FIXED GEARS

Yup, im gonna have a rear not front.. i dont wanna go flying off the front ahhahaha.

a friend of mine who is the same height as me has a bike, so while i have my single speed im gonna practice on my boys fixed so i can start to learn

Originally Posted by DJ bana

Yup, im gonna have a rear not front.. i dont wanna go flying off the front ahhahaha.

a friend of mine who is the same height as me has a bike, so while i have my single speed im gonna practice on my boys fixed so i can start to learn
Actually, on a single speed bike you're supposed to have BOTH a front and a rear brake. One or the other is not going to suffice. What happensif your front brake goes out and you have no rear brake while in an intersection? SPLAT! What happens if your rear brake goes out and you have no front brake?SPLAT!

Get both, or don't ride SS IMO.
smile.gif

yea, what i meant was you need two brakes. because without a rear brake you can't control your speed on the rear wheel like you can on a fixed gear.

or just ride it fixed, it's pretty easy to pick up on, you'll get it in no time.

thats a cool ride though, i like the disc brake.

Anyway, I'm going to ride the Tour de Queens today. Anyone else gonna be there?

word, but controlling the rear brake is easier than the front, no? either way, my dude is a pro so hes not gonna set me up with something thatll kill me.hahah. ill keep you guys posted and ill post my bike when its all finished. thanks for the tips =]

also, i have no problem learning to ride fixed... but i know tons of friends who have busted their %!$*# while learning... with school/work and my 2 otherhobbies, it reallyyyyyy isnt suitable for me to have any kind of chance of falling or injuries. meh, who knows... ill prob pick it up fast i just want to knowfor sure that i can rid fixed before i invest in one.

when i bought my first car (which is manual), i stalled out 3 times my first day and gave up. i let it sit in the driveway for 2 days until i had the courageto take it on the road again. BAM, i learned in one day and havent stalled since... im sure riding fixed is similar.

Been wanting to get into fixed for a while but finances
eyes.gif

I just wanna build one out of spare parts3, but the frame si the biggest issue. My dude did it
laugh.gif
@ him ODing on bike related accessories

Front and rear brakes is definitely the way to go on a single speed. The front brake provides something like 70% of the stopping power, so learn to use itproperly.

Finally got my new frame in today, time to start building.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Front and rear brakes is definitely the way to go on a single speed. The front brake provides something like 70% of the stopping power, so learn to use it properly.

Finally got my new frame in today, time to start building.
Rafs, that's a beautiful frame you have there... make sure to equip her with the parts she deserves :d
I see you've already started with the Chris King headset... nice.

Awhile ago, I contemplated buying that exact frame... only if NJS frames were built for people who are 6'
frown.gif

Oh well, I suppose an 80s Italian roadie will suffice
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by dwells4life

Rafs, that's a beautiful frame you have there... make sure to equip her with the parts she deserves :d

Awhile ago, I contemplated buying that exact frame... only if NJS frames were built for people who are 6'
frown.gif

tongue.gif
Thanks man, I already have most of the components just waiting on a few more. I'll post pics when its all done.

There is definitely no shame in an older italian frame, sooo nice. What frame?

Originally Posted by chris boshs neck

why are these so much harder to ride than normal bikes?
Not necessarily harder, they just take some getting used too. For one there is no coasting, so you are constantly pedaling. Second, you only haveone gear, so if your going from flats to hills you're stuck with the same gear (unless you bring cogs and tools with you). Third, if you are ridingbrakeless, you need to make sure that you can skid stop safely and efficiently otherwise you're done for.

Originally Posted by rafsjays

Originally Posted by dwells4life

frown.gif

tongue.gif
Thanks man, I already have most of the components just waiting on a few more. I'll post pics when its all done.

There is definitely no shame in an older italian frame, sooo nice. What frame?
I've been looking into getting either a Pinarello or Colnago from the 80s... I haven't found a frame that's my size w/ Columbus SLXtubing, so I guess I'll continue playing the waiting game. I want either a Pinarello Montello, or a Colnago Master.

Relatively new to the bike scene and I had some questions:

What's with the setups where they only have an Aerospoke wheel in either the front or the back? Is this for form or function?

What's a good forum to start researching bikes and some online stores with lots of inventory?

TIA

put on some bullhorns. was planning on only wrapping horns, but ended up wrapping all the way. I needa go buy another roll of cloth tape.
r90f7k.jpg

2wmlut2.jpg

the stickers on the mirror are covering a whole mess of cracks from smashing the bikes into it all the time
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Control Are

Relatively new to the bike scene and I had some questions:

What's with the setups where they only have an Aerospoke wheel in either the front or the back? Is this for form or function?

What's a good forum to start researching bikes and some online stores with lots of inventory?

TIA

I would say, that aerospoke, while heavier
than many steel spoked wheels (ie, most stock wheel sets)
is a much more stable ride, that carbon is nice and thick- i ride mine on front, so it absorbs shock of city potholes and such, plus i dont think id like toput a lot of stress on it (skidding and such)

thebike.jpg

theres my ride

sup bana, longtime notalk!
ride that brake on the back, mounted in front would totally flip you over on an abrupt stop!

rafsjays....wicked sick samson frame there dude....some day ill step it up and go njs

This is my bike
Its a Mercier Kilo TT. I call her Bonifa
I'm getting some Toshi Double straps pretty soon and I think I'm gonna get it powdercoated white
3657233531_b5247cc6c8_b.jpg

im still pissed at my mom for selling my bike at the garage sale
smh.gif

im working on my car so its going to be down for a couple weeks, right now would be a perfect time to be riding to work and around the city

check LAFIXEDdotCOM all the fixie heads are on there. mine, and tryin to get rid to buy a roadie.

hahahaah this %+!#%+#@+$+$ comes in trying to promote lafixed and *@#*%% posts "fixie" and his *%++ bike.... seriously. ur a bad rep...

No offense to anyone here, but I don't see the point in a fixed-gear bike.

Can someone shed some light?

Because I get a zen like feeling while riding. Its like I'm one with the road...truly Zen like.

Fixed gear bikes help develop cadence, endurance, and pedaling technique.

Back
Top Bottom