For the 1st Time Ever, a Majority of the Unemployed Have Attended College vol. its tough outchea

Originally Posted by rashi

Originally Posted by solarius49

Damn shame that kids were led on to believe that there was a market for the job they thought was going to be there just because they had a piece of paper.

I know more people that are successful and better job security WITHOUT a 4 year college degree than WITH a 4 year college degree.
It depends on what you want to do with yourself, this blanket statement cant apply to everybody.  For example, I didnt finish my degree, but I want to be a teacher.  You dont know any teachers without degrees, or doctors, or engineers ect.   There are plenty of great paying jobs that dont require any college, but even more of them require some sort of education and certification.  Even carpenters and plumbers (who make great money) receive formal training before they can be a part of most unions

Ah ha, see, that's why I put "4 year college degree". I live in South Florida, A/C techs, electricians, plumbers, auto mechanics, and even in the medical field ie ultrasound tech, medical assistant, coding/billing, dental assisting, ect. All of these jobs I just typed, among others, are very high in demand in this area. All of which require 12 months or less of education for certification, these jobs will ALWAYS be in demand. Are they 100k+ jobs? No, but that doesn't matter when your job is secure, and gives you leeway to bolster your credentials if you so choose.
Yeah, I saw that, my bad.  But that doesnt change the fact that you need a degree to be a teacher/doctor/engineer/journalist ect.  I think the problem is that too many people are told that they are SUPPOSED TO go to college, and arent exposed to those labor jobs that pay upwards of 60k a year.  Most high school guidance counselors wont tell you that you can make good money as a plumber or a carpenter

Yeah, I saw that, my bad.  But that doesnt change the fact that you need a degree to be a teacher/doctor/engineer/journalist ect.  I think the problem is that too many people are told that they are SUPPOSED TO go to college, and arent exposed to those labor jobs that pay upwards of 60k a year.  Most high school guidance counselors wont tell you that you can make good money as a plumber or a carpenter

When I was in high school, we all thought that the guidance counselors were getting broken off by the local Community Colleges.
laugh.gif

I think you're a bit silly to say that a degree is worthless.  Rather, it depends on the field you are going into.  But do you know what this all means?  This world is competitive.  When was the last time you heard of people deferring to another person in such a way?  We are all out there trying to make money from one another, out there fighting for a spot on the varsity squad, out there trying to buy a pair. 

There's no such thing as a guarantee in the job market.  Technological advances have replaced a lot of jobs.  Whatever you can think of, we are out there trying to find a better and more efficient way of doing things.

People go to college for the wrong reasons.  They are buying an experience and want to live the American Pie dream.  In reality, it's supposed to be hard work.

I didn't say they were "worthless". If you go and get a Bachelors in Psychology, how do make yourself more competitive? What is this degree going to help you with? Same thing with Criminology, Women's Studies, Political Science? These 4 year degrees are not competitive in any field without more credentials.

When I was in high school, we all thought that the guidance counselors were getting broken off by the local Community Colleges.
laugh.gif

I think you're a bit silly to say that a degree is worthless.  Rather, it depends on the field you are going into.  But do you know what this all means?  This world is competitive.  When was the last time you heard of people deferring to another person in such a way?  We are all out there trying to make money from one another, out there fighting for a spot on the varsity squad, out there trying to buy a pair. 

There's no such thing as a guarantee in the job market.  Technological advances have replaced a lot of jobs.  Whatever you can think of, we are out there trying to find a better and more efficient way of doing things.

People go to college for the wrong reasons.  They are buying an experience and want to live the American Pie dream.  In reality, it's supposed to be hard work.

I didn't say they were "worthless". If you go and get a Bachelors in Psychology, how do make yourself more competitive? What is this degree going to help you with? Same thing with Criminology, Women's Studies, Political Science? These 4 year degrees are not competitive in any field without more credentials.

From a real world stand point, of course!!  Which is why it depends on the field and sector!  In the 'real' world, you'll always need education and credentials.  Especially licensed professionals.  They are there as guidelines for a reason.

But if you wanted to go into Med School, of course something like Criminal Science would be useless.  But you can't say the same for a young cadet trying to strive for a career in FBI.

the first piece of advice i got when i got to PITT was ... a lot of these people that you're gonna meet and be "friends" with won't even be here next semester forget next year ... but you'll come back and be like oh where is so and so ...

