For you Bay Area graffiti heads... PEEP IT TONIGHT!!!

For all you guys in the Bay interested in graff... Piece by Piece is showing a few times over the next week on PBS here in the Bay Area. If you haven't seen it yet here is your chance to catch it. For those of you that have seen it, keep in mind we had to cut out around 20mins of the film for it to fit in the time slot so there are some things missing that are on the DVD. Here is a small write up from the PBS website as well as the show times... If you've never seen it and you check it out, check back and let me know what you though about it...

Also if you guys have friends that might be interested PLEASE let them know because if it has enough viewers they might release it throughout all of California and possibly show it nationally.
wink.gif
Enjoy!!!!

truly-306-248.jpg

Piece by Piece
Piece By Piece documents the history of San Francisco's controversial graffiti art movement, with a fast-paced journey into the world ofSan Francisco street art, as seen through the eye of the artists. Chronicling over 20 years of creation and destruction honestly, accurately, and critically,the film takes you alongside those who lived in what is arguably one of the most influential youth cultures of our time.

San Francisco's graffiti style arose in the period from 1983 to 1993. Piece by Piece starts by documenting what laid the groundwork for today's BayArea graffiti: "Cholo" writing and the impact of PBS's 1983 documentary, Style Wars. The film includes not only San Francisco's graffitioriginals, but also commentary from noted New York "writers" such as Seen, Cope 2, and Case 2. It also covers the tragedy of Dream One, a SanFrancisco graffiti pioneer and a vocal figurehead in Bay Area urban welfare activism.

From 1993 to 2000, San Francisco became an international magnet for ground-breaking graffiti styles yet to be seen in other parts of the world. The filmelaborates on what it takes to establish credibility among the graffiti community, featuring classic works from "writers" such as KR and the horsesof Reminisce; and documenting the creative expression of these and other "writers." The film also features well-known graffiti artists such as Grey,Buter, Joro, Norm, and Barry McGee (Twist).

While graffiti is largely considered an underground movement, it's no secret that this art form has provoked a huge response from everyday citizens. Thefinal segment of Piece by Piece explores the wide range of public opinion towards graffiti by giving a voice to the citizens of San Francisco and the lawenforcement officers who claim to represent their interests. The film also captures the artists' heartfelt confessions of their love of and addiction tograffiti art and typographic lettering, as well as their social activism, and the short life span of their works.

Episode #306 | Duration: 57:01 | Closed Captioned | Stereo | TVG

KQED Channel 9
Sun, Feb 10, 2008 -- 6:00 pm
Tue, Feb 12, 2008 -- 11:00 pm
Wed, Feb 13, 2008 -- 3:00 am

KQED Life-Encore
Wed, Feb 13, 2008 -- 2:00 am
Wed, Feb 13, 2008 -- 1:00 pm
Wed, Feb 13, 2008 -- 10:00 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I get channel 9 here in Sac so I will look out for it on Sunday.

Dope DVD. Reminds me of the good ol' days when people had style. I'll watch it either way.

to any of the heads that want to dvr it, its under the title "Truly California", not under piece by peice

^^^ good call, i forgot to mention that... Thanks for bringing that up!!! Like I said to all of you that have already seen it, we had to cut out almost 20 minsof the film for the air time. I haven't seen the cut that's gonna play yet so I'm kinda curious myself what was taken out... Either way I hope youguys enjoy it!!!!

nice ED! i heard about this the other day was thinking i should make a post. you get your stabs?

Originally Posted by metalmaned

^^^ Thanks... Wait til we finish the documentary on IZ The Wiz... =)
I always wondered what's up with his forearm, any insight on that?

I'm not in the Bay at the moment but I want to check this. How can I get my hands on the DVD or watch it online if possible? I'm an old PEMAC head.

Originally Posted by MaZA4eVeR14

Originally Posted by metalmaned

^^^ Thanks... Wait til we finish the documentary on IZ The Wiz... =)
I always wondered what's up with his forearm, any insight on that?

It's from him having to go through dialysis 3 times a week from his kidney failure...

If you guys missed the showing on Sunday.. The film will be playing again tonight on PBS at 11pm and then again at 3am... Just givin ya the heads up...Enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom