FAQS/Quesitons About Living in Dubai/Middle East

Originally Posted by Law3001

English teachers are in high demand. But you be surprised on how many people speak english here, its almost like the second language ( or third with most speaking Hindi with all the indians here). I'm not sure about american firms, but alot of European companies have office in Dubai. There is place called Media City in Dubai, they are looking heavy media production experts (video editors, post production, computer animators, visual effects).
Any chance you know the prerequisites to teach English there? Like I need a doctorate slash masters or is a BA good enough?

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

2LipsLegit wrote:

Been to Dubai a couple times, my pops works probably half the year out there. The citys beautiful and all that, but beneath the surface it basically disgusts me. I would never wanna live there, much rather move back to Ethiopia/Uganda/Kenya

You are not the only one that feels that way. Many do.

I have a few friends (Arab backgrounds) who thought that having Canadian university degrees would give them the upper hand when they move to the UAE. Friends have complained about the heat, and how beyond the fake architecture, there is no life. It is all fake. As Arabs who are non-Emirate, they are considered second class. Ex-pats of European and North American descent are put even before the non-Emirate Arabs, and then the lowest class are the Indians,Sri Lankans, Indonesians. Filipinos (whom they treat like slaves), etc. I heard it is also very expensive to live there for housing. 

Basically, if you do not have money or you are not an ex-pat, you will not have it as good as you envision it to be.

I will be frank. The Emirate (Gulf in general) culture, some aspects of it disgust me beyond words.

To OP, you live in Sharjah?  Isn't it the more religious kind of city? My parent's friends and their kids moved from here to there. The oldest son now lives back here. They live/lived in Sharjah and that's the type of picture they painted of it to me. They are quite religious too.

Alot of times people tell me the few point that you stated, and I always am surprised people even thought it would be any different. This is not the states or Europe. Honestly to the guy that said being in Africa would be any different, sadly not. In regards to it being fake in what way? Anyone moving to Dubai thinking its gonna be like London, or NY they are kidding themselves. Its a Muslim country and there are restrictions.

Basically, if you do not have money or you are not an ex-pat, you will not have it as good as you envision it to be.

Anyone who is not Emirati is a expat, American, Indian, anyone. Also this class system is not restricted to just Arabs. All the groups do it, Americans as well. They are thousands of college educated Indians and Pakistanis that own businesses here, but they employ their own people who aren't educated and treat them like second class citizens. From my travels (I've been to London, Rome, all over Africa and the US) this is system that we as a human race use, in some form or another.

One thing about Emiratis is that each emirate in the UAE can trace their ancestary to another country in the ME. Truth be told Saudis seem themselves as the top of the heat. Yemeni's are see as the lowest ( funny cause its the poorest of all the arab nations). Also Dubai is just as competitive as any other Job market. People are coming here in thousands trying to make a living. With Colleges all over the ME pumping out college graduates its tough for anyone to find a job, them being arab or not.

Again also this city is truly Bombay
laugh.gif

Most the professionals I meet here are Indian, and are educated all over. Thats who are getting the most positions in the city.

To OP, you live in Sharjah? Isn't it the more religious kind of city? My parent's friends and their kids moved from here to there. The oldest son now lives back here. They live/lived in Sharjah and that's the type of picture they painted of it to me. They are quite religious too.

Yeah Sharjah is so close to Dubai it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much when I just easily commute (Though traffic here is no joke). I pay less than $1000 for a 3 bedroom two bath apartment in a high rise with a parking space and gym in the building. My father pays around 650 for two bedroom in Abu Shagara district in Sharjah.

The only thing that makes Sharjah different than dubai is taht its dry no alcohol and its illegal to have it. Though as long as you keep you liquor in you house you are fine. Its more conservative, but thats really because so many families live here ( Dubai is mostly young working professionals). Also there is virtually no crime, Sharjah is where all the familes live in the Dubai/Sharjah.

Plus the rent has become so cheap compared to Dubai its really growing fast.

Originally Posted by Hazeleyed Honey

2LipsLegit wrote:

Been to Dubai a couple times, my pops works probably half the year out there. The citys beautiful and all that, but beneath the surface it basically disgusts me. I would never wanna live there, much rather move back to Ethiopia/Uganda/Kenya

You are not the only one that feels that way. Many do.