My goal was to get in and get out ... doing more than 4 years was not an option ... i didn't get to do study abroad, semester at sea and all that cool stuff ... but i got out w/ honors in a practical major ... i want to go back to school ... i can't afford it

i cosign w/ the post above about the majors that require additional work ... i don't want to say it's a waste but understand that you need to go all the way in certain fields ... do ur hw on these fields of study.... if u can do a dual major ... i can't imagine how tough it is now (grad '05) ... there is nothing that i can tell u that will get u a job tomorrow ... but what I can tell you is to avoid putting urself in hole b4 ur first semester of school ... apply for every scholarship u can get ... my friend got 6 or 7 years of free school from scholarships ... does speech pathology and gets PAID ...

find fields that will reward you for your hard work. Unless u really got ur heart set on something ... start asking people who work in certain fields what it's like ... there is nothing worse (well besides student loan debt) than choosing a major and realizing you hate it ... Some people do 1 class and know they hate it ... some give up to soon ... some wait to long to get out ...

College is the greatest hustle besides bottled water ... 1A and 1B ... good luck to those out there ...

Originally Posted by zapatohead408

man I'm scared, this isn't envcouraging me to go to college at all.
Major in a worthwhile degree, keep your gpa up and do plenty of extracurricular activities so that you can lock down an internship within your field prior to your graduation. Shift your focus from earning a degree to earning an internship. That way either the company that you interned with may hire you full time or if they don't, you still have vital experience that you can put on your resume and you'll have a leg up on those who only earned their degree.

I saw this happening back in '07 when I graduated high school and skipped right on past college. I'm no billionaire by any stretch as it stands but I'm getting there and don't no one own my black @%%.

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Uncle Sams paying for my school, so im good

But alot of these unemployed people are the same ones who are too good to work retail/fast food. Being under employed >>>being unemployed, so if the average %+$%**@ with limited intelligence and social skills can find a job, so can anybody. I dont feel for their problems

Although I agree with you, the UI benefits many people are receiving now are often as good as if not better than working a minimum age job. Why work for $7/hr. when you can sit at home "looking for jobs" and receive $1500-1800/mo? To me, that's another area where the system has failed where someone can either do something or nothing at all and have the same immediate financial benefit.

IMO, if we're going to give UI benefits, we need to mandate some type of service from people unless there is an undue hardship.
if you're pulling down $1800/month on unemployment you had a great job prior to being let go. I agree on your second point. Case in point this graph:

how an employed person spends their day

Time-How-Different-Groups-Spend-Their-Day1.jpg

how an unemployed person spends their day:

UnemployedDays1.jpg

where are the labels on the 1st graph?

The sad part in all this is because of family values and pressures at the time, no one in my family graduated out of a University (I am the first and in retrospect somewhat regret my decision finishing in a semi-prestigious university from a financial standpoint).

Prior to me finishing my studies, I was making good money in the Hospitality industry (even though it was Part Time), en-route to higher Management and I had ZERO DEBT (a phrase I haven't used for sometime now). I always lived a decent life and I've been struggling to find something decent to help me pay off my Loans for several years now.

That's why I'm really banking on acquiring this new position... it's just a faded light of hope at end of the tunnel, that I've been grinding toward to.

As for the argument of value in undergraduate degrees.

Even Medicine (and Engineering) degrees are very hard pressed. Usually from what I've noticed after applying to so many jobs a lot of employees are sticking to get picky, asking nothing below a 3.5 GPA requirements, certain classes fulfilled and pressed for certification (or internship experience immediately). So if you are planning to go to that route, you better throw down your A-Game (pun intended). If anyone needs college or career advice, feel free to ask me stuff and I'll respond the best that I can. It's the least I can do to help out the new generation and hopefully prevent them from making some of the mistakes that I did.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Although I agree with you, the UI benefits many people are receiving now are often as good as if not better than working a minimum age job. Why work for $7/hr. when you can sit at home "looking for jobs" and receive $1500-1800/mo? To me, that's another area where the system has failed where someone can either do something or nothing at all and have the same immediate financial benefit.

IMO, if we're going to give UI benefits, we need to mandate some type of service from people unless there is an undue hardship.
if you're pulling down $1800/month on unemployment you had a great job prior to being let go. I agree on your second point. Case in point this graph:

how an employed person spends their day

Time-How-Different-Groups-Spend-Their-Day1.jpg

how an unemployed person spends their day:

UnemployedDays1.jpg

where are the labels on the 1st graph?
http://www.nytimes.com/in...801-metrics-graphic.html

link to graph

nah it's about the work you do outside of school (internships, volunteer, networking) ....then once everybody starts doing that, you'll have to do more stuff (knee pads)

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

The sad part in all this is because of family values and pressures at the time, no one in my family graduated out of a University (I am the first and in retrospect somewhat regret my decision finishing in a semi-prestigious university from a financial standpoint).

