FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

That's not true what he said about there not being any Caribbean spots on the West Coast. There's at least seven Jamaican restaurants within 15 minutes of me. There may not be many in Northern Cali. But Southern Cali? Nah, there's plenty.

Lee’s Caribbean

Restaurant
1/19/2019
This place is an embarrassment to jamaican cuisine. The rice and peas was dry, the oxtail was dark and oily. Any true Jamaican can tell the difference between good food and fawt. This place is fawt.

Blessed Tropical Jamaican
Cuisine

7/25/2018
I didn't feel #blessed when I came in to find that a 25-item menu had been narrowed to about five dishes that morning (but also my bad, should have called to see if what I wanted was available). Happily, curry goat and oxtails were on the narrow list of things the chef decided to make that day. No patties, which was a bummer. On the upside, I could grab some Chippie's banana chips, which first-, second-, and third-generation Jamaicans will know and appreciate. The reason for the lower rating is that the woman who served my food and happened to be sitting and eating her own meal when I walked in spit bones into her hands before she entered the kitchen to scoop my order into styrofoam containers. I couldn't tell if she washed them after. Does it matter? It was so bad that it was almost glorious. I've never seen that before...not even at my auntie's house. (To be fair, auntie wouldn't stop eating her food to get up and make me the plate of goat and rice and peas I could easily get for myself from the kitchen.) Support family-owned businesses, but also support customers who don't want to see bones being pulled from lips before their food is prepared.

5/14/2018
Went to this place because of the reviews. I was disappointed, the oxtails didn't have a great flavor. They were soft and fell off the bone. The cabbage wasn't cooked or was still hard and the rice and peas wasn't anything to rave about either. I won't be coming back, it was a waste of my time and money.

Front Page Jamaican

Grille

7/24/2018
I asked for extra curry sauce for my curry goat. I didn't get it but after eating the watered down curry goat I'm glad I didn't get the extra I wanted. Having parents from the islands I know I can find a better Caribbean spot. This food had no flavor at all.

5/22/2018
I've tried this place twice now. I was not impressed the first time... but decided to give it a second chance. I recently was there and ordered a patty and reggae wings. The flavor of the patty was good but it tasted like it was warmed up in a microwave not the oven or a crisper. The pastry was mushy oily and not what it's supposed to be like. Anyone that know anything about Jamaican patties is that they are a crisp almost crunchy flaky pastry on the outside with a nice meat on the inside whether curry chicken or beef. Today it was doughy soft not crisp not flaky and the skin of the pastry was stuck to the paper. Couldn't even enjoy it. Even if you put it in the oven the pastry would offer a little flakiness and crispness to the outside. This is just laziness. Plain and simple.

The reggae wings were nothing to write home about. Not memorable. They were "ok". Unfortunately I won't be back. I really did want to support my fellow West Indians but I can't.

Maybe if this place becomes about the integrity of the food I would consider it. If you don't give something your all most people can tell. Sorry.

Two stars given for customer service I guess. Not the food that's for sure.

Pepper’s Jamaican-Belizean
Cuisine

2/9/2019
after hearing others people's opinion of the place I finally tried it and it was a terrible experience. An hour before closing they supposedly didn't have jerk chkn or peas and rice. Cashier overheard me tell another customer it was my first time so they somehow suddenly had jerk and peas & rice they also told another customer they were out so of course a confrontation starts. So I assumed they didn't want to go into the next days inventory and that's why they were telling people they were out so after maybe 30 minutes I receive my chicken (white meat) and white rice which instead of cooking the chicken so tender that the meat falls off the bone they cut the chkn down the middle therefore it's bones are through it and you can't even eat it without picking through it like a fish with bones it was edible but not what I am used to it wasn't spicy my nose was not running and it wasn't saucy nor did it have that rich flavor that i'm accustomed to from Caribbean foods. plantains weren't ripe enough either.

