Ever think Jay/Nas beef was staged? Vol. ?

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by DSK aka iLLoQuent

Originally Posted by HOVTALK

Jay-Z needed something huge to push him over the edge into legit mainstream rapper
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This guy's opinion immediately became invalid as soon as I read that.

Either you don't understand what I'm saying, or you're too young to remember. "legit mainstream rapper" is a very rare stratosphere in the rap world. This is the stage at which a rapper is known and listened to by fans of TRL and pop radio. Jay-Z was bordering on this level before the beef, but the beef and Blueprint pushed him over the edge. H to the izzo video was like his coronation as a mainstream rapper. He's no longer a mainstream rapper like that, he's back a little further towards the hood as far as his music, and he's further down on the TRL kids' playlists. Kanye West is the closest thing we have to a legit mainstream rapper right now. Even 50 Cent is fading. Nelly and Eminem faded, and everyone else recent wasn't even there long enough to count. If Akon was a rapper he'd be on the list.

na, I wasn't too young

and ummm...

Big Pimpin'?

Can I Get A...?

Hard Knock Life?

c'mon

B are you serious?!...hiphop cant get more mainstream than jay z and he was on that tip way before the blueprint.

Sunshine...with foxy and BABYFACE!
The City is Mine...with BLACKSTREET!
Give it to me...with PHARRELL
That track he did with Jermaine Dupree..."Money aint a thing"

C'mon its endless commercial and very successful tracks before the blueprint. he didnt need that album to take him to that "stratosphere".Regardless dude is nice whether on a hood or commercial track.

Originally Posted by DSK aka iLLoQuent

Originally Posted by HOVTALK

Jay-Z needed something huge to push him over the edge into legit mainstream rapper
roll.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

This guy's opinion immediately became invalid as soon as I read that.

Either you don't understand what I'm saying, or you're too young to remember. "legit mainstream rapper" is a very rare stratosphere in the rap world. This is the stage at which a rapper is known and listened to by fans of TRL and pop radio. Jay-Z was bordering on this level before the beef, but the beef and Blueprint pushed him over the edge. H to the izzo video was like his coronation as a mainstream rapper. He's no longer a mainstream rapper like that, he's back a little further towards the hood as far as his music, and he's further down on the TRL kids' playlists. Kanye West is the closest thing we have to a legit mainstream rapper right now. Even 50 Cent is fading. Nelly and Eminem faded, and everyone else recent wasn't even there long enough to count. If Akon was a rapper he'd be on the list.

You're on dope....heavy.

Dude crossed the mainstream border on Vol 1...and was DEEP in it by Vol.2 (which is to date...his most successful album ever)

With this whole friendship that they have going on now, my suspicions that their beef was staged for marketing process have grown. It makes sense from all aspects. Jay-Z needed something huge to push him over the edge into legit mainstream rapper, and Nas needed something to rekindle his career. They get into this "beef" without anything really sparking it, and then release albums almost simultaneously, whose buzz is largely created by the beef, and both of which are huge successes. A few years later, the beef is no longer interesting/newsworthy, so they appear on stage and squash the beef, once again a brilliant move from a marketing standpoint.

Not that this makes me like the beef records, or Jay and Nas any less,
pimp.gif
to both men for making money off the beef.

their beef was real..n they were able to dead the beef cause they always had a mutual respect for each other..

Jay became a mainstream rapper off the strength of "Hard Knock Life" which did 5-6 mil and then he followed up with "Big Pimpin"..theirbeef didnt become mainstream until a couple years later when Jay dropped "takeover"

n theres very few rappers that could of survived ether..cant see anyone taking that type of risk for some "staged" beef

Originally Posted by ENVIED247365

With this whole friendship that they have going on now, my suspicions that their beef was staged for marketing process have grown. It makes sense from all aspects. Jay-Z needed something huge to push him over the edge into legit mainstream rapper, and Nas needed something to rekindle his career. They get into this "beef" without anything really sparking it, and then release albums almost simultaneously, whose buzz is largely created by the beef, and both of which are huge successes. A few years later, the beef is no longer interesting/newsworthy, so they appear on stage and squash the beef, once again a brilliant move from a marketing standpoint.

pimp.gif

their beef was real..n they were able to dead the beef cause they always had a mutual respect for each other..

Jay became a mainstream rapper off the strength of "Hard Knock Life" which did 5-6 mil and then he followed up with "Big Pimpin"..their beef didnt become mainstream until a couple years later when Jay dropped "takeover"

n theres very few rappers that could of survived ether..cant see anyone taking that type of risk for some "staged" beef

What? Jay said he left his semen in his Bentley, Jeep and left condoms on a babyseat... that's mutual respect?
I don't disagree with PersiaFly, Jay was never on that level that he would be listened to on a national orinternational basis, but the beef brought him so over the top, because it was the topic of talk/gossip in NY for months. Aside from Reasonable Doubt (whichwasn't dubbed a classic until he re-released it), the album most known by average hip-hop fans is the Blueprint. There's a reason for it.

Originally Posted by VIIheaven

Originally Posted by ENVIED247365

pimp.gif

Jay became a mainstream rapper off the strength of "Hard Knock Life" which did 5-6 mil and then he followed up with "Big Pimpin"..their beef didnt become mainstream until a couple years later when Jay dropped "takeover"

What? Jay said he left his semen in his Bentley, Jeep and left condoms on a babyseat... that's mutual respect?
I don't disagree with PersiaFly, Jay was never on that level that he would be listened to on a national or international basis, but the beef brought him so over the top, because it was the topic of talk/gossip in NY for months. Aside from Reasonable Doubt (which wasn't dubbed a classic until he re-released it), the album most known by average hip-hop fans is the Blueprint. There's a reason for it.

smh..when i say mutual respect im sayin they respected each other as rappers..for them to even put as much time and energy into it as they did they hadto..

how many dudes have taken shots at Jay over the years and Jay wont even respond..he doesnt respect them,he feels their not on his level..but for Nas,he putat least a couple years in..

Back
Top Bottom