Engineering Majors?

My degree is still in the border thing we got at graduation. Something like this:

775e776a-0ae8-45d5-be6f-c33f3777689f-original.jpeg

I don’t even know exactly where it is anymore, so I doubt it get it framed :lol:

My coworker referred me to a frame on Amazon tho that he put his license on. I’m finally getting my license this month, and since we actually have to display it, I’ll prob go ahead and get it.

CreativePF [11x14mh-b] Mahogany Diploma Frame with Black Mat to Hold 8.5 by 11-inch Graduation Documents with Installed Wall Hanger Amazon product ASIN B071DKY8D2
It looks good enough to get the job done

Man I wish ours came in that. I would never frame it :lol:. They just shipped us our degree in a damn envelope

I just buy 10-15$ frames from Target to get the job done.

Bet I’m gonna check out target for sure. Might see if I can get my company to let me expense one and if so I’m gonna splurge on a nice one :lol:

How many of yall have taken the Seismic and Surveying exam? I'm not seeing myself working in Cali rn, but something is making me wanna take it in case. I'm not tryna study again tho :lol: :ohwell:

I live in CA and had to take all 3 to be a PE. Obviously there is a bit of studying that is needed. I didn't take a seismic class in college, so i had a lot of studying to do. Surveying wasn't too bad as i studied the transpo stuff for the 8 hour Civil exam. I did a lot of studying and was able to pass both seismic and surveying the first time around. I would say wait until you actually see yourself working in CA in some near future.

Where did you guys get frames for your licenses/degrees? My degree has been sitting in the envelope since I graduated almost 5 years ago and now I have my PE for SC and for NC sitting in an envelope and my office walls are bare :lol:. Frames are so damn expensive though :smh:

My wife got me a nice frame from Michael's for both my PE license and my degree.

Both my undergraduate degree sitting in an fedex envelope at home :lol: I complete my masters in the spring and will probably frame all three

Is anybody apprehensive when it comes to telling people you know your major. I'm a computer science major and I swear everybody think's I can just magically fix any problem with their laptop.

I have no problem telling, but most people think it means im a mechanic or work on cars. Funny thing is outside of a basic understanding of engines idk anything about cars.

I’m an electrical engineer and if someone I know has any problem with their house, they assume I should know how to fix it since I’m an engineer. :lol:

All the time people think i know everything about buildings and blueprints except im a transpo/water engineer with little of experience on structural side. They often get what architects and what civil engineers do mixed up.

All the time people think i know everything about buildings and blueprints except im a transpo/water engineer with little of experience on structural side. They often get what architects and what civil engineers do mixed up.

Exact same :lol:. Good luck in April bro. You taking the transpo or water resources?

He needs to be strong in math, science and problem solving to get the degree.

But for now I would start by disassembling electronics with him. Or have him fix broken electronics.

He needs to be strong in math, science and problem solving to get the degree.

But for now I would start by disassembling electronics with him. Or have him fix broken electronics.
he on point on the math science and problem solving from
hes in advanced in all his classes
anything i should nurture him in getting into or doing
also any preference on electronics to get him starting to look at
and any tools??? :nerd:

he on point on the math science and problem solving from
hes in advanced in all his classes
anything i should nurture him in getting into or doing
also any preference on electronics to get him starting to look at
and any tools??? :nerd:

My college offered an engineering summer camp that I attended at enjoyed from about age 10-16. We'd do simple robot projects, learn programing, build planes, take field trips to cool places, etc... I'd definitely see if there's anything similar in your area

My college offered an engineering summer camp that I attended at enjoyed from about age 10-16. We'd do simple robot projects, learn programing, build planes, take field trips to cool places, etc... I'd definitely see if there's anything similar in your area
yeah his after school program they build robots

It doesn’t really matter. The whole idea is to get him familiar with power supplies and systems. If you’re not familiar then I’d just give him broken stuff.

How old is he?

Ok so he’s old enough to start coding and building circuits.

You can get him an arduino kit. It’ll teach him how to build circuits and some programming.

I personally have experience with that kit, but some of the other EE people in here might be aware of some better beginner options.

Last edited:
my son says he wants to become any electrical engineer
any advice for him???
Get him "Make: Electronics" 2nd edition by Charles Platt in addition to the Arduino kit as recommended above.

I'd also suggest introducing him to the principles of digital design such as bases (binary, decimal) and logic gates if he's not doing that already (the math is more accessible than other engineering topics IMO). Circuit Scramble is an Android puzzle game that uses the principles of logic gates, you could try that.

my son says he wants to become any electrical engineer
any advice for him???

Congrats.

I would start exposing him to general electrical concepts through various at home projects.

I modified and performed this one with my step-son: (this got him into an elite science high school)
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/scie...rgy_p020/energy-power/spare-a-watt-save-a-lot

Check out the overall science buddies website for various projects:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project-ideas/electricity-electronics

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project-ideas/energy-power

The projects will help expose him to the basics of circuit theory. It can be lectured to him but projects at that age are highly more effective.

My advice for him would be:
  • focus and study hard in school now so that his undergrad will be easier. You can waste alot of time in a engineering curriculum with the remedial stuff like English, pre-calc, language etc.
  • Also look into alot of grants and scholarship now through various local projects and extra curricular science programs. The money can be use while in high school and moving forward into college.
  • Make sure he has a balance of hard skills and soft skills. Being a book nerd in engineering will get you nowhere in the long run but knowing how to be charismatic, public speaking, social skills combined with the knowledge will get you far.
  • Always think outside the box and question everything. If he doesn't know something then he should research it. We all have the internet and it will be his biggest resource from now until something new comes about.
  • Don't be afraid to pursue a engineering related internship or job while in high school. There are surprisingly alot out there for bright teenagers.
  • Get him involved with engineering societies while in high school like IEEE, NSBE, etc
  • Lastly, let him know that Electrical Engineering is a golden ticket career. The more you put into all around learning of the skills within the field, the more opportunities will arrive. These opportunities will arise more so because the nature of the field makes you an excellent problem solver. He can pursue so many other fields with a EE degree such as teaching, writing, law, other engineering fields, management, safety, construction etc just because it makes you smart.
I'm in a similar boat with my step-son so DM me if you need any help.

Ok so he’s old enough to start coding and building circuits.

You can get him an arduino kit. It’ll teach him how to build circuits and some programming.

I personally have experience with that kit, but some of the other EE people in here might be aware of some better beginner options.

Get him "Make: Electronics" 2nd edition by Charles Platt in addition to the Arduino kit as recommended above.

I'd also suggest introducing him to the principles of digital design such as bases (binary, decimal) and logic gates if he's not doing that already (the math is more accessible than other engineering topics IMO). Circuit Scramble is an Android puzzle game that uses the principles of logic gates, you could try that.

Congrats.

I would start exposing him to general electrical concepts through various at home projects.

I modified and performed this one with my step-son: (this got him into an elite science high school)
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/scie...rgy_p020/energy-power/spare-a-watt-save-a-lot

Check out the overall science buddies website for various projects:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project-ideas/electricity-electronics

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project-ideas/energy-power

The projects will help expose him to the basics of circuit theory. It can be lectured to him but projects at that age are highly more effective.

My advice for him would be:
  • focus and study hard in school now so that his undergrad will be easier. You can waste alot of time in a engineering curriculum with the remedial stuff like English, pre-calc, language etc.
  • Also look into alot of grants and scholarship now through various local projects and extra curricular science programs. The money can be use while in high school and moving forward into college.
  • Make sure he has a balance of hard skills and soft skills. Being a book nerd in engineering will get you nowhere in the long run but knowing how to be charismatic, public speaking, social skills combined with the knowledge will get you far.
  • Always think outside the box and question everything. If he doesn't know something then he should research it. We all have the internet and it will be his biggest resource from now until something new comes about.
  • Don't be afraid to pursue a engineering related internship or job while in high school. There are surprisingly alot out there for bright teenagers.
  • Get him involved with engineering societies while in high school like IEEE, NSBE, etc
  • Lastly, let him know that Electrical Engineering is a golden ticket career. The more you put into all around learning of the skills within the field, the more opportunities will arrive. These opportunities will arise more so because the nature of the field makes you an excellent problem solver. He can pursue so many other fields with a EE degree such as teaching, writing, law, other engineering fields, management, safety, construction etc just because it makes you smart.
I'm in a similar boat with my step-son so DM me if you need any help.
thanks for the info
i REALLY appreciate it
im going to grab the kit and that book
hopefully i can give u guys some cool update in a few months

Are rofessional certifications worth it? I'm reading conflicting information. Even some saying it does more harm than good to put on resume.

Also what software engineering certifications would you recommend?

Certification value depends on the field. Like in consulting over the past few years, I've only seen communications certifications be valued high. A few years back LEED certification was all the rave but has fizzled out drastically. It really depends.

freshman ME major, love autocad and design classes but calc 2 and physics are taking me to town :smh:. Going to try for a co-op/internship for the summer/fall but I don't think it'll be likely this early on

Back
Top Bottom