Finishline Going Out of Business??

Possibly. Thoughts?
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01052008/business/finish_line_may_need_drastic_steps_219203.htm?dlbk

January 5, 2008 -- If Finish Line is forced to complete its ill-fated takeover of rival shoe seller Genesco, the combined company may have to shed assets orsell out to a private-equity shop, sources told The Post.

Finish Line boss Alan Cohen, facing a barrage of questions from analysts on a conference call yesterday, said he wants to "wait and see" whether aNew York court will force Swiss bank UBS, the struggling sneaker chain's adviser, to finance the $1.5 billion buyout of Genesco.

UBS balked at providing the aggressive debt package amid the global credit crisis and a downturn in Genesco's business.

"The merger would be impossible," if UBS prevails in its argument that the combined company would be too weak and burdened with debt to avoidbankruptcy, Cohen said.

Cohen's comments came after Finish Line reported a steeper-than-expected fiscal third-quarter loss.

Finish Line shares plunged 46 cents, or 21 percent, to close at $1.75. Shares of the company have been hammered by more than 80 percent in the lastyear.

Some critics argue that Finish Line - which last week was ordered by a Tennessee judge to complete the deal - actually has plenty of options to keep itselfsolvent after a purchase of Genesco.

Aside from merger synergies that may be understated, the companies would have room to cut administrative costs and capital spending on new stores.

More drastic options could include shuttering stores or even entire divisions.

A source close to Finish Line said the company is "evaluating its options."

John Shanley, an analyst at Susquehanna Financial Group, noted that Finish Line's struggling Man Alive chain, which hawks urban street fashions, isburning cash and that closing it would help stop the bleeding.

The same is true of Genesco's Underground Station unit. If sold, Genesco's Johnston & Murphy chain could fetch hundreds of millions of dollars,industry insiders say.

To get UBS to back off its claim that the merged company would be insolvent, Finish Line and Genesco also might raise capital through a public equityoffering, or even sell a big stake in the merged company to a private-equity firm, said one source close to the situation.

Indeed, former UBS investment banker Ken Moelis, who was hired by Finish Line as the Genesco deal was beginning to unravel, contacted several private equityfirms to gauge their interest in a possible partnership with the combined company, according to testimony in the Tennessee case.

i wish. they're a grimey company....

they agreed to be bought out by Genesco but then they backed out...

i cant wait for them to get bought out (hopeully they will be) so i can get my discount
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by sole lovely

i cant wait for them to get bought out (hopeully they will be) so i can get my discount
pimp.gif

they backed out because the other company lied on there paperwork

Not surprise at all. With the Genesco thing, They were either taking over the business or going out of business.
Many FootCos are also going out of business.

Footlocker is losing money slowly. They were planing to close about 250 stores and stop selling slower-selling merchandise.

US sales are going down fast. Expect them to close down a fair amount of stores in the US and open about 30 new stores in European countries.

Theres talk about selling Footlocker Inc. , Genesco was their hope to get back on track but they couldnt afford to buy it.

Originally Posted by sole lovely

pimp.gif
Actually it was the other way around FINL was buying Genesco, however Genesco falsified paperwork. So why wouldn't they want to back out? I wishsomeone would buy out FootInc. and chop them up, they are faaar worse than FINL...

You think boutiques have anything to do with it? Is it the market or is it the store itself?

Finishline outbid Footlocker to buy Genesco.

Footlocker is heavily dependent on Nike. They need Genesco's casual footwear and accessories lines to make money off something besides Nike.

Originally Posted by belle155

so if finishline and footlocker closed, where would i get my shoes? estbay?

Not only did you misspell Eastbay, Footlocker, Footaction, Champs, and Eastbay are all under the same company. When you have places like DTLR discountingshoes a week after they come out, how can other companies stay in business when they refuse to discount shoes that aren't selling?

Originally Posted by theo6kid

You think boutiques have anything to do with it? Is it the market or is it the store itself?

I would say not really. Boutiques have been around forever and the product they carry historically has been segmented differently from what you would seein traditional athletic specialty chains like FINL, Foot,etc. Granted is seems as though there are tons more boutiques than there ever were before.
Just like everyone's a rapper or actor, nowadays it seems like everyone owns a sneaker store. But the BIG's ala Nike,Reebok, Adidas,etc. still look tothe Footlockers and FINL's to do volume business at decent pricepoints...(rather than JC Penney or Kohl's who do volume but at much lower prices)

The industry in general is down and everyone is struggling, the economy is floundering, we're at war, housing market sucks, we're uncertain about whoour next president will be. All this leads to people being far more price sensitive and cautious with their "disposable" income, this hurts thesneaker companies and consequently the sneaker chains.

The lack of compelling product from alot of the big shoe companies is also another reason why the industry is struggling as a whole, not to mention the boomin the electronics arena where is seems like everyone is buying a Wii, Plasma tv, an I-pod, I-phone, PS3, etc.

This all takes $$ away from the shoe game, it will be interesting to see where things stand at the end of 08. I think that whoevers still standing at the endof this year will be in pretty decent shape moving forward as I think things will improve going into 09 with some long-term leadership in place and hopefully arecovering economy.

Only time will tell...

Boutiques, small businesses and medium-size businesses are taking down all those big stores.

Why go to Footlocker when you could go to a mom and pops store that have the same pair of kicks that you saw at foolocker for cheaper and are willing todiscount a lil more?

With all the new sneaker spots coming up every month it's gonna be hard for stores like Footlocker to stay alive.

Originally Posted by hnydlr

Boutiques, small businesses and medium-size businesses are taking down all those big stores.

Why go to Footlocker when you could go to a mom and pops store that have the same pair of kicks that you saw at foolocker for cheaper and are willing to discount a lil more?

With all the new sneaker spots coming up every month it's gonna be hard for stores like Footlocker to stay alive.

I would say it's the opposite. If you talk to a buyer or owner of some of these mom and pop stores, they're more concerned about Footlocker, etc.discounting the product. I know Foot sometimes discounts brand new product before it even has a chance to sell at regular price. They have more 2 for and BOGOthan any other company I've ever seen. Now sadly FINL has begun following suit with their 50 spot and own 2 for 89...

The little guys can't afford to compete with the big boys because the bigger chains have more product to make margin,etc. That's why alot of buyersbefore they take inventory on a collection always ask "Is Foot getting it?, if so I don't want it. They'll Bogo their own mother..."

I think where the little guys hurts the big chains is by simply having more compelling, interesting, limited edition product. This makes it boring for thesneakerhead to go into Footlocker or FINL once they've been in Alife, or Sportie LA, Micheal K's, Proper,etc.

funny thing was, footlocker was going to pay cash for genesco, while finishline bought them on credit, which sucks for them, but oh well, i hope they both godown in flames, hahaha, not putting stuff on sale that aint selling, NO ONE WANTS NIKE PRESTIGES!!!

I definitely forsee a future of big chains going under. They pay their employees next to nothing , and 90% of their stuff is not appealing at all.

bad inventory turnover rates, excessive expansion and horrible management are the causes. not to mention that salespeoople are pushy which alienates customers,causing them to just to go the source (nike outlets, NDC, etc.) to get the shoes.

I guess a majority of NT'ers will be on the unemployment line soon. I foresee alot of heat in the B/S/T forums soon
laugh.gif

It's funny that a couple years ago how good this company was doing. I guess I got out at the right time.

1.75$ for FNL stock. If I buy stock, do I get a store discount? Serious question. It'd be worth it to even buy 40 shares and if they have a stockowner 20%off discount, I could make that money back and then some in like 3 shoe purchases.

Back
Top Bottom