISH MUSIC one giant genre, and try putting people like tego, romeo santos, and mana, fat joe, and pit bull

all together because they share da same language...major cluster ****. THATS what da major problem with EDM is experiencing.

It's $400 over a course of 3 days.

$125+ a show at 100k+ sold is still GOOD money :lol:\

And the GA tickets are 400. The VIP is some other ****.

Yeah, but how long is a hip hop show or regular concert?

I paid around $300 for my 3 day EDC pass. But I was there from 6 PM - 6 AM. For three days.

And it's not just the music, it's the entire experience.

Well worth it IMO.

Slow down. "EDM" is not a retread of those things.

Dubstep didn't exist really 10 years ago. Dubstep is very much a part of the "EDM" explosion today.

Skrillex is massive. Dude drops a hot record and it goes Gold/Platinum with no radio play.

Cats like Ross struggle to do that.

There's been big techno records, Trance etc. But as said before, between the music's popularity, the radio play, the live, it's at it's peak now.

Retread or not, it's mking noise today that it hasn't before.

I paid around $300 for my 3 day EDC pass. But I was there from 6 PM - 6 AM. For three days.

Well worth it IMO.

come on, per show, there are plenty of edm djs that are seeing more $$$ than any rapper out of the top 5.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/08/02/the-worlds-highest-paid-djs/

and for the record I pretty much DETEST this current "EDM" explosion,

just a bunch of people that want to be seen popping bottles around other good looking people (which is fine) trying to tell you what good music is (which is annoying)

Last edited:

Well worth it IMO.

Doesn't matter how long it is.

A lot of popular rappers can't do 10k capacity. They in spots that are 3k or so.

I'm talking hundreds of thousands. Big difference.

Last edited:

Dubstep didn't exist really 10 years ago. Dubstep is very much a part of the "EDM" explosion today.

Skrillex is massive. Dude drops a hot record and it goes Gold/Platinum with no radio play.

There's been big techno records, Trance etc. But as said before, between the music's popularity, the radio play, the live, it's at it's peak now.

what im saying is today's trance, techno, wave, etc. from now on is ALL under da EDM banner even if originally it wasn't made for it.

its a marketing thing for da US consumption to better classify all these lil mini sub groups on some "ehh just call it all EDM"

thats being imported from a more well established culture of dance music in europe.

its a marketing thing for da US consumption to better classify all these lil mini sub groups on some "ehh just call it all EDM"

thats being imported from a more well established culture of dance music in europe.

I agree with this

Americans are soooo late with electronic music, at least 10 years, it's embarrassing to see this EDM explosion.
everyone lumping things together.
Every kid listens to US versions of dubstep, but no one knows what drum n bass is, although it's been around for almost 20 years and is damn near identical.

Last edited:

what im saying is today's trance, techno, wave, etc. from now on is ALL under da EDM banner even if originally it wasn't made for it.

Agreed. I put "EDM" in quotes because those 3 letters are a joke to me.

Dance music been around forever. Word to Twin Hype, Doug Lazy, King Sun. EPMD had house records on their albums. So did Kane.

"EDM" is a ******** term. But it's the mainstream term. You can't say it's not mainstream when "edm" is proof it's manstream.

The thing that irks me with some EDM "DJs" is that they're not really doing anything when they're performing. They more or less just hit play on their macbooks, talk to the crowd a bit between songs, then clap their hands above their heads. A lot of these guys are just studio producers *kanye shrug*

With that said, the Sahara tent at Coachella is by far the most fun. I'm more than willing to shell out $300+ to spend 3 days partying with fun-loving people.

Last edited:
The thing that irks me with some EDM "DJs" is that they're not really doing anything when they're performing. They more or less just hit play on their macbooks, talk to the crowd a bit between songs, then clap their hands above their heads. A lot of these guys are just studio producers *kanye shrug*

Yes, but they produce. Massive tunes. Flex has a joint every now and then. Clue and Envy.....not so much.

The "edm" guys are also world class producers. There are very few that are just Djs playing other peoples songs.

For the most part, it's their production skill that their careers are built on.

Yes, but they produce. Massive tunes. Flex has a joint every now and then. Clue and Envy.....not so much.

The "edm" guys are also world class producers. There are very few that are just Djs playing other peoples songs.

For the most part, it's their production skill that their careers are built on.

Decided to browse reddit and this was on the front page :lol:

And yea I get that the big name DJs that produce their songs are eating off that, but it's just the faking of pushing buttons and turning of knobs and switching of headphone channels when EVERYTHING is pre-recorded that gets me.

Last edited:
Say what you will about their live shows.

I've been to plenty of rap shows that just didn't cut it live.

The Roots were one of the few that did. Because they actually play instruments.

Why do you seem upset?

How? I'm educating people in this thread. I dont **** with molly or mdma. I dont like festivals like ezoo with main stream "edm". Did you take "molly" and have now learned what it really is?
sounds like some **** a hipster would say :lol:

EDM as a whole genre which is basically a re-branding of techno isn't mainstream at all in whichever incarnation.

Just shut up, you're making yourself sound stupid as hell..

Back
Top Bottom