For somebody who has not been to Cali yet, first city to visit?

the good thing that comes from traffic is seeing weird cats doing things in their car thinking they're invisible 
laugh.gif

I live in LA but I recommend SF first. I know LA has a bunch of stuff to do but I feel like SF would be more interesting to someone in CA for their first time.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere but LA but I don't consider a must see travel destination. But as a place to live :pimp:

SF!!! You need at least a few days here for your standard tourist attractions:

1) Pier 39 - Fisherman's Wharf - Ferry Building
2) Alcatraz Island
3) Golden Gate Park (de Young, Academy of Science, Stow Lake, Japanese Tea Garden)
4) Haight & Ash
5) Mission District
5) Union Square
6) SoMA area
7) Chinatown/Little Italy
8) Twin Peak's
9) Broadway - Bars + Strip Clubs

After that, I'd spend 3 more days elsewhere in the Bay:

1) Napa
2) Santa Cruz
3) East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland/Alameda)

Pretty much all this right here. Go thru all 3 bridges while lighting up and appreciate the architectures! The asian cuisines out there are amazing. Filipino/Thai restaurants are abundant. House of prime rib is my spot! Go down to San Jo for that Viet food bruh!

SF is arguably the best city in the world.

boston is not called the hub of the universe for no reason.

SF tho. been to cali once. sf was doooooope. and i wasnt even drinking age at the time. its so relaxed and beautiful. just not ur stereotypical cali beautiful (beaches, palms etc)

take pics andnpost tho

boston is not called the hub of the universe for no reason.

SF tho. been to cali once. sf was doooooope. and i wasnt even drinking age at the time. its so relaxed and beautiful. just not ur stereotypical cali beautiful (beaches, palms etc)

take pics andnpost tho

the only reason its called that is because some dude who nobody on this board knows decided to call it that, and nobody outside of boston in the entire UNIVERSE refers to it as that.

sorry but i just found it funny that you pulled that extremely gay and outdated sounding nickname as your card to try convincing people of boston's "greatness" :lol:

huntingdon beach or costa mesa for me

the bigger cities are expensive and full of toolbags like all major cities...

your going to california. you dont wanna be surrounded by concrete

These SoCal cats got a lot of salt for NorCal. Anyway, I'm gonna say SF. Easier to get around, plenty of things to do. Having lived in both SF and the OC (frequented LA and SD) I would say NorCal cats are a lot more laid back and don't care much. Easier to talk to, friendlier, and more likely to help out a tourist. LA and SD have horrible transportation options, and LA seems to be full of stuck up people. Everyone pretty much dresses up to do absolutely nothing, might be intimidating to ask for directions and recommendations. However, if you have a car, I would say LA because there are so many places to go outside of the city, such as Disneyland, Knotts, Six Flags, etc. Beaches are a lot nicer down in SoCal. If you don't have a car, or would like to stay in the city, definitely SF. Bring a jacket though, for sure.

And if you like burritos, I'm going with SF Mission district on this one. I mean, their burritos have their own Wikipedia page! :nthat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

And those bashing SF just because of the gay community are ridiculous. Ain't like they bout to do something to you.. :smh: :rolleyes

BTW, if you chief, SF has got that top shelf fire. SoCal, dried up oregano.

Last edited:
These SoCal cats got a lot of salt for NorCal. Anyway, I'm gonna say SF. Easier to get around, plenty of things to do. Having lived in both SF and the OC (frequented LA and SD) I would say NorCal cats are a lot more laid back and don't care much. Easier to talk to, friendlier, and more likely to help out a tourist. LA and SD have horrible transportation options, and LA seems to be full of stuck up people. Everyone pretty much dresses up to do absolutely nothing, might be intimidating to ask for directions and recommendations. However, if you have a car, I would say LA because there are so many places to go outside of the city, such as Disneyland, Knotts, Six Flags, etc. Beaches are a lot nicer down in SoCal. If you don't have a car, or would like to stay in the city, definitely SF. Bring a jacket though, for sure.

And if you like burritos, I'm going with SF Mission district on this one. I mean, their burritos have their own Wikipedia page! :nthat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_burrito

And those bashing SF just because of the gay community are ridiculous. Ain't like they bout to do something to you.. :smh: :rolleyes

^^^^ In the same boat. Born and raised in Northern California, been living in Southern Cali. since '04. I agree with almost everything you are saying other than the Mexican food in So Cal can't be touched - it's much better. :smokin

Last edited:
^^^^ In the same boat. Born and raised in Northern California, been living in Southern Cali. since '04. I agree with almost everything you are saying other than the Mexican food in So Cal can't be touched - it's much better. :smokin

I agree with that the Mexican food in general is a lot better in SoCal, but the burritos, only burritos, I like in SF. The rice makes all the difference I think

I live in LA but I recommend SF first. I know LA has a bunch of stuff to do but I feel like SF would be more interesting to someone in CA for their first time.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere but LA but I don't consider a must see travel destination. But as a place to live
pimp.gif
Are you originally Swiss? If so, Grüezi

Last edited:
If you drive, why not get a rental ...SF to L.A is about 5.5hr - 8hr via. highway 5. While down around SoCal you can hit up S.D and Vegas ...thats only if you have time to burn....I got folks from NYC who comes out to Cali alot and they usual just cop a rental and they love it. The best way to know the city is to wander around anyway IMO.

Who the **** calls Boston that?

only boston heads... :lol:

Hub of the Universe
Boston's claim to fame as “The Hub of the Universe” was the work of none other than Oliver Wendall Holmes. In 1858, Holmes referred to the Massachusetts State House Building as the “Hub of the Solar System”. Bostonians liked the sound of that so the nickname, with minor modifications, stuck. When the now defunct Filenes built their flagship store at the corner of Washington and Summer Streets, a fancy bronze marker was installed to forever give credence to the name.

:rofl:

If you drive, why not get a rental ...SF to L.A is about 5.5hr - 8hr via. highway 5. While down around SoCal you can hit up S.D and Vegas ...thats only if you have time to burn....I got folks from NYC who comes out to Cali alot and they usual just cop a rental and they love it. The best way to know the city is to wander around anyway IMO.

Take 1 instead. Much more scenic, but longer.

Last edited:

Helllll no, lol. The PCH will take someone literally a whole day to drive through. It would be better to take the 101, which gives you a good scenic route of beaches and oceans as well as going through some nice towns.

I was just going to say this. It may take forever to drive but scenic routes >>>>>>>>> any other route. If OP is willing to make the drive longer, it will deeeeefinitely not disappoint. How often will you see the pacific ocean if you're from the east, anyway? :D The views are breathtaking. Be sure to stop by Monterey, also.

I'm bout to go to sf for spring break march 15 .. 5 ful days wat r must do things bsides. Alcatraz, pier 39 .fisherman's wharf . Union square shopping. . N limbard street on my phone so typing sucks.. I am from sd n this is my. First time in this part of norcal .. wats the weather gonna b like so I know wat to pack .. n best way to get from airport ro union square area around 11pm at night

I'm bout to go to sf for spring break march 15 .. 5 ful days wat r must do things bsides. Alcatraz, pier 39 .fisherman's wharf . Union square shopping. . N limbard street on my phone so typing sucks.. I am from sd n this is my. First time in this part of norcal .. wats the weather gonna b like so I know wat to pack .. n best way to get from airport ro union square area around 11pm at night

Always pack warm in SF. The weather is pretty unpredictable and can be hot one minute to freezing cold the next. Rule of thumb is usually to bring a jacket around with you, that way you can wear when its cold, or just carry around when its hot. Depending on what you want to do, some parts of the Mission district is pretty fun if you just want to bar hop and what not. Might want to hit up the Haight if you're into shoes, and just want to see a different culture all together. Many tourists like Chinatown, it's the biggest one in America I believe. But be ready for rude people pushing, shoving, screaming, spitting, smoking, everything. Again, its nice if you want to see a different side of the city.

By far the best way to get from the airport to Union Square, given cab rides are out of the question, is the Bart.

Going to San Francisco at the end of the month for 4 days (arrive Thursday, leave Sunday )
Do you think this is enough time to check out and enjoy the city?
Also I heard public transportation is pretty good so I'm leaning towards not getting a rental. If I don't, what is the most accessible area of the city to stay in to see the attractions you guys mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom