Everyone post your favorite 80's hits! Vol. one at a time & post story of when u 1st heard song

Yo hood that track you posted is HEAT
pimp.gif
All the songs that sampled it are too, SWV-youre the one, Ini Kamoze-Here comes the hot stepper, Musiq Soulchild- Buddy, and thats just off top. I was born 89 so I wasnt around but the 80s are DEF most appreciated. Probably the reason why the 90s was so good too. Heres my contribution

Last edited:
fellas, one youtube video per comment, that way nothing gets skipped...and introduce da video, i wanna hear da first time

you heard a particular song.

lots of stocking shelves at my first job at modells listening to this on da store tape....i can smell unpacking of fresh nike boxes and baseball mits...

i'm loving this thread! i pride myself on my 80s music list.

Last edited:
Nine Inch Nails - Head Like A Hole

Game changer for rock (or alternative) music. Saw them about a month after they released Pretty Hate Machine at the old 9:30 Club in DC. To this day, it's the loudest live show I've ever been to. Aside from the bass, you could feel the crunch of the power chords from the guitar in your chest & forehead. I was the only person not dressed in all black at the show...

Sonic Youth - Teenage Riot

I thought Day Dream nation ushered in a new era for "alternative" music in the late 80s bringing together a punk rock sensibility with great musicianship. They opened the door that eventually Nirvana kicked in the rest of the way when Nevermind was released. Love this song.

New Kids On The Block - Please Don't Go Girl

Of all the cheesy bands that pop produces, this group was definitely cheesy too, but this was the one lone gem from them. R&B wise, I think this song still endures... Who knew the little guy was the most soulful... :lol: You can definitely hear the New Edition influence on this song.

Soul II Soul - Keep On Movin'

I remember hearing this song for the first time on V103 & thought how refreshing this song sounded compared to the R&B that was out then. That aren't many songs that are this chill & soulful at the same time. This song still feels fresh out the box new to me [2 stepping in my office cubicle now]...

Rockwell - Somebody's Watching Me

Who knew Berry Gordy's 2nd or 3rd child would pave the way for his other kids to form LMFAO... This songs is cheesy & funky at the same time.

Cant remember when I first heard it, I was like 3 or 4...just reminds me of good times with my family and my pops 
frown.gif

Been in love with Anita ever since
glasses.gif

Last edited:
Jungle Brothers - Straight Out The Jungle

Native Tongues ya'll! Jungle Bros & De La came through & completely flipped the script. Plus the ill use of the Mandrills sample (Mango Meat).

Heres another one. First time I heard it, today lol was browsing through youtube workout vids and for some reason this was in the related vids. Clicked on it and realised I had actually first heard it in the Passing Me By remix by Pharcyde. Patrice Rushen had some hits man. Think this came out in 82

EDIT: Dat keyboard solo at 3:30
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Genesis - Man On The Corner

^ That Patrice Rushen album (Straight from the Heart ) is under appreciated master piece. She plays multiple instruments too ranging from the piano, guitar, flute, clarinet, & drums/percussion.

My dad is a huge audiophile. He had McIntosh set up from the late 70s on & still continues to use their equipment today. I remember he got his first CD player in '82 & Genesis albums were among the first to be released in CD. Abacab was one of the first group of CDs my father had & I remember him blasting this song...

Last edited:

da year i was born....heard da cover by orgy in da 90's and decided to do some investigating one day.....**** is straight coke sniffing 80's music..

great stuff...

force md - tender love

Can't remember when I heard this song but I remember my pops playing it over and over again when I was a child. I know this song by heart lol

But I had my first hair pie in the mid 90s to this song

could've been MTV, but i used to lowkey peep that VH1 when they had alot of 80's ****..

Cool thread.. I will play..

First time I heard this song was when I went to the dentist for the first time ever..

After we left.. I would sing this song to my mom when she asked me to do something..

Saxophone solo.. 
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom