FLA NTers, any insight on Orlando area?

Quick background: contemplating a relocation to Orlando for a great job opportunity. Anyone have insight into the area overall? I would be coming from northeast CT so I understand the culture shock already, but anything as far as nicer areas around Orlando to settle in, please let me know!

I'm moving there in 2 and a half weeks from the east coast as well. I'm staying with my boy and his family until me and my boy get an apartment. I heard really good things about the hunters creek area as far as a nice area to live. I'm just trying to find a spot that doesn't have a crazy roach problem. It seems like every Yelp review I read about a complex has people complaining about roaches. When I was there in the summer I checked a few places out and straight up asked them if they had a roach problem and some of them straight up told me I should expect it. Due to the heat I guess it's a pretty well known issue in Florida.

The more money you have the better life you will have here. Tons of thingns to do as long as you have a car and money. Wages are low here but so is rent.

A roach problem or a random roach once a month? Florida has roaches. Just something minor you have to deal with on occasion. 

I'd highly recommend living downtown if you're young and appreciate going out. Downtown has a great bar scene. If you want to live cheap but close walking distance to downtown, check out the apartments around Lake Lucerne which is just blocks from downtown. The other cool areas are Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney, and if you have the bread, Winter Park. All are in relatively close proximity to downtown. 

We've got some awesome restaurants, most notably in Winter Park. 

I'd stay the hell away from Hunters Creek and all that tourist stuff way south of the city. No thanks. Another spot a lot of newcomers live is the Millenia area. It's aight. Some decent shorty's at the pools. 

Oh yeah, Sunday Funday is like nothing you've ever seen elsewhere. Chuuurch. 

Last edited:
Maybe people were exaggerating, but I swear yelp reviews made it seem like an infestation damn near everywhere lol.

A roach problem or a random roach once a month? Florida has roaches. Just something minor you have to deal with on occasion. 

I'd highly recommend living downtown if you're young and appreciate going out. Downtown has a great bar scene. If you want to live cheap but close walking distance to downtown, check out the apartments around Lake Lucerne which is just blocks from downtown. The other cool areas are Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney, and if you have the bread, Winter Park. All are in relatively close proximity to downtown. 

We've got some awesome restaurants, most notably in Winter Park. 

I'd stay the hell away from Hunters Creek and all that tourist stuff way south of the city. No thanks. Another spot a lot of newcomers live is the Millenia area. It's aight. Some decent shorty's at the pools. 

Oh yeah, Sunday Funday is like nothing you've ever seen elsewhere. Chuuurch. 

Do you have a recommendation as far as a realtor or just checking online and getting linked up with someone that way?

Do you have a recommendation as far as a realtor or just checking online and getting linked up with someone that way?
You looking to buy prior to the move? Nah man I'd get down here first, maybe rent a place close to where you work.

If you're just looking to rent I'd hit Craigslist and line up a handful of visits when you first get here. 

You looking to buy prior to the move? Nah man I'd get down here first, maybe rent a place close to where you work.

If you're just looking to rent I'd hit Craigslist and line up a handful of visits when you first get here. 

Got it, thanks. I am going to be visiting in April where I will be looking at some places and then moving in May. Ideally, would like to rent a furnished apartment for no more than $1000. Is this feasible in the areas you mentioned? Thanks for the heads up, will check out CL when I know the week I will be in the area in April of this year.

Where will your job opportunity be? They are going to start a 6 year construction on I4 and I'm sure it will be a stupid cluster even worse than it is now. 

I agree with Chopper though, downtown is where it's at. I live downtown, moving to my new house in Delaney Park in a month (right outside downtown). It's 15 minutes from anywhere in the greater Orlando area and you can just hop on I4 or 408 to get anywhere else you need to be at. 

Got it, thanks. I am going to be visiting in April where I will be looking at some places and then moving in May. Ideally, would like to rent a furnished apartment for no more than $1000. Is this feasible in the areas you mentioned? Thanks for the heads up, will check out CL when I know the week I will be in the area in April of this year.
$1,000 is achievable, but you'll have to find an owner that's renting their place out, as opposed to going through a leasing office somewhere. 

$1,150 is probably more reasonable for a good place. As insight, a 1/1 in the best condo's downtown is costing about ~$1,400 - ~$1,500. But yeah Craigslist will be your best friend for sure. 

Back
Top Bottom