11/24/2018 Updated review
The worst oxtails y'all have the nerve to charge people an arm and a leg for that!
Just stick to Mars you guy

So then why is it called a belizean and Jamaican cuisine??? Please don't be rude show some class and represent you restaurant well

11/20/2018
I just tried peppers for the first time I ordered the jerk chicken meal and I couldn't drink enough water to wash down the dry chicken. The food was not properly seasoned I will definitely not order from here again

The Jerk Spot Jamaican
Restaurant

12/11/2018
Why is it so hard to find authentic tasting Jamaican food in SoCal? My partner and came here tonight. We walked in to see Chris Broussard eating there, and my partner thinks the food must be good if Chris eats there because he has good judgement [in sports, lol]. I giggled and warned him; not everyone knows good Jamaican food, especially when it comes to SoCal.

Now, I am not saying the food taste bad, but we've certainly had better. My biggest complaint is that I opened my soup to find a...

- Scotch-bonnet pepper-FREE,
- Over salted broth, with
- 2-3 tons of carrots.

I ordered a Large Chicken Soup with "nuff food". I received a carrot soup with a side of chicken and food.

"Nuff [Hard] Food" in the culture literally means, LOTS of boiled dumpling, banana, yams, pumpkin, dasheen or extra of whatever "foods" is included. Every Jamaican knows the phrase "Food", especially a cook.

What was included in my Carrot Soup? Again, not one hint of scotch bonnet-pepper + ONE tiny piece of chicken + ONE (soft) dumpling + ONE quarter of A potato!!! For a LARGE Chicken Soup :/?!?!?! Seriously?

Where did they find such disrespectful Jamaicans? I have so many questions. But the primary two are; Was this intentional? If not, what comes in a small chicken soup?

9/24/2018
This place was a let down...always seeing it on my way home, I decided to give it a shot. The chicken and jerk sauce were not connecting. I'm used to jerk chicken being so tender, it literally falls off the bone. This almost gave me a pollo loco vibe. Beans and rice were bland as well. If you want good Jamaican food with large portions, check out Ackee Bamboo in Liemert Park.

nah im good

Tostones are my preferred method, by far

Sweet plantains can be too much after 2. I always end up giving mine away

87128-6767-mx.jpg

Batter fried plantains :pimp:

CRACK

Man just woke up hoping it was close to 9 am or something but still got another 9 hours before a pho restaurant opens

Lee’s Caribbean

Restaurant
1/19/2019
This place is an embarrassment to jamaican cuisine. The rice and peas was dry, the oxtail was dark and oily. Any true Jamaican can tell the difference between good food and fawt. This place is fawt.

Blessed Tropical Jamaican
Cuisine

7/25/2018
I didn't feel #blessed when I came in to find that a 25-item menu had been narrowed to about five dishes that morning (but also my bad, should have called to see if what I wanted was available). Happily, curry goat and oxtails were on the narrow list of things the chef decided to make that day. No patties, which was a bummer. On the upside, I could grab some Chippie's banana chips, which first-, second-, and third-generation Jamaicans will know and appreciate. The reason for the lower rating is that the woman who served my food and happened to be sitting and eating her own meal when I walked in spit bones into her hands before she entered the kitchen to scoop my order into styrofoam containers. I couldn't tell if she washed them after. Does it matter? It was so bad that it was almost glorious. I've never seen that before...not even at my auntie's house. (To be fair, auntie wouldn't stop eating her food to get up and make me the plate of goat and rice and peas I could easily get for myself from the kitchen.) Support family-owned businesses, but also support customers who don't want to see bones being pulled from lips before their food is prepared.

5/14/2018
Went to this place because of the reviews. I was disappointed, the oxtails didn't have a great flavor. They were soft and fell off the bone. The cabbage wasn't cooked or was still hard and the rice and peas wasn't anything to rave about either. I won't be coming back, it was a waste of my time and money.

Front Page Jamaican

Grille

7/24/2018
I asked for extra curry sauce for my curry goat. I didn't get it but after eating the watered down curry goat I'm glad I didn't get the extra I wanted. Having parents from the islands I know I can find a better Caribbean spot. This food had no flavor at all.

