Favorite city outside of your own?

I'm from Boston. Proud to be from here. but...visited friends in Philly yesterday for the 4th of July and realized how much better of a city it is (people wise). So much more diversity and got an overall friendlier vibe. Talked to plenty of Philadelphians last night at bars and BBQs and the ones that visited Boston agreed with me.

Outside of your own state/city...where would you live or where do you wish you grew up if you had to pick?
Man you should check out NYC for diversity.. Specially queens...

Austin is overrated. It's catered towards white people..the whole "Austin is diverse" thing is BS. It's also small and congested..

I like Houston and how huge the city is. Good food, very diverse place. The humid and traffic is bad but you get used to it.

how exactly?

Taipei101%202(1).jpg

how exactly?

- There is no black culture there. There's one part of the city with a concentration of African-Americans. The city is 7% African American.

- Bars turning away black patrons countless times (If I wasn't in a rush, I would find a few articles..this has also happened in Dallas as well though)

- Documented history of racism. If I recall correctly, just last year there were students at UT Austin throwing bleach balloons on minority students. Sure, that is an incident on a college campus, but look around...

If you look around, most stores in the Austin are aimed towards Caucasian hipsters. There aren't many black professionals in the area in general.

I'm not saying I dislike the city. I've visited around 30-40 times the past two years (family)

I just wouldn't be surprised if an African-American told me they were stared at or felt unwelcome in the city.

Last edited:
how exactly?

- There is no black culture there. There's one part of the city with a concentration of African-Americans. The city is 7% African American.

- Bars turning away black patrons countless times (If I wasn't in a rush, I would find a few articles..this has also happened in Dallas as well though)

I'm not saying I dislike the city. I've visited around 30-40 times the past two years (family)

damn i remember one out of three nights on 6th some black dudes were pissed that they couldn't get into the bar. They were dressed nicely and didn't seem intoxicated either.
Now that I think about... I didn't see but one or two black guys on sixth street aside from the ones who couldn't get in.

Last edited:
From NYC

Miami's nice for a vacation spot.
Chicago

Need to visit Cali or outside the US and come back to this thread tho

I never wanted to visit Texas aside from maybe the food aspect since I love BBQ and red meat. How are the people towards Asian Americans? According to yelp, they make up only 3.8 percent of the whole state.

I never wanted to visit Texas aside from maybe the food aspect since I love BBQ and red meat. How are the people towards Asian Americans? According to yelp, they make up only 3.8 percent of the whole state.

Well there aren't many Asian Americans so its hard to tell :lol:

- Documented history of racism. If I recall correctly, just last year there were students at UT Austin throwing bleach balloons on minority students. Sure, that is an incident on a college campus, but look around...

If you look around, most stores in the Austin are aimed towards Caucasian hipsters. There aren't many black professionals in the area in general.

I just wouldn't be surprised if an African-American told me they were stared at or felt unwelcome in the city.
I agree/disagree with you on some of these.
My wife is from Austin but I have never really had problems there. Now I know Round Rock, etc, you may experience somethings but with that being said, I love houston but I have ran into way more racism here then Austin. Especially out in Katy(where I work) and also there are a couple of bars that have turned me away downtown-montrose area as well. Was a brotha fuming, **** yeah, because my circle is mad diverse and "Houston" prides themselves on that but I really just think you can find that anywhere, even when I go back home to SF, for a city that prides themselves on diversity as well they sure as hell are pushing people out.
Edit : I remember that UT scandal with the water balloon with bleach in it. They were bleach bombing asians, blacks, etc...

^^^^^What do you mean pushing people out? I think SF is more of a class system. It's still really diverse but way too many rich people are moving in due to the jobs out here.

Well there aren't many Asian Americans so its hard to tell :lol:

Haha. I guess I expected that.

Depends on where you go.
Being that you are from SF, Asian diversity is lacking here.
Biggest make up of Asian Americans(at least in Houston-Dallas-Austin)is Vietnamese, Chinese,Filipinos.
It's very rare to see a person of Japanese, korean, Laos,Cambodian, etc. descent in these areas(very small percent).That's why my wife wants to move the bay because she loved that it was so many asian groups that reside there..
Edit: yeah a lot of techies(as you know) are moving in and they are pushing most of the middle class out with the increase in rent or just overall gentrification. I read a story about a year ago about a land lord doing some unethical things to an asian family in lower nob hill so he could get a new building built.Plus you know Hayes Valley was never that "safe" back in the day, lol..
Also the black population is having a hard time staying a float, so many have to move to Sac-town,Oakland,or the out skirts just to make it because of them being priced out. Hell even Fillmore is safe and that's saying a lot. I mean I have friends that live in the Mission and they are getting rent increases from their landlords, so they are thinking of moving to Daly City or even Vallejo just to be able to stay in the area. Even though I want to move back to SF, I know in my heart it can't be in the city( maybe if I move to outer Richmond or back on Taraval, with our combined income we could make it. But in all honesty we would have to look at Burlingame, or something like that to live comfortably..

