Fooooood Vol. Change in packaging or change in prices?

I was talking about this in Marketing class....Companies have started to decrease package sizes on their products while keeping prices the same or even raising them.

As a consumer, would you rather see companies decrease package size and keep the price the same, or keep the package size the same and increase prices? What would keep you from buying that specific item again?
Thoughts? Opinions?
This is an important topic seeing that food is a necessity.... and for all you
pimp.gif
...those munchies
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Here is an article of the different products that have made changes...

http://www.dailyfinance.c...Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C55098

I was talking about this in Marketing class....Companies have started to decrease package sizes on their products while keeping prices the same or even raising them.

As a consumer, would you rather see companies decrease package size and keep the price the same, or keep the package size the same and increase prices? What would keep you from buying that specific item again?
Thoughts? Opinions?
This is an important topic seeing that food is a necessity.... and for all you
pimp.gif
...those munchies
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Here is an article of the different products that have made changes...

http://www.dailyfinance.c...Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk1%7C55098

American portions are notorious for being too big to begin with. We need smaller eyes and the stomachs will follow. Decrease size and keep prices the same (though ideally prices should lower also but thats not what you're asking right?)

American portions are notorious for being too big to begin with. We need smaller eyes and the stomachs will follow. Decrease size and keep prices the same (though ideally prices should lower also but thats not what you're asking right?)

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

yea, America needs to stop being fat..

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

yea, America needs to stop being fat..

its not america needs to stop being fat you idiots.

jesus christ.

this is a literal conspiracy.

they are slowly decreasing the sizes by tenths of oz and single grams.

and keeping the same prices.

just a single Cheerio removed from every box boosts General Mills profit on ONLY that cereal by over 4 million dollars a year.

General mills makes over 100 cereals.

Coca Cola has constantly been lowering the content of soda in their plastic bottles. cans are a bit harder to do, but they have been adding more air to the bottles to make the weight right.
and they reshaped the bottles so they all seem "so full of soda" compared to when they had 3 inches of air at the top.

imagine how much extra money they get?

cause all this stuff continues to increase in price.

jesus christ.

just a single Cheerio removed from every box boosts General Mills profit on ONLY that cereal by over 4 million dollars a year.

Coca Cola has constantly been lowering the content of soda in their plastic bottles. cans are a bit harder to do, but they have been adding more air to the bottles to make the weight right.
and they reshaped the bottles so they all seem "so full of soda" compared to when they had 3 inches of air at the top.

Originally Posted by likethematrix

jesus christ.

are you fat?
i know what youre talking about, but..

i couldnt care less how much a package of tiny Snickers cost.

jesus christ.

are you fat?
i know what youre talking about, but..

i couldnt care less how much a package of tiny Snickers cost.

jesus christ.

Thats not a conspiracy though...its no secret that companies cut corners to increase profits. The fact is Americans in general are used to excess, even the poorer residents. If you look at American portions compared to other developed nations, let alone developing countries, the difference is ridiculous. All "conspiracies" aside, you have to agree that smaller portions certainly won't harm people. The economics are a whole different issue.

jesus christ.

Thats not a conspiracy though...its no secret that companies cut corners to increase profits. The fact is Americans in general are used to excess, even the poorer residents. If you look at American portions compared to other developed nations, let alone developing countries, the difference is ridiculous. All "conspiracies" aside, you have to agree that smaller portions certainly won't harm people. The economics are a whole different issue.

Depends on the product. If it's something that has a shorter shelf life then small size same price. But it's not going to cut back on portion sizes. If someone uses half a cup of PB for their sammich, they're going to use half a cup regardless if the package is smaller or not. They'll just have to buy PB more frequently.

^ you could care less? its YOUR money...

lets take a quick example...

Tropicana Orange Juice 64oz has decreased to 59oz...8% decrease may not look or sound a lot...but it is..

lets say a 64 oz OJ costs you $3.00 (using a round # for the example)
But now you get 59oz for $3.00

lets say you buy 2 64oz containers a month...which is $6 (+ tax)
so instead of getting the 12:nerd:z (2 64oz containers), you get 11:nerd:z (2 59oz containers)...thats 1.25 less servings (:nerd:z= 1 serving)....so for every 2 containers, you lose 10oz, which means for every 12 containers, you lose 60oz, so about 1 whole container...you're paying for 13 containers but only getting 12 now

regardless of the product, and the price, either where you are paying MORE for LESS...WE are the CONSUMERS, and are telling companies "its OK" for them to do what they do if we keep on buying their products

edit: for the America is fat argument..t.hat has NOTHING to do with this....even if companies shrunk packaging because America is fat, why aren't prices going down? I know its a business, but come on....profits will be made regardless... greed FTL

^ you could care less? its YOUR money...

lets take a quick example...

Tropicana Orange Juice 64oz has decreased to 59oz...8% decrease may not look or sound a lot...but it is..

lets say a 64 oz OJ costs you $3.00 (using a round # for the example)
But now you get 59oz for $3.00

lets say you buy 2 64oz containers a month...which is $6 (+ tax)
so instead of getting the 12:nerd:z (2 64oz containers), you get 11:nerd:z (2 59oz containers)...thats 1.25 less servings (:nerd:z= 1 serving)....so for every 2 containers, you lose 10oz, which means for every 12 containers, you lose 60oz, so about 1 whole container...you're paying for 13 containers but only getting 12 now

regardless of the product, and the price, either where you are paying MORE for LESS...WE are the CONSUMERS, and are telling companies "its OK" for them to do what they do if we keep on buying their products

edit: for the America is fat argument..t.hat has NOTHING to do with this....even if companies shrunk packaging because America is fat, why aren't prices going down? I know its a business, but come on....profits will be made regardless... greed FTL

Depends on the product. If it's something that has a shorter shelf life then small size same price. But it's not going to cut back on portion sizes. If someone uses half a cup of PB for their sammich, they're going to use half a cup regardless if the package is smaller or not. They'll just have to buy PB more frequently.

Originally Posted by UPandCOMING32

you're still buying them though.. what is your point? to mope around about it? 

Originally Posted by UPandCOMING32

you're still buying them though.. what is your point? to mope around about it? 

as my og post stated...food is a necessity...in the article i provided, i think i can name 2 products that i buy off that list: OJ and ketchup...and who doesnt? same for water.... bottles are geting small and lighter (that goping green BS) and prices go up...water is a necessity,of course people will still buy...but these companies just get more hungry for profit

but the point of my post was to ask the question: as a consumer, what would YOU rather have (if you had to choose 1of teh 2): 1) smaller package/quantity and SAME price or 2) og package/quantity and INCREASE in price?

as my og post stated...food is a necessity...in the article i provided, i think i can name 2 products that i buy off that list: OJ and ketchup...and who doesnt? same for water.... bottles are geting small and lighter (that goping green BS) and prices go up...water is a necessity,of course people will still buy...but these companies just get more hungry for profit

but the point of my post was to ask the question: as a consumer, what would YOU rather have (if you had to choose 1of teh 2): 1) smaller package/quantity and SAME price or 2) og package/quantity and INCREASE in price?

proper english is an idiot, Its not about being fat its about paying more for less during a recession.
stop being a troll.
Spoiler [+]
5'9 140lbs

Back
Top Bottom