GET BUSY: PHARRELL'S PRODUCTIVITY SECRETS

pharrell > deluded, unstable diva
THIS X 100 thousand million trillion.
Im sure Pharrell has run into some of the same challenges, BEFORE Kanye.
But that doesnt stop him from achieving his goals.
And all without the cry baby rants.

Last edited:
i mean what particularly impresses me is how pharrell does it in such a fairly low key AND yet incredibly effective way

everything - from his music to fashion to art/design projects - he actually has a knack for creating things and making them stick whether they be collaborations with other established brands or artists or just on his own. he knows his stuff without going out of his way to demand that you know he knows. it's not contrived

and his output (aside from maybe some of his music) isn't really the type of stuff that he produces on a wide scale for mass consumption. as a result he manages to maintain fuller artistic control of his brand at a higher premium while preventing his products from ending up on some discout rack a few months after they're released like the fate of so many so-called "urban" brands

his track record is pretty impressive

i mean what particularly impresses me is how pharrell does it in such a fairly low key AND yet incredibly effective way

everything - from his music to fashion to art/design projects - he actually has a knack for creating things and making them stick whether they be collaborations with other established brands or artists or just on his own. he knows his stuff without going out of his way to demand that you know he knows. it's not contrived

and his output (aside from maybe some of his music) isn't really the type of stuff that he produces on a wide scale for mass consumption. as a result he manages to maintain fuller artistic control of his brand at a higher premium while preventing his products from ending up on some discout rack a few months after they're released like the fate of so many so-called "urban" brands

his track record is pretty impressive

Agreed. I notice many of the same things with swizz beatz.

good perspective. I never thought about comparison about ye and Pharrell, but they are pretty similar. I agree, pharell is doing it a million times classier. Only thing kanye have over P is kim, but that is comparing apples to oranges.

GREAT read...such a contrast to Kanye.

These two paragraphs stuck out to me:

Williams's productivity is remarkable, but perhaps more impressive is his humility. In the two hours we are together, he takes credit for . . . nothing. "He has every right to an inflated ego, but he's extra humble," says Tyson Toussant, cofounder of Bionic Yarn. "It has to do with the way he was raised. He's a very amenable Southern gentleman. He calls everyone sir or ma'am. I grew up in Manhattan, and there are friends of mine, you'd think they had invented Twitter. He's not like that. He'll treat a doorman and Bill Gates the same way." The sentiment is genuine, Toussant adds, but also smart. "If you want people to have your back, you need to appreciate them."

That dynamic is clearly working. Williams's four-year partnership with Bionic Yarn, which manufactures fabric out of discarded-plastic-bottle fibers, has been profitable for the past year, in part because Williams encouraged the brands he designs for--including Moncler, Timberland, Topshop, and Gap--to use the fabric. (Williams, who grew up in an area with a big military presence, is now courting the army to make uniforms.) "Pharrell's decisions are emotion based," says Toussant. "If he were reading spreadsheets, he wouldn't have joined our company when he did because it wasn't close to making money. The ideal of it took a lot of work, but that's the beauty of visionaries like P, who can see what's possible.

I love the humility aspect that he brings to the table...he doesn't have a sense of entitlement. There is a genuine respect that he has for others, and in turn, that goes a LONG way. You can see that those relationships he's built over the years made it possible for him to intertwine Bionic Yarn with some of the other companies that he's done work for in the past.

Pharrell just gets it.

Thanks for the read, OP. I really enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom