FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Fried tuna steaks

Fried tuna steak with caramelized onions. Can't really see the onions because it's dark but it set it off!

Decided to make lasgna with garlic bread with mom dukes.
Lasgna had a lot of ingredients maybe too much. But banging nonetheless. Sauce had bacon diced onions minced garlic red wine salt pepper oregano and basil at the tail end. Chicken breast was cooked litely with onions oregano green/ red peppers then shredded. At the end topped off with fresh mozarrella and pepperoni.
Enough yapping.

Is carne asada fries a cali thing? Im from houston. Are there any spots yall can recommend?

Last edited:
Eh I'm from SF and even I think SD has the Carne asada fries, taquitos and Cali burritos on lock.

The bay has good @*^ burritos (farolitos, etc.) but it's a different flavor from down south by the border

You say that like Texas doesn't border Mexico :lol: It's a Cali thing. That's why a California burrito is named the way it is

I ain't seen nobody from Texas post carne asada fries. There are taco shops in LA that don't even know what carne asada fries are.

You say that like Texas doesn't border Mexico :lol: It's a Cali thing. That's why a California burrito is named the way it is

I ain't seen nobody from Texas post carne asada fries. There are taco shops in LA that don't even know what carne asada fries are.

Wasn't saying that they have carne asada fries in Texas. Was pointing out how you were saying the reason carne asada fries are a SD thing is because there's authentic Mexican food here, even though it's far from "authentic" Mexican.

Anyone have any tips for fried rice? I've tried this recipe.. :

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/fried-rice-recipe/

And it worked out OK, but not quite there. The Thai spot around my way doesn't even use cold rice and it's still much better than my product.

what's the problem with your fried rice?

I usually do a little oil, enough to coat the rice you're putting in, and then heat it up in the pan. I throw my rice in, hot/cold doesn't matter to me, I'll even take some straight from the rice cooker. The important thing for me when I do that is to make sure it's not all clumped up together. Then soy sauce and whatever else I'm putting in.

the one I usually make is garlic fried rice, a staple in Filipino foods and not just for breakfast.
oil in the pan, throw some chopped garlic in there til it browns and turns crispy then take out the garlic pieces. Throw my rice in the pan with the same oil from browning the garlic, then a little soy sauce and fish sauce and then throw the browned garlic pieces on top as a garnish. If I want it more garlicky without using too much chopped garlic I just add some garlic powder.

Back
Top Bottom