Fraternity Social Expenses

So I've been put in charge of maintaining my frat's finances and I was looking over the budget and wondered how it compared to other frats on campus. Igo to a fairly large state school and we're a very new chapter so we currently have only fifty guys in our chapter. Our yearly budget is $140,000 meaning(obviously) 70K per semester. Our budget will obviously increase as we get more guys to join. I'm just curious because we don't really have anybodyelse to look up to:

-How much of a frat's (percentages if possible) budget goes to social events (parties, mixers, date parties, trips, etc)?
-What's the annual budget of a relatively good fraternity? Include number of men per chapter, please.
-What else do we allocate our funds toward?

Thanks guys. I really need some help with this your advice is definitely appreciated.

Why don't you just bump the thread you made a couple weeks ago about the same topic?

smh.gif
calling it a frat.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Why don't you just bump the thread you made a couple weeks ago about the same topic?

smh.gif
calling it a frat.

People on other boards get mad about people bumping old threads so I figured I'd just repackage the other.

"calling it a frat." Don't tell me you're one of those dudes. Lighten up.
laugh.gif

Never thought payin %+@+*% to be my friend and beat the $#+% out of me was the thing to do.

Originally Posted by alaradios

smh.gif
calling it a frat.

People on other boards get mad about people bumping old threads so I figured I'd just repackage the other.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm not of them but I'm not impressed by theGreek system here. Populated by a lot of tools who refer to it as that.

Never thought payin %+@+*% to be my friend and beat the $#+% out of me was the thing to do.

Here we go again. You can separate the losers from the people who really want to do it.

smh.gif
calling it a frat.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm not of them but I'm not impressed by the Greek system here. Populated by a lot of tools who refer to it as that.

Here we go again. You can separate the losers from the people who really want to do it.

What percentage of your budget are you guys spending on social events? How much are you guys getting per semester?

Originally Posted by d0njaye

140k over 50 actives..how much do you pay for dues?
If you're living in, you pay about 8500 over two semesters. It's supposedly a little more expensive than normal because of the threemillion in renovations they've done since 2003, plus the house is in the best location on campus/pretty dope interior.

Mind answering my questions? Don't mean to be a @%#+!@%, it just seems like nobody really answers.
laugh.gif

no dis to people that wanna do it. got friends in frats. I just never understood it. Half of the frats I know front like their brothers tho andend up $+$*@@ their "brothers" girl

wow thats hella money in dues...we stay broke..haha..as far as socials goes..we have an active house of about 20 and usually don't fade in more then $20each

and fyi, NT general forum is usually the worst place to post about fraternity anything..

If you're living in, you pay about 8500 over two semesters. It's supposedly a little more expensive than normal because of the three million in renovations they've done since 2003, plus the house is in the best location on campus/pretty dope interior.

Mind answering my questions? Don't mean to be a @%#+!@%, it just seems like nobody really answers.
laugh.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
Might as well stay in the dorms or live off campus if your dues that much.

What percentage of your budget are you guys spending on social events? How much are you guys getting per semester?
I'm not in a fraternity. I pledged Phi Kappa Psi in Spring '08 but quit because I hated people in my pledge class. The greek system iswatered down.

wow thats hella money in dues...we stay broke..haha..as far as socials goes..we have an active house of about 20 and usually don't fade in more then $20 each

and fyi, NT general forum is usually the worst place to post about fraternity anything..

How often do you guys throw parties? How big are they?

Yeah, there's gonna be anti-frat people everywhere you go, but I understand that frats can be pretty lame on certain campuses so everybody's got adifferent connotation of them.

If you're living in, you pay about 8500 over two semesters. It's supposedly a little more expensive than normal because of the three million in renovations they've done since 2003, plus the house is in the best location on campus/pretty dope interior.

laugh.gif

sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
Might as well stay in the dorms or live off campus if your dues that much.

Cheaper than the dorms here, believe it or not. Help me out here though.

Originally Posted by eight2one

I would never be in a frat.....now the parties sometimes are crackin tho!

You don't take full advantage of the parties unless you're actually a brother in the house.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO!

laugh.gif

Other members of the NPHC should understand my amusement.

DF!!!

roll.gif

Your budget is OUTRAGEOUS compared to what we ever have. If we have 10k in the bank, WE ARE BALLIN' OUTTA CONTROL!

To answer your questions:

-How much of a frat's (percentages if possible) budget goes to social events (parties, mixers, date parties, trips, etc)?

I would say about 4% is used for social expenses with the exclusion of semi-formal/formal.

-What's the annual budget of a relatively good fraternity? Include number of men per chapter, please.

We have a very small school so keep that in mind. We have 34 members and usually operate with $5,000 after dues are paid to nationals. This will chance nowthat we are working the Valero Texas Open which brings in $2,000 then $4,000. We pay $350 per member.

A fair share is put into marketing/advertisement. Since we're starting up again here on campus, things like shirts and other merchandise are things thatthe guys want to allocate funds towards.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by dlsilva21

To answer your questions:

I would say about 4% is used for social expenses with the exclusion of semi-formal/formal.

We have a very small school so keep that in mind. We have 34 members and usually operate with $5,000 after dues are paid to nationals. This will chance now that we are working the Valero Texas Open which brings in $2,000 then $4,000. We pay $350 per member.

A fair share is put into marketing/advertisement. Since we're starting up again here on campus, things like shirts and other merchandise are things that the guys want to allocate funds towards.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. Only 4% allocated towards social events? I know one of the middle-tier frats on campus has a $16K social budget/semester with like 100 members. Idon't know what their total budget is. With a budget of $5000 you guys are only spending $200 a year on social events? Am I missing something or do youguys just not throw parties all that often?

Well, we don't have Greek housing, so keep that in mind.

Greek life takes up the majority of the campus, if you're not Greek it's a rare case. We don't use chapter funds on alcohol, so if a brother ishaving a party, then it's not a SigEp party and I don't appoint any funds to it. Most of our social events that don't have alcohol are usually hookups from alumni or sorority connects. For example, we rented out an entire club for a mixer with Delta Zeta through their connections and we only dropped $100on food and there was a cash bar for 21+.

We just have to be careful what we do because we're actually in the process of rechartering and I have to make sure I get us back in a position to do it assoon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom