Engineering Majors?

Engineering isn't easy, fam.

I believe the average GPA of an engineer is like a 2.9. Don't stress yourself out on grades too much, but definitely try to aim for an A. If you fall short, you're still closer to an A than a C know what I mean?

The only way to grasp any of these subjects is constant practice. You can't just listen to lectures, while watching the professor solve problem while you take notes and expect to know how to calculate moments, reactions, forces, etc. on any beam or column that same day. (Not saying this is what you do.) You learn by tedious practice (which is also studying).
Thanks man, appreciate the advice a lot. I've heard similar things about the average GPA, and you're right I should not worry too much. But I go an HBCU, and I see all of the African students maintain high GPAs, and that makes me want to keep up with them. Because the way I see it, if they can do it, then why can't I? I guess I might need to change that way of thinking.

No problem.
The simple fact that you care about your GPA, and you want to strive for more shows that you'll be just fine.

Some people are content with just scraping by, and getting their degree.

Your first 2 years will probably be very difficult. It doesn't get easier, but it gets much more interesting once you're out of the fundamentals.

Depending on what career field you want to get into, experience matters more than GPA.

When I sit in on interviews with my boss, I typically look more for experience than GPA.

And WhatCanISay is right, first two years are hard but it gets significantly more interesting after your fundamental classes are over.

Depending on what career field you want to get into, experience matters more than GPA.

When I sit in on interviews with my boss, I typically look more for experience than GPA.

And WhatCanISay is right, first two years are hard but it gets significantly more interesting after your fundamental classes are over.

I'd like to hear more about interview processes. What are some key things an interviewee should focus on during an interview? & If one lacks experience how would one go about presenting themselves? TIA

I'd like to hear more about interview processes. What are some key things an interviewee should focus on during an interview? & If one lacks experience how would one go about presenting themselves? TIA

I work in Construction Management, so the item I look for are different than Engineering companies that design.

When I do interviews, I mainly look for the type of experience you hold (internships, etc). In my field, things are extremely fast paced, so it becomes very difficult to do on the job training, so I'd rather take someone with some internship experience who may need less training, then someone who has a masters without any experience.

I help out interviewing interns that rarely have any experience.

Not sure if it's the same with other orgs, but we look heavily for individuals who will "fit" the corporate culture and initiatives. Same with entry level positions.

My advice would be to know what the company is about and how it operates, and do your best to relate school and other activities to make you seem compatible.

Leadership and teamwork are two big ones, so try to use examples to highlight these qualities if you can. Even better if you have examples for innovation or ability to improve a process or deal with adversity.

Good luck man

Also try your hardest to say "um" and "like"

I know it's a new experience and tough to break long habits, but it's amazing how candidates set themselves apart by just being articulate and confident. Sure we scrutinize the credentials, but presentation is certainly a part of the equation.

Also try your hardest not* to say "um" and "like"

I know it's a new experience and tough to break long habits, but it's amazing how candidates set themselves apart by just being articulate and confident. Sure we scrutinize the credentials, but presentation is certainly a part of the equation.

Fixed

Is anyone Autocad/Inventor Certified? Thinking about taking the exam, want to hear any opinions or stories about it

Is anyone Autocad/Inventor Certified? Thinking about taking the exam, want to hear any opinions or stories about it
I'm new to AutoCAD used pro E in school. But my job sent me to a solid works school. N I got a certificate for there. Its just gonna teach you the basics unless u take the advance course.

Was interested in this this as well. I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to brush up on autocad and would look good on a resume

Was interested in this this as well. I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to brush up on autocad and would look good on a resume

Thats what im thinking, called a couple places and the exam is $100-$175 at some spots, just want to take a practice test so i can know for sure what im dealing with

I'm new to AutoCAD used pro E in school. But my job sent me to a solid works school. N I got a certificate for there. Its just gonna teach you the basics unless u take the advance course.

So are you certified? I say autocad certified because with that they put you in their official database on the autodesk website

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the SUNY maritime M.E engine license program is worth it? I'm getting my associates this month in engineering science so I'm basically going to do that or get my B.A as a civilian

*posted this in the jobless thread as well*

Fellas,

I landed an interview this coming Friday, it's for an engineering company (entry level) which would be a great fit for me to start my career. The problem is, I have little to no practical experience in the field, how do I go about "selling" my skills and attributes without the experience to back it up? I'm 0/3 on interviews so far, any tips and pointers to close the deal would be great. Thanks

For the first position I landed after undergrad, I tried to relate the one or two course that most closely applied to the open position, and used specific examples that would resonate with professionals, such as mentioning industry standards, codes, calculations, etc. I also had some diverse internships to discuss.

If it's entry level, they shouldn't expect too much practical experience (although internships certainly help). Did you have major class projects, or a course that focused on the particular design work related to this job? Displaying a combo of independence and collaboration is key with engineering firms, because they'll rely on you produce, but also work with a multidisciplinary team.

Give them specific examples from engineering school (and internships if you've had them) that exercised traits that will translate to this full time position. Also be well aware of the culture and key goals of the organization you're interviewing with, and keep them in mind throughout.

Good luck!

ChemEng major here.

Gonna really be hitting the meat of my major come this fall. Little nervous but have some meatball classes this summer to get my confidence going into the next semester

I've been lingering between criminal justice and engineering for a while and now I'm going with an engineering major at a community college. currently taking precalc, about to finish up with an exam this Thursday then taking trig next semester.

How do you engineer graduates (or concurrent) do it? How do you guys balance out a full time school schedule with a full time job and do hours of hw each day?

Graduated last Friday with dual degrees in Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
pimp.gif
Congrats fam!!! What's your plan now?

3rd year in Mechanical Eng right now. No luck on internships...will probably do summer classes 
frown.gif

Last edited:
I've been lingering between criminal justice and engineering for a while and now I'm going with an engineering major at a community college. currently taking precalc, about to finish up with an exam this Thursday then taking trig next semester.

How do you engineer graduates (or concurrent) do it? How do you guys balance out a full time school schedule with a full time job and do hours of hw each day?

Impossible to be a full time engineering student with a full time job. Not enough hours in the day

Congrats fam!!! What's your plan now?

3rd year in Mechanical Eng right now. No luck on internships...will probably do summer classes :frown:  

I was fortunate enough to land a job in a rotational program. I'll be starting that in July

Said this before but we really need to create a #NTEngineering sig or something. This is a very special bond we all share :lol:

Impossible to be a full time engineering student with a full time job. Not enough hours in the day

Agreed. I just finished up my first year in Civil Engineering and even with the classes I took the past year (Calc 1&2, Physics, Chemistry,etc...) I dont think I'd be able to be an adequate student and work a full time job.

Also, congrats to the graduates in here. Hopefully one day I'll reach that pinnacle.

In other news, I take statics next semester in the fall and for some reason I am overly excited to take this course.:smokin

Agreed. I just finished up my first year in Civil Engineering and even with the classes I took the past year (Calc 1&2, Physics, Chemistry,etc...) I dont think I'd be able to be an adequate student and work a full time job.

Also, congrats to the graduates in here. Hopefully one day I'll reach that pinnacle.

In other news, I take statics next semester in the fall and for some reason I am overly excited to take this course.:smokin

alright thanks guys. i figured that too although i just thought I'd ask.

Back
Top Bottom