Prior to me finishing my studies, I was making good money in the Hospitality industry (even though it was Part Time), en-route to higher Management and I had ZERO DEBT (a phrase I haven't used for sometime now). I always lived a decent life and I've been struggling to find something decent to help me pay off my Loans for several years now.

That's why I'm really banking on acquiring this new position... it's just a faded light of hope at end of the tunnel, that I've been grinding toward to.

Even Medicine (and Engineering) degrees are very hard pressed. Usually from what I've noticed after applying to so many jobs a lot of employees are sticking to get picky, asking nothing below a 3.5 GPA requirements, certain classes fulfilled and pressed for certification (or internship experience immediately). So if you are planning to go to that route, you better throw down your A-Game (pun intended). If anyone needs college or career advice, feel free to ask me stuff and I'll respond the best that I can. It's the least I can do to help out the new generation and hopefully prevent them from making some of the mistakes that I did.

You can't really call them mistakes because there's no blue print in life, but like you've said, what you can do is share your experience.  For me, I've come to realize that the world has changed A LOT, and there's a couple of things I'll continue to endorse, and hopefully instill in my future kids.  I'd tell others, the same thing I'll tell my kids.

Education is important, but there is no sure way in obtaining success.  A lot of individuals want instant results and instant satisfaction, but that's not the case at all.  In each and every profession, experience requires time and cycle.  We're at a point in society where information is very rampant and jobs that were once abudant are now gone.  Look at the automated services being available.  From self help dvds, to netflix, to self check out, and even robotic driving/surgical procedures.  Technology will continue to advance at the expense of the labor force.

Personally, I'm caught in cross roads between a next step in my career and academic advancement.  I want to obtain a masters, as well as a certification but based on my life and situation now, I would say I should get my certficiation, and then work on my masters later.

Originally Posted by RunningFishy

You can't really call them mistakes because there's no blue print in life, but like you've said, what you can do is share your experience.  For me, I've come to realize that the world has changed A LOT, and there's a couple of things I'll continue to endorse, and hopefully instill in my future kids.  I'd tell others, the same thing I'll tell my kids.

Education is important, but there is no sure way in obtaining success.  A lot of individuals want instant results and instant satisfaction, but that's not the case at all.  In each and every profession, experience requires time and cycle.  We're at a point in society where information is very rampant and jobs that were once abudant are now gone.  Look at the automated services being available.  From self help dvds, to netflix, to self check out, and even robotic driving/surgical procedures.  Technology will continue to advance at the expense of the labor force.

Personally, I'm caught in cross roads between a next step in my career and academic advancement.  I want to obtain a masters, as well as a certification but based on my life and situation now, I would say I should get my certficiation, and then work on my masters later.
rockclap.gif A great example of jobs going out the window is a company like Facebook. It has a market value of over $100 billion with only 3,000 employees. More traditonal companies like Bank of America have similar market values of around $100 billion but they have over 300,000 employees. Technology is a great thing, no doubt, but alot of people are being left by the wayside. Imagine having a job for 20+ tears then it not existing anymore? All you could do is go back school and effectively be back at entry level. This is one of the things that attracted me to being a Navy officer. I wouldn't mind doing by 20-25 years, getting my pension then chucking the dueces to the rat race. 

Feels good to be employed fulltime with an easy desk job, making easy money, posting on NT and not graduated yet.
pimp.gif

I didn't explicitly state it was a mistake, you can have regret but it wouldn't be considered a mistake (I did learn a lot and made the best of my college experience). With that said, I do agree with the points you are given, hell I called it and told my friends back then (even with limited experience of HR/Economy and etc. Back when I was barely graduating out of highschool and I noticed most of the Automated jobs were either "outsourced" or utilizing "newer technology" it was a sign of losing opportunities in entry-level jobs and shrinking the "middle class."

In terms of Education (Salary Class advancement), I  the same way because I'm really tempted into becoming an MBA candidate however without a "professional focus" there's no point in investing so much money and time when I don't know if I'll stay in the same industry. So my current goals are, pay off my current debt, acquire a steady (and hopefully secure salary/ career position that I can utilize into, possibly working towards certs (or advance degrees) that would complement and create career advancement. And, most definitely I wouldn't want to go through this again. Especially at the crossroads of my life between starting a family or creating more future investments for a solid future.

