Getting into Grad School

youmadyoubad

Banned
Quick question for those in Grad school or that have finished Grad school. Is it possible to get into Grad school with a subpar gpa. Subpar being below a 3.0 . I'm looking into going back to school, unfortunatly i had way to much fun in my early years of Undergrad.
pimp.gif
 But as a dumb young college kid i lived day to day and not for my future,
ohwell.gif
 any help would be much apperciated.

Thanks in Advance Nt

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

What grad program? Not to be a downer but if u had a 2. Something u really won't get into a program

I figure as much, I just wanted to see if anyone had something different to say or suggest.

yeah if youre looking super top tier.

Like some schools that I've looked at don't have minimum GPA requirements. for example, If you're trying to get into a business program (like I'm doing now) and you do good on the GMAT then they will take that into consideration as well.

Hell Prarie view A&M takes a 2.4 minimum GPA with no immediate GMAT scores for business and they are accredited by the same group that has accredited USC, Harvard, Arizona State, etc.

you just got to look. there are schools out there that will take a 2.something.

Originally Posted by oO Master Chief Oo

What grad program? Not to be a downer but if u had a 2. Something u really won't get into a program
Not true.

A lot of graduate school admissions is based off of your complete resume. GPA and test scores (if required by your program) certainly are big factors in getting admitted to graduate school but a lot of people argue that letters of recommendation and your statement of purpose are much more important.

To put it simply: there is no one formula that will get you admitted. If your low GPA cannot be helped, then you just have to make yourself a more attractive candidate in other areas. You obviously won't get into every program, but getting into graduate school with a sub-3.0 GPA is not unheard of.

I graduated undergrad w/ honors and just received my letter that I was denied to grad school last week. The professor that did one of my recommendation letters was sure I was going to get in, but come to find out I didn't make it. Good luck.

Originally Posted by JRAdagreat72

Like some schools that I've looked at don't have minimum GPA requirements. for example, If you're trying to get into a business program (like I'm doing now) and you do good on the GMAT then they will take that into consideration as well.

Hell Prarie view A&M takes a 2.4 minimum GPA with no immediate GMAT scores for business and they are accredited by the same group that has accredited USC, Harvard, Arizona State, etc.

That accreditation don't mean squat. 

It depends, OP.  What's your GMAT score?

What's your definition of a top school?

If you're thinking top tier school like Booth, CBS, HBS, Kellogg, better be 750 minimum. 

Also, what have you done?  Any big community work?  Leadership?

If you don't have any of that, you better kill your interviews if you get a few...

Good luck.  I got into UC Booth, but decided not to do it and pursued a CFA instead.

Originally Posted by reigndrop

Good luck.  I got into UC Booth, but decided not to do it and pursued a CFA instead.
interesting...why did you not go to Booth?  isn't that the #1 MBA program? 

you could take the CFA exams while taking classes...a kid i know passed level 1 this past year while still going to school and is currently studying for lefvel 2.

That accreditation don't mean squat. 

It depends, OP.  What's your GMAT score?

What's your definition of a top school?

If you're thinking top tier school like Booth, CBS, HBS, Kellogg, better be 750 minimum. 

Also, what have you done?  Any big community work?  Leadership?

If you don't have any of that, you better kill your interviews if you get a few...

Tell me how it doesn't?

Originally Posted by rsdplaya

interesting...why did you not go to Booth?  isn't that the #1 MBA program? 

you could take the CFA exams while taking classes...a kid i know passed level 1 this past year while still going to school and is currently studying for lefvel 2.
It's top 5 for sure.  I'm near the top of my analyst class, though.  Why go to school for two years and come back as an associate, when in a year, i'll be promoted to an associate?  There's no point in going to grad school when you already have a network and waste two years. 

Tell me how it doesn't?
Just cause its accredited doesn't mean its a good choice to go there.  I've never even heard of hell prairie a&m.  And did you see the schools you listed that are accredited, ASU and HBS. 

Like I said, the accreditation don't mean anything.  If you're not doing an MBA from a top 20, hell even top 15 or 10 school, you're wasting your time and money.

OP, get into a top 20 school or else your life won't change at all, except for more debt.

I'm sitting out a year or two before applying to law school because my grades aren't law school worthy. I already have a great recommendation pocketed but applying now would be silly.

1. You need a well rounded resume' that shows you worked, took classes and had involvement in student activities all at once. That makes up for you g.p.a.
2. If you get the interview you need a great story of why your g.p.a. is what it is.
3. You might want to make some connections. Everybody knows somebody that knows somebody.

If all else fails, try a different grad program, or lower your standards in schools. You can always try and transfer into a better institution.

Just stay away from schools with commercials.

Originally Posted by Lex Starks

I'm sitting out a year or two before applying to law school because my grades aren't law school worthy. I already have a great recommendation pocketed but applying now would be silly.

Still won't save you. And in 2 years it will be even harder. 

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

!+@+ it then
ohwell.gif

straight up i graduated undergrad with like a 2.7 and got accepted into grad school after taking a semester off to test the job market (epic fail)
laugh.gif

imo it really depends on what school you're looking at first and then test scores give that extra boost i guess

even tougher schools that require high undergrad GPA will let you slide if you have good scores, recommendations, etc. and vice-versa

good luck 

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

dude might have a chance in a low tier law school

Originally Posted by Chadleroy

straight up i graduated undergrad with like a 2.7 and got accepted into grad school after taking a semester off to test the job market (epic fail)
laugh.gif

imo it really depends on what school you're looking at first and then test scores give that extra boost i guess

even tougher schools that require high undergrad GPA will let you slide if you have good scores, recommendations, etc. and vice-versa

good luck 

This thread is making me feel really good right now.

Im a sophomore and I transferred to a new school and things arent going well here to say the least GPA wise. I still have time to pick it up but at this point
sick.gif

Just nice and assuring to know a lot of other things factor into grad school acceptance other than just your undergrad GPA.

A helpful tip for those of you trying to get into graduate school with under a 3.0 GPA.
Contact the department you are applying to ahead of time and speak with one of the heads in the department (preferably a professor since they have a commitee who looks over graduate applications). Tell them about yourself and ask about the application process. Then proceed to tell them some worries you have regarding your GPA, but do mention your goals and what you will like to accomplish. Try to develop a relationship with some of the professors in the department. When you do apply, they will recognize you and who you are. Try to do good on your exams...whether it is the GMAT,GRE etc. I believe a lot/most school look mostly at your last 60 credits if anything, so if your grades improved after your junior/senior/super senior years...do emphasize on that when speaking to a faculty member of the department.

Good Luck

Its hard right now especially in Cali. I was lucky to get in I think, and I had a much better GPA than 3.0 and good GRE scores. So I don't know, but I don't see that happening with the low acceptance rate because of the economy, and everyone trying to get into grad school at the moment cause no jobs. It all depends on the program and your CV. What else do you have to offer? If your going into the sciences or engineering I would say you have no chance. (I'm molecular/cell bio if it matters)

1. NT is not admissions office, all these people can speculate all they want but not one of them know what they are talking about.

2. No matter how much of a BS you can front to explain the low GPA, it still shows that you might not and most likely will not be successful in Graduate school. This is not to say it is impossible, but don't go into this out of disparity.

It's not even about whether or not they think you are capable of improving grade wise. It's the fact that they have no reason to accept you since by accepting you, you will lower their overall GPA that they report, thus lowering their ranking in USNWR or whatever they are in.

HigherGround wrote:
1. NT is not admissions office, all these people can speculate all they want but not one of them know what they are talking about.

2. No matter how much of a BS you can front to explain the low GPA, it still shows that you might not and most likely will not be successful in Graduate school. This is not to say it is impossible, but don't go into this out of disparity.

Who are you to say another members response is not valid because "We don't know what we are talking about". I actually do "know" what I am talking about since I am a current graduate student. I also know someone who was admitted into a grad program two years ago below a 2.5 GPA. Though time has changed, the process isn't that different. Schools do look for those in the top percentage of the graduating class but they also look at the undergraduate program. Believe me...a 3.5 GPA in Communication studies is not looked higher than a 2.9 GPA in Nuclear Engineering. At the same time, just because a certain school says it accepts applicants with a minimum GPA of 2.5 doesn't mean a person with a GPA of 2.6 is automatically admitted. People who are admitted are those who stand out, not only by GPA and test scores. Those who volunteered for different organizations, presidents of certain organizations or completed community service hours. Why do you think a statement of purpose is required in the application process. They want to know about you, not only your academics and how you can help the program. For the people trying to get into grad school with a GPA below 3.0, do not be discouraged. Still apply, but make sure you are stronger in other areas to make up for the low GPA. You will definitly need a strong recommendation letter.

Originally Posted by HigherGround

While "NT is not admissions office," anyone who has done their homework in regards to graduate school - such as talking to professors at their current school who are on admissions committees - will know a thing or two about the process.

Ultimately, do your homework on the programs you want to apply to and know that there are many ways to offset a low GPA. Also, know that there are many graduate students who went on to successful programs with low undergraduate grades.

well, is it a waste of time to go back to school and getting a new BS or BA getting good grades the second time around then applying for Grad school. Has anyone tried this route?

Back
Top Bottom