Elon Musk trying to buy Twitter (edit: deal has been finalized)

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 1.13.06 PM.png

Ever since Musk took over, I've noticed a lot of inactive Twitter usernames that would go for a lot on the black market (account selling is ToS violation) are suddenly owned by Twitter employees with feeds stanning Elon. A little suspicious if you ask me, especially since Twitter is well aware of the black market for usernames and these can range from a mere $50 to well over $1000.
Elon also recently stated that inactive usernames would be released at some point in the future.
For reference, obtaining/selling social media usernames is my side hustle, though nowadays I mainly focus on IG and Twitch due to my job taking up a lot of time. But I'm very well versed in the username market for any given platform, besides Tiktok maybe.

In the past when an account was approved for verification, Twitter would sometimes have the courtesy to grant them a username they wanted, provided it's actually very relevant to their identity/branding. But you couldn't just expect to get verified and request "King" as a username, which would go for thousands of dollars.

To give you an idea, at least about 4-5 years ago, I obtained my Twitter account (username @Mockery) by figuring out the email linked to the long inactive account.
That email had been inactive so long it had been deleted, thus allowing me to recreate the email.
I recreated the email, did a password reset and then changed the password to grant me access to the account. Twitter later changed this 'exploit' so you couldn't recreate deleted email addresses and use them to password reset inactive accounts they were linked to.
Back then I received offers of around $500 for @Mockery.
Prices have only gone up, though they've now on a bit of a downwards trend with Elon's announcement of releasing inactive usernames at some point, which decreases the overall value because the rarity would decrease.
I don't actually use my Twitter account, there's no followers or anything to speak of, but simply there's a big market for "OG usernames", if the platform is popular enough.

Last edited:
11 p.m. Eastern

10.2 million votes in, Elon probably will invoke the electoral college or the bot farms

512C9149-B5B4-4979-B5C4-108431A0DC75.jpeg

11 p.m. Eastern

10.2 million votes in, Elon probably will invoke the electoral college or the bot farms

512C9149-B5B4-4979-B5C4-108431A0DC75.jpeg

I thought this was a PS but verified and nope - it is real. There is either no way he goes through with it or he has some sort of “master plan”

He puts his buddy Peter thiel as ceo.

He still owns it, so nothing will change.

This is pretty much my point. He will step down as CEO which will make the general public think it’s a W and that he took an L but in reality he will still own it and be a jackass. If he has someone else step in then he would probably rein some of the ridiculousness back and although he’d still be calling the shots, Twitter would get slowly get some respectability restored.

It’s kind of like “Okay, I have had my fun. I’m down with this now. On to the next one.”

Back
Top Bottom