5/22/2018
I've tried this place twice now. I was not impressed the first time... but decided to give it a second chance. I recently was there and ordered a patty and reggae wings. The flavor of the patty was good but it tasted like it was warmed up in a microwave not the oven or a crisper. The pastry was mushy oily and not what it's supposed to be like. Anyone that know anything about Jamaican patties is that they are a crisp almost crunchy flaky pastry on the outside with a nice meat on the inside whether curry chicken or beef. Today it was doughy soft not crisp not flaky and the skin of the pastry was stuck to the paper. Couldn't even enjoy it. Even if you put it in the oven the pastry would offer a little flakiness and crispness to the outside. This is just laziness. Plain and simple.

The reggae wings were nothing to write home about. Not memorable. They were "ok". Unfortunately I won't be back. I really did want to support my fellow West Indians but I can't.

Maybe if this place becomes about the integrity of the food I would consider it. If you don't give something your all most people can tell. Sorry.

Two stars given for customer service I guess. Not the food that's for sure.

Pepper’s Jamaican-Belizean
Cuisine

2/9/2019
after hearing others people's opinion of the place I finally tried it and it was a terrible experience. An hour before closing they supposedly didn't have jerk chkn or peas and rice. Cashier overheard me tell another customer it was my first time so they somehow suddenly had jerk and peas & rice they also told another customer they were out so of course a confrontation starts. So I assumed they didn't want to go into the next days inventory and that's why they were telling people they were out so after maybe 30 minutes I receive my chicken (white meat) and white rice which instead of cooking the chicken so tender that the meat falls off the bone they cut the chkn down the middle therefore it's bones are through it and you can't even eat it without picking through it like a fish with bones it was edible but not what I am used to it wasn't spicy my nose was not running and it wasn't saucy nor did it have that rich flavor that i'm accustomed to from Caribbean foods. plantains weren't ripe enough either.

11/24/2018 Updated review
The worst oxtails y'all have the nerve to charge people an arm and a leg for that!
Just stick to Mars you guy

So then why is it called a belizean and Jamaican cuisine??? Please don't be rude show some class and represent you restaurant well

11/20/2018
I just tried peppers for the first time I ordered the jerk chicken meal and I couldn't drink enough water to wash down the dry chicken. The food was not properly seasoned I will definitely not order from here again

The Jerk Spot Jamaican
Restaurant

12/11/2018
Why is it so hard to find authentic tasting Jamaican food in SoCal? My partner and came here tonight. We walked in to see Chris Broussard eating there, and my partner thinks the food must be good if Chris eats there because he has good judgement [in sports, lol]. I giggled and warned him; not everyone knows good Jamaican food, especially when it comes to SoCal.

Now, I am not saying the food taste bad, but we've certainly had better. My biggest complaint is that I opened my soup to find a...

- Scotch-bonnet pepper-FREE,
- Over salted broth, with
- 2-3 tons of carrots.

I ordered a Large Chicken Soup with "nuff food". I received a carrot soup with a side of chicken and food.

"Nuff [Hard] Food" in the culture literally means, LOTS of boiled dumpling, banana, yams, pumpkin, dasheen or extra of whatever "foods" is included. Every Jamaican knows the phrase "Food", especially a cook.

What was included in my Carrot Soup? Again, not one hint of scotch bonnet-pepper + ONE tiny piece of chicken + ONE (soft) dumpling + ONE quarter of A potato!!! For a LARGE Chicken Soup :/?!?!?! Seriously?

Where did they find such disrespectful Jamaicans? I have so many questions. But the primary two are; Was this intentional? If not, what comes in a small chicken soup?

9/24/2018
This place was a let down...always seeing it on my way home, I decided to give it a shot. The chicken and jerk sauce were not connecting. I'm used to jerk chicken being so tender, it literally falls off the bone. This almost gave me a pollo loco vibe. Beans and rice were bland as well. If you want good Jamaican food with large portions, check out Ackee Bamboo in Liemert Park.

nah im good
Sounds like the West coast is trash when it comes to good west indian food.

Last edited:
As a member of Team PLATANO im so glad platano slander wasnt allowed. It may not be in everyone's sig, that wave has come and gone, but we're still deep in here.

Naughty, you have an underdeveloped palette. Saying your household needs to cook two distinct dinners when Filipino food is in the mix was all the proof I need.

Back
Top Bottom