Explosion rocks China's Tianjin; 17+ killed, 300+ injured/

daruma

formerly clu713
Supporter
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/12/asia/china-port-explosion/

Beijing (CNN)A series of explosions shook the northern Chinese city of Tianjin late Wednesday, killing 17 people and injuring more than 300, according to officials and state media.

The cause was not immediately clear.

The initial explosion erupted at a warehouse for a logistics company at a port area, according to Tianjin police. The company was identified as Tianjin Dongjiang Port Rui Hai International Logistics Co. Ltd.

The state-run Xinhua news agency reported the explosion tore through a warehouse storing "dangerous and chemical goods" in the Binhai New Area.

Video from the scene showed a blinding blast of light and smoke that sent fireballs shooting across the night sky. As day broke Thursday, the extent of the damage was beginning to be made clear.

The initial blast triggered secondary explosions, setting off local tremors, according to Xinhua. Residents said the blast shattered windows and fish tanks.

The People's Daily and CCTV, China's state-owned broadcaster, reported that 17 people were killed. CCTV and Xinhua said that more than 400 people were injured, while the People's Daily said some 315 were hurt, 32 of them critically.

Xinhua had reported earlier that most of the injuries were from stones or broken glass.

The firefighting division of the Chinese Public Security Ministry said firefighters were first called to the scene about a fire. An explosion happened after they arrived and it damaged buildings and infrastructure. Four firefighters were injured and two more have lost contact, according to the ministry.

Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang have called for "all-out efforts" to save the injured and minimize casualties, Xinhua reported. Li also promised a full investigation of the incident.

They're not letting reporters into the hospitals so there are probably more casualties.. the explosion affected places in a 3mile radius.. there are videos all over youtube, RIP.

wonder how much of the explosive substances they had stored in that location to produce an explosion that large ? 

The videos of this are insane. There's one in particular where someone is about to open the doors and the plant explodes as he's opening it.

I'm curious if this was caused by some sort of corner cutting method they are notorious for.

Here's a decent vid of it. the explosion reminds me of that meteorite that blew up over russia a few years ago. (CONTENT WARNING)

Last edited:
What the hell? Did that vid have dead kids laying on the street at the end?

It's official, I'm never ******* going to China

I wanna see the full length vid of the clip in the beginning of the video. That looks like it's literally across the street. :wow:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

HOOOLYYY SHIIT .....

The death toll was upped to 50, 17 were firefighters.

It's sad cause there's very little coverage about this incident there. The censorship is real.

Last edited:
^ :wow:

That's unbelievable... RIP to those who died

Last edited:
Something like this shouldn't be happening man :smh:

Looked like something you see in a movie....

This video is terrifying. Good thing he prepared for the second blast

Like I hope there were no more casualties but I hope China doesn't try and cover the real numbers up

Last edited:
damn man watching those videos gives me chills.

rip those who passed and hope for a healthy recovery.

I visited Tianjin for work a few months ago and I was impressed with the # of businesses and communities there. The videos are insane and even some of the pictures are nuts. These are pictures from a vehicle warehouse, I think VW brand. Look at how aligned the vehicles are after the explosion. 

wow very unfortunate. The number of deaths could've have been exponentially larger. Rip to those who passed away though.

I'm not going to watch any of those videos
tired.gif

R.I.P to all those that lost their lives and wishing for a full recovery to all those injured.

so sad. how did this happen?

may have been a shipping container full of explosives that was set off, likely by the first explosion. The warehouse belonged to Rui Hai International Logistics, a company that transports and handles hazardous cargo. The second was even more powerful -- the equivalent of 21 metric tons of TNT.

Back
Top Bottom