If you dont have a job and want one you're either A. Lazy or B. picky...Theres plenty of jobs, people just think since they graduated college they need 6 figures off break.

I didn't explicitly state it was a mistake, you can have regret but it wouldn't be considered a mistake (I did learn a lot and made the best of my college experience). With that said, I do agree with the points you are given, hell I called it and told my friends back then (even with limited experience of HR/Economy and etc. Back when I was barely graduating out of highschool and I noticed most of the Automated jobs were either "outsourced" or utilizing "newer technology" it was a sign of losing opportunities in entry-level jobs and shrinking the "middle class."

In terms of Education (Salary Class advancement), I  the same way because I'm really tempted into becoming an MBA candidate however without a "professional focus" there's no point in investing so much money and time when I don't know if I'll stay in the same industry. So my current goals are, pay off my current debt, acquire a steady (and hopefully secure salary/ career position that I can utilize into, possibly working towards certs (or advance degrees) that would complement and create career advancement. And, most definitely I wouldn't want to go through this again. Especially at the crossroads of my life between starting a family or creating more future investments for a solid future.

A lot of people laugh, but they don't realize the opportunity costs involved.  This generation has changed big time.  The risks involved w/ marriage, and all that is quite scary.  It ain't what it used to be when people loved and cared for each other.  Now, it's all about money.

I'm a bit disgruntled at my current position, but I don't wanna lose my job or jump ship w/o knowing what I can get.  Quite frankly, I'm in a secured and stable spot.  I have insurance, have a 401K plan, and great manager.  The bad part is that there's not much room to grow.  So right now,  I'm doing all I can to build up that cash reserve and hope to gain more 'meaningful' experience.  People don't realize, but exposure, and being involved in your industry is INVALUABLE.  The extra stuff isn't put on your gross income, but the benefits are yet to come.

Originally Posted by blckmagc88

If you dont have a job and want one you're either A. Lazy or B. picky...Theres plenty of jobs, people just think since they graduated college they need 6 figures off break.

pretty much.  people are too used to instant gratification, and nobody wants to put the work in from the ground up

I don't expect six figures right off the back. I've worked 2-3 P/T positions (minimum wage and underpaid) despite having a degree and some applicable work experience. I was barely making a dent in my student loans after paying for necessary bills (rent, cell phone, car insurance and etc.) It all boils down to what you want to do in life. People who wish (or are going to college) can and should study the fun stuff once in a while but also realize the purpose of their degree in the future. Had I not been over my unit requirement at my university I would have double majored into a more financial background and double minored (with two other things). Graduated and maybe work as an analyst or accountant (having a steady flow of income). I did not have the funds to pay for anymore schooling (pulled out all my savings and had to use loans), so I was forced to graduate regardless.

The point I'm making is everyone has their reasons as to why they are in debt. If I graduating before the "Real Estate Bubble" and especially during the .com boom, it would have been easier accessing a plethora of salary entry level positions, but that's all hypothetical. I'm only focusing as to what I could do now, and that's to acquire either more P/Ts or really nail on the head this prospective position. Good Luck with everyone and again don't let this be a complete deterrent from going to college. If you have questions, feel free to PM me been answering a few here and there to help folks out, peace.

pretty much.  people are too used to instant gratification, and nobody wants to put the work in from the ground up
This.

It's not always that simple man. I know a dude who's student loan payments are almost $2000 a month, just any job won't cut it in that situation (dude has a law degree too). What's the point of starting from the ground up, if the job is in an industry you don't wanna be in in the first place? After a certain amount of time it doesn't matter what you major in, it matters what your experience is so sometimes holding out is the right thing to do.

A lot of people laugh, but they don't realize the opportunity costs involved.  This generation has changed big time.  The risks involved w/ marriage, and all that is quite scary.  It ain't what it used to be when people loved and cared for each other.  Now, it's all about money.

I'm a bit disgruntled at my current position, but I don't wanna lose my job or jump ship w/o knowing what I can get.  Quite frankly, I'm in a secured and stable spot.  I have insurance, have a 401K plan, and great manager.  The bad part is that there's not much room to grow.  So right now,  I'm doing all I can to build up that cash reserve and hope to gain more 'meaningful' experience.  People don't realize, but exposure, and being involved in your industry is INVALUABLE.  The extra stuff isn't put on your gross income, but the benefits are yet to come.
BINGO! You definitely hit the nail on the head. Not everyone isn't about the money, just the cash cow institutions we've come to know and love (college loans orgs charging high interests rates and university seniority boards, raising tuition through the roof and etc.). A degree (bachelor's and higher) are becoming more like a luxury item, streamlined and offered to any and all who wish to attain it, but at a high cost (and no guarantee of satisfaction in the long run).

The other part about being involved in your industry, doesn't apply to solely your interest of field but also ANY JOB YOU WORK FOR. The skills you learn and the programs you utilize (big or small really helps) and especially MANAGERIAL EXPERIENCE (the big bucks of paying off your loan). Go on any job website and any industry who requires supervisors, directors, middle management (and C-level executives). The more of that end, the higher the pay, 401k matching, benefits, perks and so much more. Also with Success (you don't need a high degree or background to attain it). You need to fill a niche in society, what's needed right now that can alleviate debt or make a difference. I have a few possible ideas but they require Venture Capitalists (or just knowing Rich Donors, which I have zero connections to) and I don't want to %#!# up my credit score as much as it already is
laugh.gif

Anyway, if your situation is like that, keep doing what you are doing. I am also planning to get an MBA but a well invested one (as soon as I pay off all my current debt). There are two businesses and two scholarships I wish to develop in the long run to help folks (maybe more charitable stuff if I even ever reach the six figure salary bracket). Good luck to you and everyone else working hard for their dreams.  I hope we all make it so we can look back and enjoy this *#!@ a few years from now.

If you dont have a job and want one you're either A. Lazy or B. picky... Theres plenty of jobs, people just think since they graduated college they need 6 figures off break.

I don't expect six figures right off the back. I've worked 2-3 P/T positions (minimum wage and underpaid) despite having a degree and some applicable work experience. I was barely making a dent in my student loans after paying for necessary bills (rent, cell phone, car insurance and etc.) It all boils down to what you want to do in life. People who wish (or are going to college) can and should study the fun stuff once in a while but also realize the purpose of their degree in the future. Had I not been over my unit requirement at my university I would have double majored into a more financial background and double minored (with two other things). Graduated and maybe work as an analyst or accountant (having a steady flow of income). I did not have the funds to pay for anymore schooling (pulled out all my savings and had to use loans), so I was forced to graduate regardless.

The point I'm making is everyone has their reasons as to why they are in debt. If I graduating before the "Real Estate Bubble" and especially during the .com boom, it would have been easier accessing a plethora of salary entry level positions, but that's all hypothetical. I'm only focusing as to what I could do now, and that's to acquire either more P/Ts or really nail on the head this prospective position. Good Luck with everyone and again don't let this be a complete deterrent from going to college. If you have questions, feel free to PM me been answering a few here and there to help folks out, peace.

It took me literally 1 year after I graduated to find a position.  It was around 2007-2008.  At that time, the real estate bubble was on its last leg.  You can very well bet, I spent a majority of my classes in the real estate dept..  My senior internship was also involved in real estate; in appraisals.

I interviewed for pretty much anything because I needed a 'job'.  I went to hospitatlity, went to insurance companies, and various financial institutions.  I even tried gov't positions.  Ultimately I got in as a JR. Analyst and being in the real world really opened my eyes.  I survived restructuring a few times and here I am an analyst stuck. My manager wants me to strive further, and knows I can do better, but there's nothing available.

One thing I did want to do was go study abroad.  I wanted to go South Korea, or Asia, so I can meet some nice girl. LOL  Aside from that, I feel I am pretty fortunate to be around, but cannot let up because I must continue to strive forward.  I'm at the midst of trying to settle down sort of speak.  Not sure what I want to do in terms of my lifestyle, but I know I always want to be involved in the capital markets.  What's good is, I don't have any major debt, and live within my means.  I finished paying off the car loan, and I'm helping my folks w/ the mortgage.

It's not always that simple man. I know a dude who's student loan payments are almost $2000 a month, just any job won't cut it in that situation (dude has a law degree too). What's the point of starting from the ground up, if the job is in an industry you don't wanna be in in the first place? After a certain amount of time it doesn't matter what you major in, it matters what your experience is so sometimes holding out is the right thing to do.
Because with NO job you arent paying ANY bills

Because with NO job you arent paying ANY bills
I feel you but if you have bills like that you can't afford to get stuck in a dead end job, you've gotta hold out for something that pays at least $50k (even then you're living like a pauper).

Back
Top Bottom