I have a few friends (Arab backgrounds) who thought that having Canadian university degrees would give them the upper hand when they move to the UAE. Friends have complained about the heat, and how beyond the fake architecture, there is no life. It is all fake. As Arabs who are non-Emirate, they are considered second class. Ex-pats of European and North American descent are put even before the non-Emirate Arabs, and then the lowest class are the Indians,Sri Lankans, Indonesians. Filipinos (whom they treat like slaves), etc. I heard it is also very expensive to live there for housing. 

Basically, if you do not have money or you are not an ex-pat, you will not have it as good as you envision it to be.

I will be frank. The Emirate (Gulf in general) culture, some aspects of it disgust me beyond words.

To OP, you live in Sharjah?  Isn't it the more religious kind of city? My parent's friends and their kids moved from here to there. The oldest son now lives back here. They live/lived in Sharjah and that's the type of picture they painted of it to me. They are quite religious too.

Alot of times people tell me the few point that you stated, and I always am surprised people even thought it would be any different. This is not the states or Europe. Honestly to the guy that said being in Africa would be any different, sadly not. In regards to it being fake in what way? Anyone moving to Dubai thinking its gonna be like London, or NY they are kidding themselves. Its a Muslim country and there are restrictions.

Basically, if you do not have money or you are not an ex-pat, you will not have it as good as you envision it to be.

Anyone who is not Emirati is a expat, American, Indian, anyone. Also this class system is not restricted to just Arabs. All the groups do it, Americans as well. They are thousands of college educated Indians and Pakistanis that own businesses here, but they employ their own people who aren't educated and treat them like second class citizens. From my travels (I've been to London, Rome, all over Africa and the US) this is system that we as a human race use, in some form or another.

One thing about Emiratis is that each emirate in the UAE can trace their ancestary to another country in the ME. Truth be told Saudis seem themselves as the top of the heat. Yemeni's are see as the lowest ( funny cause its the poorest of all the arab nations). Also Dubai is just as competitive as any other Job market. People are coming here in thousands trying to make a living. With Colleges all over the ME pumping out college graduates its tough for anyone to find a job, them being arab or not.

Again also this city is truly Bombay
laugh.gif

Most the professionals I meet here are Indian, and are educated all over. Thats who are getting the most positions in the city.

To OP, you live in Sharjah? Isn't it the more religious kind of city? My parent's friends and their kids moved from here to there. The oldest son now lives back here. They live/lived in Sharjah and that's the type of picture they painted of it to me. They are quite religious too.

Yeah Sharjah is so close to Dubai it doesn't make sense to pay twice as much when I just easily commute (Though traffic here is no joke). I pay less than $1000 for a 3 bedroom two bath apartment in a high rise with a parking space and gym in the building. My father pays around 650 for two bedroom in Abu Shagara district in Sharjah.

The only thing that makes Sharjah different than dubai is taht its dry no alcohol and its illegal to have it. Though as long as you keep you liquor in you house you are fine. Its more conservative, but thats really because so many families live here ( Dubai is mostly young working professionals). Also there is virtually no crime, Sharjah is where all the familes live in the Dubai/Sharjah.

Plus the rent has become so cheap compared to Dubai its really growing fast.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

English teachers are in high demand. But you be surprised on how many people speak english here, its almost like the second language ( or third with most speaking Hindi with all the indians here). I'm not sure about american firms, but alot of European companies have office in Dubai. There is place called Media City in Dubai, they are looking heavy media production experts (video editors, post production, computer animators, visual effects).
Any chance you know the prerequisites to teach English there? Like I need a doctorate slash masters or is a BA good enough?

I believe BA, but you may have to speak Arabic or Hindi depending on where you teach at, I'm not sure.

Also one key thing about working here. NO TAXES. No Sales Tax as well.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I believe BA, but you may have to speak Arabic or Hindi depending on where you teach at, I'm not sure.

Also one key thing about working here. NO TAXES. No Sales Tax as well.

Might be a little off topic here..
smile.gif

Any place in Dubai where to find good kicks?

Might be a little off topic here..
smile.gif

Any place in Dubai where to find good kicks?

Back
Top Bottom