FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

E928A3B8-EB2B-483A-8167-D48BE77F0464.jpeg

8DF4E12D-F176-40E0-8BDA-8BBBD86D752C.jpeg
4E4B1BD2-170F-44C0-A880-40A7D8B6EA56.jpeg

for y'all and cuz half was plenty for breakfast
breakfast burrito w/ spicy chorizo, egg, potatoes, beans, cheese, cilantro
potatoes were crunchy and flavorful. really set it off

Anyone ever been to Morton's Steakhouse? Girlfriend's parents are taking us out there this Saturday. I'll take any recommendations that come my way.
Follow up: we went last night.

Service was good. No complaints there.
Got an old fashioned that was better than I expected.
For appetizers we got shrimp cocktail and meatballs.
Shrimp were huge, but you only got 3 in an order so we ended up getting 2 orders.
Good, but maybe not worth the price.
Meatballs were okay, but they tasted pretty heavily of green bell pepper, which isn't something I look for in a meatball.
Not something I'd order again.
For dinner we got 2 porterhouses. Her parents got theirs medium-well and we wanted medium-rare, but they insisted that we don't get ours cooked less than medium because "it always comes out rarer than what you wanted"
Wasn't about to die on that hill. Medium it is, I guess.
Steak was fine, but they definitely switched steaks and her parents got the medium steak and we were stuck with the medium-well.
She said something, but her parents denied that the steaks were switched up and didn't wanna make the swap halfway through.
We definitely ate the medium-well steak, but again, not the hill I was about to die on.
Got truffle butter for the steaks though. That was amazing.
For sides we got creamed spinach, sauteed mushrooms, and horseradish mashed potatoes.
All of the sides were very good, but I've had better creamed spinach. The mushrooms were the sleeper hit of the meal. Those were so good.
Horseradish mashed potatoes were good, but her dad wasn't feeing them so he got an order of truffle parmesan fries for the table.
They were shoestring cut, which isn't my favorite, but they were great dipped in the melted truffle butter.
For dessert we got creme brulee, key lime pie, and cheesecake. All good, but I'm not big on sweets so I took a few bites off each and kept it moving.
All in all a decent experience.

Last edited:
Im trying to bake these pork ribs for dinner but the internet is giving me conflicting times and temps.

Do they cook different from beef ribs?

Can I do 275 for 3 hours?

Also saw 250 for 4 hours.

I'm seeing 300 for 3 hrs and 250 for 3 so I'm guessing I should just split the difference.

Im trying to bake these pork ribs for dinner but the internet is giving me conflicting times and temps.

Do they cook different from beef ribs?

Can I do 275 for 3 hours?

Also saw 250 for 4 hours.

I'm seeing 300 for 3 hrs and 250 for 3 so I'm guessing I should just split the difference.
Yeah they're gonna cook differently. Beef ribs are larger and need more time. Takes about 3-5 hours to smoke a rack of pork ribs, but beef ribs can take up to 12 hours at the same temp to get them right.

You're baking them?

Yes.

Not a rack, just rib strips from the deli.
20200209_140901.jpg
I feel like oven-baking individual ribs is most likely gonna result in a dry, tough end-product considering your alternatives
Honestly
What you COULD do
And would probably provide the best flavor and texture
Would be to braise them in a dutch oven or any other heavy-bottomed pot
Sear the ribs off
Add other spices/aromatics
Make a braising liquid with a BBQ sauce theme and bring it to a boil, then immediately bring to a simmer
Let that cook until the meat almost fall off the bone and reduce the sauce down to a thicker consistency
Flourish

I feel like oven-baking individual ribs is most likely gonna result in a dry, tough end-product considering your alternatives
Honestly
What you COULD do
And would probably provide the best flavor and texture
Would be to braise them in a dutch oven or any other heavy-bottomed pot
Sear the ribs off
Add other spices/aromatics
Make a braising liquid with a BBQ sauce theme and bring it to a boil, then immediately bring to a simmer
Let that cook until the meat almost fall off the bone and reduce the sauce down to a thicker consistency
Flourish

Just pulled them out. I covered them in a deeper tray to keep the moisture in.

Fall off the bone moist.

Wow this is good.

20200209_180614.jpg

We have Buford Highway that is basically evey Asian and Latino authentic cuisine you can imagine. Over 1000 businesses 6 miles stretch but Gwinnett County as a whole is a immigration melting pot.

This is a Chinese eatery food court that is called Chinatown. :lol:

We have Buford Highway that is basically evey Asian and Latino authentic cuisine you can imagine. Over 1000 businesses 6 miles stretch but Gwinnett County as a whole is a immigration melting pot.

This is a Chinese eatery food court that is called Chinatown. :lol:

This is also stretches to Duluth right? I had some really good korean fried chicken there. Choong Man chicken

Back
Top Bottom