Last edited:
^^^^It's insane. I live in the Fillmore too. Definitely different than it used to be but you still have that pocket where it can be deemed as bad, even though it really isn't. City is jacked up though. Rent is higher is even higher than NYC. Outer Richmond is even crazy. Rent seems to be the same across the whole city but you get more in farther areas.

This might be a bad example but an example regardless. These are the newly renovated apartment in Lower Haight (on the same block as Upper Playground). There was a fire not to long ago and the whole building had to be restructured. Below now is CVS drug store (practically a mini grocery market) and a couple of new yuppy sandwich and ice cream shops. Because of this build, it has somewhat made this block nice now when before it was a whatever area. The apartments went up for rent and a 1 or 2 bedroom cost $4,000 a month ! That is $48k a year to live there. So may more buildings are being built too around Hayes Valley, Castro/Church, Mission and Dogpatch behind the ballpark and everyone renting or buying these places up are all young professionals in their 20-30's.

hfapartments2.jpg

http://hoodline.com/2013/09/haight-and-fillmore-apartments-now-available

^ That's insane. Situation sounds very similar to my neighborhood. This **** is a shame man 
mean.gif

The Filthymoe ain't what it used to be. South of Geary is relatively "safe" now.

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr
I knew something was different about that block last year but couldn't put my finger on it..
Lol..
Yeah I mean even Masonic looks better then it normally does. But **** is crazy, I even joked with my wife about living in China Town but she hit me with that Cam'ron gif face. Yeah my rent back in 04-05 was a 1,000 even when I lived on 44th and Vicente. I curiously looked at the prices now and they were sitting at a cool 1,500-1,800..
Nah can't do it, especially with a baby on the way. But yeah , I'm also curious what they will do with the Candlestick area since the niners are leaving.. I don't know, Daly City seems fair but they are kinda of going od with prices as well as some of the spots in Berkeley and Emeryville.Looking at San Mateo as well but more then likely since I have friends and family in Sac-town, that's were we will end up moving within the next year or two after I finish my MBA..

Fong$tarr Fong$tarr
I knew something was different about that block last year but couldn't put my finger on it..
Lol..
Yeah I mean even Masonic looks better then it normally does. But **** is crazy, I even joked with my wife about living in China Town but she hit me with that Cam'ron gif face. Yeah my rent back in 04-05 was a 1,000 even when I lived on 44th and Vicente. I curiously looked at the prices now and they were sitting at a cool 1,500-1,800..
Nah can't do it, especially with a baby on the way. But yeah , I'm also curious what they will do with the Candlestick area since the niners are leaving.. I don't know, Daly City seems fair but they are kinda of going od with prices as well as some of the spots in Berkeley and Emeryville.Looking at San Mateo as well but more then likely since I have friends and family in Sac-town, that's were we will end up moving within the next year or two after I finish my MBA..

Sac, and the surrounding areas are very very cheap. For about 350-400k you can get a nice 4 bedroom 3 bath house in a nice area. I live in the peninsula and it is expensive but not as expensive as the city or some parts of San Jose.

Sac, and the surrounding areas are very very cheap. For about 350-400k you can get a nice 4 bedroom 3 bath house in a nice area. I live in the peninsula and it is expensive but not as expensive as the city or some parts of San Jose.
Hows the drive from Sac to San Francisco?

I'm from LA. I always wanted to move up to the Bay but cost of living is just too high. Turned down a couple job offers in Marina, Redwood City and Menlo Park because the pay increase wouldn't be sufficient.

favorite city outside of NYC is Tokyo.

favorite cities in the U.S. outside of NYC = Chicago and San Diego

Yeah my dad lives in Sac( by the the V.A. Hospital( can't remember what they call it) but his apartment complex was no Bueno, lol, but the area looks like its on the come up. Didn't get a good look of everything but going for the holidays to get a more in depth look. Also have a friend that just moved around UC Davis and he seems to like it, so we will see..
When I drove last year from SF to Sac it took about 2-2 1/2 hours( wj4 wj4 had no idea about the toll, lol, but toll booth dude was cool about it.

Hows the drive from Sac to San Francisco?

I'm from LA. I always wanted to move up to the Bay but cost of living is just too high. Turned down a couple job offers in Marina, Redwood City and Menlo Park because the pay increase wouldn't be sufficient.

Like an hour or two depending on traffic. Sacramento isn't technically the Bay Area. It's kind of a different city in itself. Living out there is a little different than living in the general Bay Area. Not in a bad way but just different. Even within the Bay Area itself, all the different counties are different. It's kind of what makes this place so unique.

Back
Top Bottom