Fast food workers protest for $15 minimum wage.

Why wouldn't you want to pay your workers or the people under you a few extra dollars even if it does come out of your pocket?
Most of these upper administrative execs salaries wouldn't even feel the difference. And to keep your workers happy means that your retention rate is higher, which means you're not constantly hiring new employees and paying to have them trained, which means you save a lot of money and increase profitability.

you cant compare a employee who shows up to work and CEO that risked his money and credit to build.maintain a business. learn from them and build your own business if you want to compare

edit- cosing on everything Thug said.
Most CEO' s are elected by the board of directors. They are not risking their own money nor sacrificing any of their own assets. The ones that are at risk are the shareholders. That's why you see many companies go bankrupt while these CEO's still skate away with their bonuses.
When the economy tanked, the upper echelon didn't even feel a scratch, most of the top corporations continued to post record profits while asking you to take less money and do the work of your neighbor that just got lay'd off. " just be happy that you still have a job" became the new corporate mantra.
If you believe that by going to school and getting a higher education (Masters Degree or PhD) will circumvent this, you're wrong. By the time you're done with your degree you will be buried in debt and unable to live that "lifestyle"
Chances of anyone on this forum becoming a Fortune 500 CEO are slim, odds are better in getting struck by lightning.

Last edited:
Not sure how raising the mininum works. But wouldnt it raise the prices on everything? Leaving minimum wage workers in the same situation? They need to protest to the multi billion dollar companies to raise up their pay.

Why wouldn't you want to pay your workers or the people under you a few extra dollars even if it does come out of your pocket?
Most of these upper administrative execs salaries wouldn't even feel the difference. And to keep your workers happy means that your retention rate is higher, which means you're not constantly hiring new employees and paying to have them trained, which means you save a lot of money and increase profitability.

Low skilled jobs. You don't have to worry about training or retention. ANYONE can do the job.

Low skilled jobs. You don't have to worry about training or retention. ANYONE can do the job.

there are jobs that don't do training?

Precisely. You learn on the job. For example, I worked at grocery store when I was 16. They showed me how to work the cash register and after 20 minutes I was live. I was supposed to ask a more seasoned person if I had a question. Got paid $8.25 at that job.

Fast forward two years later I got a job at a bank. 2 weeks paid training because it's not a low skill job. Started at $13.00 plus a healthy bonus structure.

Last edited:
Precisely. You learn on the job. For example, I worked at grocery store when I was 16. They showed me how to work the cash register and after 20 minutes I was live. I was supposed to ask a more seasoned person if I had a question. Got paid $8.25 at that job.

Fast forward two years later I got a job at a bank. 2 weeks paid training because it's not a low skill job. Started at $13.00.
They still "showed you how to work the cash register" that's training, not two weeks of training, but someone had to take those "20 minutes " and show you how to run the register. Those 20 minutes still cost the company money.

If you look at cost benefit ratio, it still costs the corporation money. Not all jobs can be done by chimpanzees

I would like to look at the cost benefit ratio analysis actually. It would be interesting to see how much money these companies are losing due to their extensive training of cashiering and burger assembly. Please post it.

Last edited:
that's wild.

I had to train new people on registers at a retail place I worked at. training period was 10 hours total, paid. if you couldn't pass a test after training you couldn't handle money. So essentially if you couldn't pass the test, you got paid for failing and got some extra training :lol: new hires were minimum wage.

Seems dependent on the company.

Yes anybody CAN do it but who WILL? I'm not saying give these guys 30g a year but man, something to where you could actually live off of.

Better pay = better employees? Better derive from said employees= more customers? I could see that as a possibility

Last edited:
I would like to look at the cost bebefit ratio actually. It would be interesting to see how much money these companies are losing due to their extensive training of cashiering and burger assembly. Please post it.
I do administrative work . It costs all companies to train employees. I did my homework, you have to do yours if you're that interested. I have absolutely no problem with anyone under me making a living wage. Even if it means I make a little less. There are many with college degrees working these menial task jobs because they are unable to find work in their fields. Take notice the next time you walk into one of these places. You'll see that they are older folks and not the high school crowd.

I do administrative work . It costs all companies to train employees. I did my homework, you have to do yours if you're that interested. I have absolutely no problem with anyone under me making a living wage. Even if it means I make a little less. There are many with college degrees working these menial task jobs because they are unable to find work in their fields. Take notice the next time you walk into one of these places. You'll see that they are older folks and not the high school crowd.
Besides, losing money and costing money are two different issues.

Yes I'm sure it costs. But how much are companies really losing to train versus how much they'd be losing by upping every low skilled worker to a "living wage". I doubt A is bigger than B.

taken from that article i posted

Government ministers have fought against the measure and insisted it will damage the economy, running small companies out of business and making it harder for young people to find employment. "A minimum wage won’t stop poverty", Economic Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann told The Christian Science Monitor. “This system would be counterproductive.”
The proposal would have eclipsed the existing highest minimum wages in force elsewhere in Europe. Trade unions backed it as a way of fighting poverty in a country that, by some measures, features the world's highest prices and most expensive cities. But opinion polls indicated that most voters sided with government and business leaders, who argued it would cost jobs and erode economic competitiveness.

Indeed, an individual entrepreneur running a small business has a very difficult life already, as every new imposition is much harder to overcome for a small business than it is for a large corporation. This is also why we often find that big corporations don't resist new regulations: they reckon they are likely to keep competition from upstarts at bay. It is laudable that several big Swiss corporations are evidently not following this trend.

