Engineering Majors?

Patrickjmt and other youtube videos were vital in my calculus days. That would be my tip.

For those that pursued masters degrees in engineering while working full time, if there are any, how did you do it? Online classes after work? How feasible is it? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Reps will be given

For those that pursued masters degrees in engineering while working full time, if there are any, how did you do it? Online classes after work? How feasible is it? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Reps will be given
I'm starting online next semester at John Hopkins. It is very feasible most professionals work full time and go to school part time ( 1 or 2 classes per semester) , because it is free.

It is the smartest way to go about getting a degree. Making full time salary and gaining "free" education there is also no rush to finish most programs allow 5-7 years to finish Masters no limit on UG.

I'm starting online next semester at John Hopkins. It is very feasible most professionals work full time and go to school part time ( 1 or 2 classes per semester) , because it is free.
It is the smartest way to go about getting a degree. Making full time salary and gaining "free" education there is also no rush to finish most programs allow 5-7 years to finish Masters no limit on UG.

Elaborate on the "free" part. Are you referring to your company paying for continuing education?

I don't know how I'm doing it tbh.

It's ******* difficult. I go out a lot less than I used to, though.

I'm guessing you're taking online classes as well? How many courses are you taking per semester? You're civil engineering right? What discipline is your masters going to be in?

Sorry for all the questions fellas. Just tying to get a grasp on things from someone with some experience

No one knows anyone who did engineering in a maritime school?

Patrickjmt, Kahn academy and a bunch of school lectures on YouTube (Yale and some Russian dude in Virginia) was the only reason I got my associates in Engineering science.

I'm start in two weeks at my new school(SUNY maritime) and I'm so amped to get that started now that I know how to study properly and so close to that paper :smokin

My major mechanical engineering w the engine license so anyone know anyone who took that route lmk and any questions feel free to PM me

Elaborate on the "free" part. Are you referring to your company paying for continuing education?

Free as in your company pays in full or majority of your education. I say "free" because the money won't be coming out of your pocket but there is a 95% chance you will have a service commitment to your company. Most places just 1 year commitment after completing the course.

My company pays for 10K/yr but you can apply for a cap waiver up to 25K/yr with a 1 year commitment . The tution assistant is unlimited so you can use up to your cap every year you worked if you wanted to.

The most classes I will take in a semester is 2. Hopefully I will done by the end of 2018.

I was gonna post this in the general college/university thread, but I think I'll actually get replies here. For this upcoming year I am going to be receiving more aid than needed and thus will be getting a refund back. If I dont change anything I'd be receiving about 2500 a semester from a sub loan so a total of about 5000 after the year is over. I was thinking if I should take the money, and if its not all used by the end of the year use it to pay off the sub loan or half the sub loan amount. I did some calculations and I'd be about 3000 in more debt when I finish school if I keep the full amount than if I were to half it. If I were to pay back whatever I had left of the loan once the year is over, the total would be less than 3000 once I graduate. However If I half the loan amount I wont be able to do certain things I planned on doing this year that I'd slept on last year. What do you guys recommend?

Last edited:
About a month into school and Im getting ripped apart. Calc 3, statics, and physics 2 are ripping me a new ******* :smh:

About a month into school and Im getting ripped apart. Calc 3, statics, and physics 2 are ripping me a new ******* :smh:

No worries bro.

Calc 3 gets easy as all hell

Physics 2 was easier than Physics one to me but Physics is Physics

Statics I've heard mixed things about but its not apart of my path.

I got computer model formulation. elementary transport phenomena, and physical chemistry as my main ones this semester. Not too bad no problems yet

No worries bro.

Calc 3 gets easy as all hell

Physics 2 was easier than Physics one to me but Physics is Physics

Statics I've heard mixed things about but its not apart of my path.

I got computer model formulation. elementary transport phenomena, and physical chemistry as my main ones this semester. Not too bad no problems yet

Its so much I dropped my elective this semester (econ) to focus on my core classes. I dont want a class like econ killing my GPA. I'll just take it over the summer if need be.

Also I've heard stories about p-chem. Thankful I dont have to take it

Last edited:
so I just read this thread and for fun since dude mentioned it I looked over a old Calc notebook

.. yeah no clue at all about anything I wrote :lol:

I feel you. I took calc 3, physics 1, diff EQ, and Orgo 1/2 compressed at the same time. I wasn't a happy camper that semester

Dog

seriously...thats academic suicide...also how tf did they let u into diff eq while taking calc 3, thought that was a pre req?

so I just read this thread and for fun since dude mentioned it I looked over a old Calc notebook

.. yeah no clue at all about anything I wrote :lol:

HAHA i've done that too. algebra hasn't left me but diff eq and high level calc is prolly arabic to me now. took that stuff like...damn 8 yrs ago :smh: wow time flies...

Nah it wasn't all that bad I just had to be efficient. Once one thing was done I always had then next.

And diff em was all that related to calc 3 there was no issues on that front.

First week of senior year and this quarter is looking rough

Introduction to Modeling and Analysis of Dynamic Systems 
sick.gif

Advanced Strength of Materials 
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom