External HD Help!!!!! - PS3

i just bought a Seagate 1TB expansion external HD..... and im trying to get it to be recognized on my PS3

ive read online that i need to format it to FAT32, but i havent figured out how to do that on Windows Vista.

can anyone share any insight on this please? 

you gotta format it. i think its something called fat32, im not too sure though.

you can do it manually, but I had a program that I used to format mine, I'm trying to find it, i'll post the info when I do

i actually just downloaded that ^

i just cant figure out where to go from there, once i open it.

Yo,

Windows Vista only allows up to 32 gigs to be formatted in fat32.

Download this software and follow the instructions on how to burn it to a disk

http://www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

Then boot from it and go to the Partition manager. Click the HD and select format. Then select the FAT32 option and quick format. Then you can enjoy watching your movies and playing music.

Now paypal me 5 dollars please.

Edit:

To use Active@ Partition Manager:
From the Active@ Boot Disk shell, click Utilities > Active@ Partition Manager. The Active@ Partition Manager workspace appears.
From the Data Storage Devices and Partitions list, click a device to select it.
To view the properties of the selected device, click Properties. The device properties report box appears. To close it, click OK.
To format a partition:
a.
Click a partition in the list to select it.
b.
Click Format. The Format dialog box appears.
c.
Give the partition a volume label in Volume Label.
d.
Select a file system type in the File System drop-down list.
e.
Select an allocation unit size in the Allocation unit size drop-down list.
f.
To perform a quick format, select the Perform a quick format check box.
g.
To perform a full format, clear the Perform a quick format check box.
h.
Click OK. A progress bar appears.

Originally Posted by Sik Wit It

lmao^

so only 32gb of the 1TB will be able to be used?

Well what I mean is it only recognizes up to 32 GB so if you have a device that has more HD space it wont recognize it. Use the instructions I posted it is pretty easy just a little more work to format it unless you have a computer with Win 98 if so then it will let you partition an unlimited amount. Crazy I know.

There's a program MacDrive (for windows)
but there was another free program I used that I can't seem to find anymore

man when i formatted my hd drive i accidently wiped my computer lol so be careful

^That's it
pimp.gif

good lookin, i got that running right now....

not exactly quick, but its formatting, im sure itll be a few more hours til its done... ill let you know if it worked.

thanks guys the formatting was succesfull.....

now i have another problem, the HD is 1 Tb, yet it wont let me transfer a 4 Gb file on to it, says its too large.

but it let me move a 30 Gb folder of alot of smaller files on it, i tried putting the huge file in the folder, but that wouldnt work either...

what gives?

FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB.

any single file that exceeds 4GB cannot be moved onto a FAT32 partition.

the 30GB folder can be copied because no individual file exceeds the 4GB limit.

the only workaround would be to use a file splitter to make the file into smaller than 4GB pieces then recompile it afterwards.

Originally Posted by Sik Wit It

thanks guys the formatting was succesfull.....

now i have another problem, the HD is 1 Tb, yet it wont let me transfer a 4 Gb file on to it, says its too large.

but it let me move a 30 Gb folder of alot of smaller files on it, i tried putting the huge file in the folder, but that wouldnt work either...

what gives?
Can't have over a 4gb file on fat32

hahaha well its not a game, its a Blu-ray lol....

how does a file splitter work.... any recommendations/tutorials?

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

like everyone said, its the size limit of fat32

sony knows what those over 4gb files are
laugh.gif
they sure do
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

All people ripping Blu-Rays now make the all under 4GB (credit goes to the PS3 team). I have 270 Blu-Ray ripped movies and they all look good to me. There is really no worries in having it at FAT32.

Back
Top Bottom