Friend is rethinking our friendship over for my lack of effort vol. Am i wrong though?

quick answer: i know i'm not.

sup nt, this is my first time ever making a topic in the general thread about anything. i usually don't put my biz out in public but i just wanted some outside opinions. and i understand if there are posts that say tl;dr lol i'm the same way.

about 2 months ago, my friend of nearly 10 years tells me her father's been diagnosed with very stage of terminal cancer. her father is the only parent she has left and i couldn't even imagine how that must've felt because i'm fortunate enough to still have both of mine. at the time her father was still in the hospital and was waiting to be cleared to go home. i checked up on her from time to time via internet since we rarely see each other but still keep in touch every now and then. when her father was cleared to come back home maybe a week later, we kinda lost contact with one another. i had started a new job, was busy on weekends with team practices, and getting myself ready for a week-long trip outside the country with my team. being in a different country altogether, i left my phone at home since roaming charges would've killed me, and i had very limited access to the internet; i was disconnected from the world. it was only on the very last day that i checked my email on my itouch in the morning and got an email from my friend saying her father had passed away.

after an entire week of team bonding and having the time of my life i read those words and everything just turned black and white. i just got the breakfast i ordered and all i could do was put my head in my heads and fight the tears because i didn't want to make a scene in the restaurant. i managed to look at the words again and realized there was more to the email than that. he had passed away 3 weeks prior to the email and there was already a service for him. i was only one of a few friends she had told about her father. my friend added that she was very angry and disappointed in my complete lack of effort in checking in on her and that she's rethinking how good of friends we really are. she was willing to give me the benefit of the doubt but she says she's past that now.

i was messed up the entire day feeling like crap and knowing that i was pretty much bringing everyone else down didn't make me feel any better. i shot her back an email apologizing to her, explaining myself and my situation, and that i wanted to see her to talk to her. after moping around for a few hours, my team managed to pick me back up but the day was already spent. in retrospect, i'm upset at the fact that we could've done just a little bit more on the trip but how we left on that last day left a bad taste in my mouth that i can never get out.

here's my reason for my "lack of effort": besides how busy my life became during the entire last month, i didn't have the heart nor make the time to say something to a friend whose parent only had a short time to live. if either one of my parents only had weeks to live, i would not want to be thinking about counting down the days until. i don't want to be reminded about when my mother or father is going to die, i just want to focus on them living in present. but that's just me.

a week has passed and i'm going to try and meet up with her today. i don't want to end our friendship or her to end it or something stupid like that. but i feel like i wasn't wrong in any of this. okay, maybe i could've been a bit more supportive but she has a phone and a computer too. she could've contacted me if she needed someone to talk to. if i was one of a few friends she told about her father, why did she wait 3 weeks after his passing to tell me he passed away? really? and she's rethinking our friendship? shouldn't i be the one who's angry and disappointed at her for leaving me out of loop with news as big as this? but i'm going to hold my tongue on all of that because we're still friends and i don't want to put another thing on her mind she doesn't have to deal with right now.

if you made it this far, thanks for reading, i appreciate it. so what do you think? and am i wrong?

Just tell her that next time you see her. "I was busy with stuff, sorry about your pop"

then proceed to smash....

The world does not revolve around her it revolves around you. Dont stress that much over it. The whole thing just seems childish from every angle. Im guessing she wanted the attention without asking for it... Except she didnt realize that people have to do %+!% sometimes.

The whole situation seems wack... Just print the OP and read it infront of her.

Your friend just lost the only parent she has and you have a bad taste in your mouth because you didn't get to do a little more on your international tour?

She's in a lot of pain, it must be really hard for her to try to see things from your perspective when something as damaging and permanent as losing a family member happens, especially a father. I think that the best course of action would be to make clear how sorry you are for what happened and stress that you never intended to abandon her, but that you were involved with a lot at the time and you weren't sure how you could help her. Often times what friends are looking for in desperate situations is someone to talk to, or even just to be around and know that they're supported. In doing that, you're providing comfort that words never could.

She's going to be grieving for a long time, and part of that process is rediscovering who she is after a seismic event like losing a father. If she makes the choice of ending your friendship then that is her prerogative. Not because she's the only one who is allowed to have say in your relationship, but because what is happening to her can only be addressed by her; she will do things that she thinks will benefit her, and she'll discover whether it truly does or not.

I would advise you to remain friendly and continue to offer support, and to be prepared for whatever she decides. Sometimes people make the choice of leaving friends because they themselves change. This could be that time for your friend.

Sorry to hear that. She's just angry OP, and that's understandable. Be there for her and y'all will be alright. Just give it some time for her to come around.

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

Your friend just lost the only parent she has and you have a bad taste in your mouth because you didn't get to do a little more on your international tour?

I'm saying...then he comes in here wanting reassurance that he isn't a *$%+*** 
indifferent.gif

just talk to her. shes assuming a little too much right now. im sure if both of you have atleast an ounce of logic it will fix itself.

Definitely hold your tongue, you cannot be mad at her..You aren't wrong, she is just irrational now because she is in a lot of pain. Just be there for her

yea your wrong. Plain and simple.

You had a friend, she confided in you about something serious. Of course you didn't know how things would have played out but you knew she was gonna be in some sort of heartache. You could have kept more in touch with her, and since you couldn't physically be there for the services you could have atleast talked to her on the phone.

Stop making excuses for yourself, you sound like a douche.

Before I entered the thread, I thought to myself that your friend is a girl. Like what kind of dude would trip about lack of effort?

Did not read... I'll read it later... probably

I don't think you did anything wrong, however, I wouldn't bring up anything about being out of the country since it was only a week long trip and her dad had passed away 3 weeks before that email. I have never been in this situation and honestly, I really wouldn't know what to say to someone who was going through with this. Was she expecting you to show up to the funeral and thats why shes mad or just cause you didn't stay in contact on a weekly basis?

Originally Posted by FrankMatthews

At first I completely missed this part of the story cuz I was skimming so I didn't see it. So at first I didn't think you did anything wrong, but after reading that part you're pretty %%!%%+ up and selfish, b.

This just seems like a combination of bad timing and poor communication by both parties.
I wouldn't approach in a defensive manner, say she needs attention and all that, but I also wouldn't
roll over and accept all the blame. Just tell her what you told us and offer a sincere apology in person.
If she can't respect and accept that then at least you tried.

Since this is your first post in general of this nature I'll let you know you should always provide cliff notes of your story and ALWAYS provide pics of any female you mention in your post.

I'll be waiting for your edit or new post with the aforementioned adjustments.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

She's in a lot of pain, it must be really hard for her to try to see things from your perspective when something as damaging and permanent as losing a family member happens, especially a father. I think that the best course of action would be to make clear how sorry you are for what happened and stress that you never intended to abandon her, but that you were involved with a lot at the time and you weren't sure how you could help her. Often times what friends are looking for in desperate situations is someone to talk to, or even just to be around and know that they're supported. In doing that, you're providing comfort that words never could.

She's going to be grieving for a long time, and part of that process is rediscovering who she is after a seismic event like losing a father. If she makes the choice of ending your friendship then that is her prerogative. Not because she's the only one who is allowed to have say in your relationship, but because what is happening to her can only be addressed by her; she will do things that she thinks will benefit her, and she'll discover whether it truly does or not.

I would advise you to remain friendly and continue to offer support, and to be prepared for whatever she decides. Sometimes people make the choice of leaving friends because they themselves change. This could be that time for your friend.
This.

Btw that first reply to your question was the worst response I have read in a long time.

I've been in a similar situation to your friend, I also lost a parent to cancer.  It must be extra difficult for her considering her only remaining parent passed away.  It's understandable for her to be feeling really angry and confused about stuff.  I'm not sure why she would wait 3 weeks to inform you about him passing.  I know it's tough for friends to know what to say in situations like that.  Some people want space and don't want to talk about it.  Some want people to vent and someone to talk to.  She seemed like the latter.  The best thing would be to tell her everything you just wrote and to listen to what she has to say.  There was a lot of miscommunication and I don't think this should end a decade long friendship.

Back
Top Bottom