Email Format and Etiquette, For those of you that have this task daily.

What's your biggest pet peeve about the emails you receive? What's your example of a perfectly formatted business email? Post an example of what your work emails look like.

Once had a supervisor send an email just to see how long it took to respond to it.

People who ask for the information that you just sent them in the previous email.

Not CCing everyone one a chain when you respond.

Keeping old messages on a chain after it gets past 5 emails. Then having to scroll for 5 minutes to find the message they just sent.

Employees CCing the whole company joking back and forth clogging everyone's inbox.

CCing someone of authority when its not necessary
mad.gif

I'm sure we can settle a small problem without involving my bosses boss.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by crcballer55

this is annoying as all hell.
I put those people on there for a reason.
Yup. I put people on the CC so that they can keep up with the conversation.
mad.gif
 when they cc-ed people ask me for status updates and I realized dude hasn't replied to all....

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

CCing someone of authority when its not necessary
mad.gif

I'm sure we can settle a small problem without involving my bosses boss.
This always gets me so pissed. But when they try to hang me out to dry and they end up being wrong/putting incorrect info  
I just put them in their place replying to everyone in the original email 
indifferent.gif
mad.gif
grin.gif
devil.gif
smokin.gif

Grammatical errors. I'm not even a huge grammar buff, but I cannot stand when something isn't coherent.

My biggest pet peeve is no/vague subject line. I get about 50-75 pertinent emails a week so subject lines are key to me staying organized.

This just happened.

Admin support requested everyone's shirt size. Email went out to maybe 80 people.

First person replies to everyone saying he wants an extra large.  

My name is Derry, it clearly states that in my emails.....some dummy emailed me back and wrote:
Hi Dimmery . *sigh

Originally Posted by juggy4805

This just happened.

Admin support requested everyone's shirt size. Email went out to maybe 80 people.

First person replies to everyone saying he wants an extra large.  
I think that is the opposite of what they were talking about, in your case they should not have responded to everyone
alien.gif

Spelling, spelling, spelling. Is it too much to ask to know how to spell and know when to use certain spellings of certain words? My email is Greeting....body....Thank you + e-mail sig with my information.

I work for a company that is headquartered in Bangalore and I interact with a lot of the employees that are there. A lot of times, they use those "indianisms."

Do the needful.
Do one thing.
Please revert back to me.
Kindly revert.
Yeah? Tell me.
Please confirm for the same.
______ only.
Take rest.
Take lunch.
etc.....

I'm not Indian, but I have found myself to be typing these up all the damn time!
laugh.gif

I hope I don't carry these over to my next job.

Back
Top Bottom