Finishing up Bachelor's degree at 25

I graduate with my Bachelor's in Business Administration this December...my main question is do jobs look at it as a bad thing when you're graduating a few years later than you should have? Also, any tips would be appreciated.

I originally went away to college on track scholarship but was young, immature, didn't care much about my classes and didn't want to run anymore after a couple years. I enrolled back in the university I was at with all online classes that I've been doing for the past couple years while working full-time. The plus side is I now have over a year of experience in finance and have a couple internships under my belt as well. Also have an interview with Verizon for a Financial Operations Rep position today.

View media item 2158000

Honestly, you just gotta get in.. Degree(s) get you in the door and better starting salary.. But really just gotta get hired and then make your way in the field

Graduated at 25 too. Had no problems getting interviews, a lot of them would just ask what I did between 18 and 21. Not too big of an issue IMO.

I graduate with my Bachelor's in Business Administration this December...my main question is do jobs look at it as a bad thing when you're graduating a few years later than you should have? Also, any tips would be appreciated.

I originally went away to college on track scholarship but was young, immature, didn't care much about my classes and didn't want to run anymore after a couple years. I enrolled back in the university I was at with all online classes that I've been doing for the past couple years while working full-time. The plus side is I now have over a year of experience in finance and have a couple internships under my belt as well. Also have an interview with Verizon for a Financial Operations Rep position today.

It's all about painting the positive. I used to interview ~10 candidates a month or so and I'd look at the time it took to get their degree. If it looked long, I'd ask why. If they said "I partied a lot", that was a negative. However, if they said "I paid my way through college so I worked full-time and took classes part-time to reduce loans" or something like that, it showed me that they were forward-thinking and hardworking. So just frame it positively.

^This. Potential employers will love the going to school and working full time thing. Shows initiative and a level of dedication

RIP

Why's that a bad thing?

Dunno what he means by RIP. That's a good *** degree. Just follow what the poster above said and say you were working full time while going to school part time and paying your way through college. Interviewers love hearing that, and it'll show you have real world experience vs. some kid graduating college without any real world experience.

You'll be good man. Keep us posted on that Verizon interview!

Congrats. I'me 26 and still working on mine. It's been a sloooow grind.

I think tay1 was talking about how it's a very generic degree.

I actually was originally Broadcast Journalism then switched to Marketing then finally switched to Business Administration because I thought it would be the broadest degree I could get. I feel like I could really use it towards anything besides medicine/law. I didn't want to get a specific degree and end up not wanting to work in that field when I'm done or not be able to find a job in it.

No shame in getting a degree later in life. Had class with folks getting their PhDs MDs and JDs in their 30's. A relative just launched his first startup at 54.

Congrats if I didn't tell you before.
pimp.gif

No big deal. From what you mentioned, it looks like you have a good amount of both life and work experience, which helps you stick out with a lot of 20-21 recent grads who are still immature.

Most importantly, congrats!

Good luck man, you are def on the right path. As mentioned above, I've had class with plenty of older folks. Nothing wrong with gaining more knowledge.

Some people take longer than others. What matters is that you finished (or will). It shows dedication and commitment. Plus, you've put yourself ahead of others with things on your resume by the time you graduate.

I actually was originally Broadcast Journalism then switched to Marketing then finally switched to Business Administration because I thought it would be the broadest degree I could get. I feel like I could really use it towards anything besides medicine/law. I didn't want to get a specific degree and end up not wanting to work in that field when I'm done or not be able to find a job in it.
Business Administration isn't a bad degree, but like you and others have said it is broad and generic. Keep in mind you're competing with candidates that specialize in positions you're applying for so you want to have things on your resume that reflect you having experience doing certain kinds of work or having specific skills. You should try and learn or brush up on certain programs/languages that are relevant to fields you're interested in. Always have examples prepared for interviews that you can relate to the different fields you're applying for.

Naturally you want to apply to full-time positions, but don't rule out applying for fall semester internships because those could lead to full-time employment. Since you graduate in December you'd be finished with the internship by the time you're done with school anyways.

Last edited:
No shame in getting a degree later in life. Had class with folks getting their PhDs MDs and JDs in their 30's. A relative just launched his first startup at 54.

This.

I got a com sci and business degree by 22. I'll be applying for an MBA and I am in my 30s now.

It's good that you're putting pressure on yourself. However, hopefully it doesn't make you take short cuts and and get a degree that doesnt pay much (e.g. most arts/liberal arts degrees).

Last edited:
as long as you got it, you're better off than not...in fact, having work experience is gonna give u da advantage over straight outta college folks.

Congrats famb.. I'm 26 and thinking of going back to school... only have 2 semesters worth of city college 
laugh.gif
I dont emm know what "career" I want.. I'm already financially comfortable

Last edited:
A lot of parallels with my life after High School, I moved to Atlanta to run track for Georgia State out of high school but only lasted a semester before I left and realized I wasn't fast enough to have a future in sprinting no matter how much I worked on technique/form.  Moved to DC and went to George Washington and left after another semester there.  Took a break away from school for a bit and started taking classes at Orange Coast College in Orange County in SoCal for awhile and then transferred and finished up at a University in Cali.  I didn't graduate until 26 but I did it with 0 debt since I paid for everything out of pocket with money I stacked up during the time of the break I took from school.  Now 6 years later at 32 I'm not making 6 figures or anything but I'm living pretty comfortably, more than most ppl I went to school with that graduated at younger ages like 22-24 range. 

for a second I thought I made this thread because i'm completing my bs at 25 as well. we'll just need to supplement our degrees with work experience, etc but its not big deal.

Haha.....later in life. 25 is mad young and most of the 22 year olds I see are still immature. Just have a reason behind your long college career. Some bosses do ask what took so long and even reason as going on trips and taking breaks is almost a legitimate one now.

I graduated when I was 26. My homie got his BA at almost damn near 30. We all have jobs now and it wasn't the biggest deal. I would say my advantage is I had more of a gift of gab at 26 than I did at 22. Job interviews are subject to so many things now and a degree will only get you so far.

you'll be fine fam. but what you really need to cop is that mba. ba's are so common now its like a hs diploma. I just completed my dual Masters earlier this year. Masters of Business Administration and Masters of Science in Finance. Hella work, but it felt like an accomplishment when I could finally breathe again. I suggest that if you plan to go back, go now while your brain is still firing and in school mode. Much easier than going back later. I had gotten the itch and started applying to schools. Got in. Made the decision which one to go to. Was hella excited. got my mind completely focused. Locked in from a personal standpoint. Got all new stuff, financial calc, notebooks, bookbags, laptops and bags. Was completely committed. After the first class, I was like f this ****, why am I doing this again?!?! lmao. But I got past it and just kept grinding. Probably would've been an easier transition had I had gone right after undergrad. Best of luck in the future comrade

Back
Top Bottom