Elena Dementieva Announces Retirement!

aepps20

Supporter
I know most of NT won't care but this was a shocking development for me.  ED was Maria Sharapova before Maria was Maria.  Tennis is a crazy sport where at 29 you are "past" your prime and decide to give it up. 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  Best of luck to her in the future.  I'm just really disappointed that she never won a major because if she only had a decent serve she would have at least 2.
fav-dementieva.jpg

1508_580x.jpg
elena_dementieva.jpg

I know most of NT won't care but this was a shocking development for me.  ED was Maria Sharapova before Maria was Maria.  Tennis is a crazy sport where at 29 you are "past" your prime and decide to give it up. 
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
  Best of luck to her in the future.  I'm just really disappointed that she never won a major because if she only had a decent serve she would have at least 2.
fav-dementieva.jpg

1508_580x.jpg
elena_dementieva.jpg

Wow, this is pretty surprising. She definitely had the opportunity to win a few majors in the past but like you said...that serve was never up to par

I didn't think she would be retiring already

Wow, this is pretty surprising. She definitely had the opportunity to win a few majors in the past but like you said...that serve was never up to par

I didn't think she would be retiring already

Wow, didn't expect to see a thread in here... but I was watching that match on TV, but thought it was strange that all the other girls came out on-court after it ended, while both players also stuck around. It was very odd, as the loser (which was Dem) would usually leave the court right away. Instead she received some award and announced that it was her last tournament. Very surprised, indeed.

All the best to her... the best ladies player in history to never have won a GS.
0ec7ac59d9e945e6bfaf0ba0ad554aeb-getty-tennis-wta-qat-dementieva.jpg

Wow, didn't expect to see a thread in here... but I was watching that match on TV, but thought it was strange that all the other girls came out on-court after it ended, while both players also stuck around. It was very odd, as the loser (which was Dem) would usually leave the court right away. Instead she received some award and announced that it was her last tournament. Very surprised, indeed.

All the best to her... the best ladies player in history to never have won a GS.
0ec7ac59d9e945e6bfaf0ba0ad554aeb-getty-tennis-wta-qat-dementieva.jpg

frown.gif

i always liked watching her play.  those thighs
smokin.gif
.  sad news to hear.

looks-wise her > sharapova.  elena has a way prettier face and doesn't have square dwight howard-type shoulders like maria.

frown.gif

smokin.gif
.  sad news to hear.

looks-wise her > sharapova.  elena has a way prettier face and doesn't have square dwight howard-type shoulders like maria.

Originally Posted by shogun

frown.gif

smokin.gif
.  sad news to hear.

This

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by shogun

frown.gif

smokin.gif
.  sad news to hear.

This

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Her serve was ridiculously poor. I coulda hit winners off her 2nd serve.

Somebody make a lady tennis players' thread. There are certainly more than enough candidates!

Her serve was ridiculously poor. I coulda hit winners off her 2nd serve.

Somebody make a lady tennis players' thread. There are certainly more than enough candidates!

Before I even start, I just have to get this out of the way, Elena's probably my favorite female athlete (in terms of looks). Her body is ridiculously sexy. Don't even get me started on her legs.. as it was once quoted, "she's got the legs of a thoroughbred."

With that being said, like it's been mentioned, her serve was atrocious. I remember watching matches where if she could just hold serve once or twice a set, she'd still be able to find a way to win. She's a solid player, and really, the fact she even earned a gold medal was surprising.

Though her retirement was an initial shock, it doesn't really surprise me now. First off, many female players in their prime have already left (and come back) to do the whole family thing. Second, the ATP/WTA is extremely grueling, illustrated by the amount of injuries accumulated during a year. Third, her window to win a grand slam has closed. Even though a GS is up for grabs every year by any player (as opposed to the ATP where titles either go through Nadal or Federer), she's basically at the point where getting to the semi's would be an accomplishment.

And just to add, my all time favorite photo of her:

2n21y6g.jpg

Before I even start, I just have to get this out of the way, Elena's probably my favorite female athlete (in terms of looks). Her body is ridiculously sexy. Don't even get me started on her legs.. as it was once quoted, "she's got the legs of a thoroughbred."

With that being said, like it's been mentioned, her serve was atrocious. I remember watching matches where if she could just hold serve once or twice a set, she'd still be able to find a way to win. She's a solid player, and really, the fact she even earned a gold medal was surprising.

Though her retirement was an initial shock, it doesn't really surprise me now. First off, many female players in their prime have already left (and come back) to do the whole family thing. Second, the ATP/WTA is extremely grueling, illustrated by the amount of injuries accumulated during a year. Third, her window to win a grand slam has closed. Even though a GS is up for grabs every year by any player (as opposed to the ATP where titles either go through Nadal or Federer), she's basically at the point where getting to the semi's would be an accomplishment.

And just to add, my all time favorite photo of her:

2n21y6g.jpg

Back
Top Bottom