ftwrk (Richmond, VA)

So i'm walking along Broad Street as i do from time to time during my lunch break, and i notice that plywood board at ftwrk has been fixed. Upon furtherreview i relized that they packed up and closed shop. Anyone know why or was it just the economy?. If this is late, disregard.

I think the competition may be a small factor.

My speculation, because I don't know really, is that the store was just REAL low key like Ltd/Ed on goshen. Very few here on campus even know about eitherone. Henry does a good job of marketing themselves to the public (open door, associates outside chillin, events w/ celebs) which gives people a chance to seewhat they have to offer outside of the sneaker community.

The dude at ftwrk was cool as +%*% though..wish them the best...wonder what they doing with all those clothes...sale? lol

damn. drove passed yesterday and thought it was just closed due to rain lol....

never been to henry. will check em out sat.

I have seen this happen to many "hype" stores past couple of years. From D.C. to S. Carolina. Stores aren't lasting over 2 years.

It's a domino effect.

Not to drop names, but I owe Mr. Yu for his advice. He foresaw the storm years in advance, and gave me a heads up when I was about to jump out there, and thiswas back in 2004. Had business plan approved and loan in pocket, and gave it back on the "I'm Good" Clipse move. Best thing I ever did for meand my fam.

You gotta have a 5 year business plan, then a 10 year goal. LONG TERM. Or, get IN and GET OUT while you're ahead on some hustler thinking. Go in it withpeople that are down, or like me, be a sole-proprietor (no more than a 3 person partnership).

You have to formulate in your mind, once the hype dies, then what? M&N should have been everyone's prime example, but...

I don't know if dudes have/had the capital to spend and keep spending during the "storm" or wanted to. So, even good stores (like Suite Sole inSC) ain't last a year.

Even in business, I don't do debt very well. And I damn sure don't do the "get this person and that person's $, and we pay them back and getours" things.

Thus, e-commerce is the way to go. No rent. No bills from accounts falling behind.

It'll be interesting to see where this hobby goes next 2-4 years.

Once you get off this website, there is a reality outside.

And it's bleek as f___. Stores that are still "alive" are getting no new inventory (or very little).

I know official stores that haven't sold ONE PAIR of Silver 1/2 cents... yet.

So.......

Didn't notice this. Haven't been by in quite some time. Just seen the dude Marc last week. They had decent inventory, but they didn't market verywell. Also, had no real online presence either. I always wondered who actually owned the store? Marc was just running it I assume? ltd/ed is staying abovewater because they do a great deal of business online from what I understand. I agree with a majority of the points Kev made. This day in age it's aboutthe digital store more so than it is the store front. I think a great example of this business model and operating JUST online is the aftermarket car businessand motorcycle business. You look online you have a lot of parts superstores doing very well. Reason being is the only "real" cost they have is oneto maintain and store inventory.

Back
Top Bottom