Freelancing Help???

It's hard but rewarding.
Everything your employer usually takes care of, you have to do for yourself; taxes (at least to start off you'll do your own, till you can afford an accountant), pension, healthcare...you all have to figure it out yourself.
This is also reflected in your hourly rate so getting started can be bumpy because sometimes people are antsy about paying someone so much money (as they see it) but the better you get, the more people are prepared to pay.
Also you have to be able to maintain relationships with clients and know how to court new ones.
All in all it's a roller coaster; lots of ups and downs and generally no security in the sense of a steady pay check.
And you WILL fall flat on your face a few times.
But once you learn to ride the wave it's great to be able to do what you really love, be able to plan it all out yourself and hopefully make a living out of it.

It's hard but rewarding.
Everything your employer usually takes care of, you have to do for yourself; taxes (at least to start off you'll do your own, till you can afford an accountant), pension, healthcare...you all have to figure it out yourself.
This is also reflected in your hourly rate so getting started can be bumpy because sometimes people are antsy about paying someone so much money (as they see it) but the better you get, the more people are prepared to pay.
Also you have to be able to maintain relationships with clients and know how to court new ones.
All in all it's a roller coaster; lots of ups and downs and generally no security in the sense of a steady pay check.
But once you learn to ride the wave it's great to be able to do what you really love, be able to plan it all out yourself and hopefully make a living out of it.
pretty much agree with all of this. maintaining relationships is one of the most important things for sure. ALWAYS ask for referrals and make sure you get credit for everything (if it applies to your field). word of mouth took me much further than putting any money in marketing/advertising. even after the job is done, check in with your clients regularly. hang out with them just because every once in a while. i know you've prob heard it a million times because it's so cliche, but your network >>>

i got started when twitter first started poppin years ago. got my first clients through twitter and then word of mouth referrals from there. was able to quit my job and have been freelancing full-time for the past 4 years or so.

best feeling about it is waking up whatever time you want and going to work in basketball shorts 
smokin.gif
 worst part is clients flaking on you when you need to make money. especially when you have to tell someone else you're booked and then the other person cancels

pretty much agree with all of this. maintaining relationships is one of the most important things for sure. ALWAYS ask for referrals and make sure you get credit for everything (if it applies to your field). word of mouth took me much further than putting any money in marketing/advertising. even after the job is done, check in with your clients regularly. hang out with them just because every once in a while. i know you've prob heard it a million times because it's so cliche, but your network >>>

i got started when twitter first started poppin years ago. got my first clients through twitter and then word of mouth referrals from there. was able to quit my job and have been freelancing full-time for the past 4 years or so.

best feeling about it is waking up whatever time you want and going to work in basketball shorts :smokin  worst part is clients flaking on you when you need to make money. especially when you have to tell someone else you're booked and then the other person cancels

Yup word of mouth is a great way to get new clients. It means they come to you because they really want your services, so you already have the upper hand ;-)

It's hard but rewarding.

best feeling about it is waking up whatever time you want and going to work in basketball shorts 
smokin.gif
 worst part is clients flaking on you when you need to make money. especially when you have to tell someone else you're booked and then the other person cancels
Thanks guys for the info. I'm really good at writing etc. I always wanted to freelance just never knew how to go about it. Tired of the going to work bid, I rather make money doing what I actually like.

Back
Top Bottom