For my NYers...

You think you don’t. I thought the same until I went cross country.

Even now I think I sound “neutral” until I go somewhere else I hear how different they talk and know I must sound different.

Not for me, been confirmed by speaking to people from all over the country and even outside the country. Aside NY slang obviously, no accent. Nobody can guess where I'm from.

Not for me, been confirmed by speaking to people from all over the country and even outside the country. Aside NY slang obviously, no accent. Nobody can guess where I'm from.
Still doesn’t mean you don’t have an accent

Go to Jamaica and I bet they can tell you’re American :lol:

anybody who says y'all probably has cowboy boots and drive a ford f 150
You're pronouncing it wrong in ya head or going off that time you heard some southern cowboy say it like that

There's a difference between:

Yall ****** are buggin

And

What's going on y'all?

I know somebody like this. He talks normal until somebody from NY comes around then he turns up the accent :lol:
I don't know why NY ain't even hot anymore. South runs everything. Dudes still holding on to those timbs. Sad really.

Dudes that have more than 6 Yankee fitteds on rotation are guaranteeeeed to have at least one pair of crisp Mid Uptowns....lol

Always lived in NY, don’t think I have an accent but I travel down south their accents are heavy so the way I talk will be different from them.

Whenever I google or YT a NY accent its that like that Log Island/Italian mobster type accent.

“What are ya TAWKING about.”

I dont talk like that. :lol:

Why would you fake a NY accent for years? I know a person who has not lived in NY or even the east coast for years but still has a very strong accent. Reason? Can this person be trusted?

This depends on the age he left, if dude was 13 then he should have yall accent. After that dude is a southern *****

I routinely have to tell people that no matter how much they pay I cant change their accent

:rofl: at being from NY & not notching the accent it's a few types depending on location of course men and woman got it

Out of state people do exaggerate tho how some NY accents sound like it's all mid 90's lingo :lol:

Do you people comment on it when you travel? I used to get roasted all the time. John Howard has one of the worst ones I know of around here.

People suspect I’m from the east coast but not specifically from Boston

Side note: my friend went to HS with someone who claims he beat up John Howard, while he was in HS and John was an adult :emoji_thinking:

ive seen dudes in the military get beat down trying to claim some borough he wasnt really from

like they was straight up quizzing cats.
asking them about something on whatever corner of whatever borough.

if dude got to stuttering?
straight hands.

my roommate...

NY everything in the room
accent
whole 9

dude moved from NY to Florida when he was THREE

he grew up in some retirement community outside of Orlando or Miami
When I was in school in ATL, ppl that had fam from up north or were born n moved to GA at an early age still claimed being from a city up north as their hometown :lol: ...met a chick who moved from DC to ATL when she was like 5 n ain’t been back since telling me she was from there, lil weird accent n all :smh:

Accent going away? It doesn’t there will always be some sort of remanente of it. I have an accent in my English from my first language when I pronounce certain words at certain times. I moved here at 7 and have been here for what 25 years now this August.

My teachers said straight out that their goal is for them to teach us not to have a NY accent because it’s associated with more of the uneducated part of the residents in NY. I still pronounce the words a certain way that makes it automatically click that I grew up in NY, especially when someone pisses me off. But as a whole I don’t sound like the NYer people expect when they are from out of town.

So bottom line is the fact the individual has it doesn’t shock me. If he/she was raised in NY you best believe that they will have it for the rest of their lives to some degree.

Dudes that have more than 6 Yankee fitteds on rotation are guaranteeeeed to have at least one pair of crisp Mid Uptowns....lol
going on a trip next week, stopped by my mom's crib to pick up a jersey , found a ds pair of hi's I bought last summer but forgot about...lol...

Back
Top Bottom