If Swiss voters agree to introducing a new minimum wage law, they would end up doing incalculable damage to Switzerland's entrepreneurial culture. At the moment, Switzerland is still one of the freest economies in the world. It has been extremely successful so far and its achievements would clearly be put at risk. Hopefully Switzerland's voters won't be swayed by union's arguments.

so yea, use that collective force to get that 15 dollars an hour and watch all the mom and pops be replaced by corporate chains.

great article ^ "A minimum wage won’t stop poverty"
Most CEO' s are elected by the board of directors. They are not risking their own money nor sacrificing any of their own assets. The ones that are at risk are the shareholders. That's why you see many companies go bankrupt while these CEO's still skate away with their bonuses.
When the economy tanked, the upper echelon didn't even feel a scratch, most of the top corporations continued to post record profits while asking you to take less money and do the work of your neighbor that just got lay'd off. " just be happy that you still have a job" became the new corporate mantra.
If you believe that by going to school and getting a higher education (Masters Degree or PhD) will circumvent this, you're wrong. By the time you're done with your degree you will be buried in debt and unable to live that "lifestyle"
Chances of anyone on this forum becoming a Fortune 500 CEO are slim, odds are better in getting struck by lightning.
Ok but those board members that elected him have a chair on that board for a reason, in one way of another they have something invested/add value to the business. and thats what all this is really about, entry level workers getting offended when they are reminded that they are disposable and that there is no need to pay them more in a rough job market. The " just be happy that you still have a job" mantra will remain true until you become an asset for a company.

CEOs are risking their reputations though.
They make the decisions that drive a company and if it works out then everyone's happy. If it flops then everyone will know he made that decision and it will follow him. If a retail or entry level worker gets fired, there are numerous openings for the same position with pretty much the same wages at any given time. I highly doubt many companies actually call references and I'm not too certain but I don't think the HR of a company you previously worked for can disclose why you left. If a CEO makes a bad call and gets fired, then everyone knows about it and there aren't CEO jobs popping up everyday. Hell, for all they know it could be years before they get another position or they might not even get one for the rest of their life

They make the decisions that drive a company and if it works out then everyone's happy. If it flops then everyone will know he made that decision and it will follow him. If a retail or entry level worker gets fired, there are numerous openings for the same position with pretty much the same wages at any given time. I highly doubt many companies actually call references and I'm not too certain but I don't think the HR of a company you previously worked for can disclose why you left. If a CEO makes a bad call and gets fired, then everyone knows about it and there aren't CEO jobs popping up everyday. Hell, for all they know it could be years before they get another position or they might not even get one for the rest of their life

You're really enjoying the inside of that house, I see.

Their reputation lols. It truly astounds me just how naive some of you are.

Here just off the top of my head. Do some research on the interim CEO of the clippers.

From an article (2 year ago)

Last month, shareholders finally rebelled against Citigroup, the worst of the Too Big To Fail bailout disasters, by filing a lawsuit against outgoing chairman **** Parsons and handful of executives for stuffing their pockets while running the bank into the ground.

Anyone familiar with **** Parsons’ past could have told you his term as Citigroup’s chairman would end like this: Shareholder lawsuits, executive pay scandals, and corporate failure on a colossal scale. It’s the **** Parsons Management Style. In each of the three companies Parsons was appointed to lead, they all failed spectacularly, and somehow Parsons and a handful of top executives always walked away from the yellow-tape crime scenes unscathed.

Guy was a DISASTER at 3 companies. Somehow keeps getting richer and richer and his reputation seems to be doing just fine as he is now the interim CEO of the clippers

Stop buying into this garbage already. These guys in positions of power aren't that much better than you.

I agree with you. It's about their reputation. And for the most part a lot of these CEO's reputations are tainted. They don't show very well when you look at the huge discrepancy between CEO's and the workers beneath them. Seriously, how many millions is enough?
Especially when these minimum wage workers are working two jobs just to make ends meet. Take a look back at the huge leaps in CEO salaries in the past ten to fifteen years. And compare that to where the minimum wage is at? You don't have to search to hard too find that there is a huge discrepancy and it is one sided. We are behind in this as far as our society goes.

Their reputation lols. It truly astounds me just how naive some of you are.

Here just off the top of my head. Do some research on the interim CEO of the clippers.

From an article (2 year ago)

Last month, shareholders finally rebelled against Citigroup, the worst of the Too Big To Fail bailout disasters, by filing a lawsuit against outgoing chairman **** Parsons and handful of executives for stuffing their pockets while running the bank into the ground.

Anyone familiar with **** Parsons’ past could have told you his term as Citigroup’s chairman would end like this: Shareholder lawsuits, executive pay scandals, and corporate failure on a colossal scale. It’s the **** Parsons Management Style. In each of the three companies Parsons was appointed to lead, they all failed spectacularly, and somehow Parsons and a handful of top executives always walked away from the yellow-tape crime scenes unscathed.

Guy was a DISASTER at 3 companies. Somehow keeps getting richer and richer and his reputation seems to be doing just fine as he is now the interim CEO of the clippers

Stop buying into this garbage already. These guys in positions of power aren't that much better than you.

its all about the golden parachutes

Yawnnnnnnn we're getting nowhere with this. Companies are getting record profits through hard times while middle america is suffering. Fewer Americans are working than any time in decades, these companies are getting bigger pieces of the pie while the employees don't, 75% of the jobs being created are part time, we're facing the biggest gap between rich and poor in history, and yet  a $10 minimum wage is just too much. 

What are the solutions then?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom