Going to Europe in a week! Eating Spots, Must See places, etc..

Hey NT,

I will be backpacking Europe for 2.5 weeks starting Tuesday the 24th! I'm very excited. I've done little research on things to do, because I have a "wherever the wind takes me" mentality, but in a very safe manner :smile:

Specifically, I will go from Barcelona, to Paris, to Rome, and lastly, VENICE.

I would like to ask other travelers in the NT community,

"Where in any of the 4 mentioned cities, did you find a delicious, and interesting restaurant?"

"Where are the must see places?"

I went on a similar trip last August (Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Ibiza, Rome). I was only in each city for 2 or 3 days so I dont have too many things to list.

-If you're a single guy I recommend that you go on pub crawls for every city. Great way to meet cool people and its an intro to fine women that are usually from all over Europe. Also, they take you to clubs/bars that locals go to instead of the megaclubs that cater only to tourist.

BARCELONA:
-Gaudi church is a must see. Pay the extra to go to the top of the tower.
-Club Obium was cool. Mega clubs in Europe are expensive so pregame.
-Eat Paella (its worth the wait!) and churros and drink the sangria. And eat the ham sandwiches. Eat seafood on the beach
-Not sure if its going on but go to la tomatina
- go to the beach where club opium is. Forgot the name of it

ROME:
-Colosseum
-Vatican....there's a pizza shop around the corner. Literally the best pizza i've ever had. Small little shop where the owner is old as hell. I really wish I knew the name smh
-There's super good Filipino food. Shocked me but it was legit.
-Buy some ties. They're cheap and excellent quality
-Buy no name leather goods from street vendors/mom n pop shops. The quality is 2nd to none!

PARIS
-If you're pressed for time hop on one of those double decker tourist buses to see all the tourist stuff, its a lot. The best ones to see are:
-Eiffel tower at night, get a couple of beers/champagne from the street hustlers and enjoy the show.
-Sacre-Coeur at night is a must! Over looks the entire city. Buy a few beers and relax
-Jardin du tuileries is really peaceful
-The love lock bridge is cheesy but relaxing to hang out and enjoy the views. Warning if you're a man of color with a beard bring your passport or you will be arrested on suspicion of being a terrorist.

Last edited:
I'll be in Rome from July 1st to the 3rd, so I'm also interested to hear some ideas. Can't wait!

I went on a similar trip last August (Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Ibiza, Rome). I was only in each city for 2 or 3 days so I dont have too many things to list.

-If you're a single guy I recommend that you go on pub crawls for every city. Great way to meet cool people and its an intro to fine women that are usually from all over Europe. Also, they take you to clubs/bars that locals go to instead of the megaclubs that cater only to tourist.

BARCELONA:
-Gaudi church is a must see. Pay the extra to go to the top of the tower.
-Club Obium was cool. Mega clubs in Europe are expensive so pregame.
-Eat Paella (its worth the wait!) and churros and drink the sangria. And eat the ham sandwiches. Eat seafood on the beach
-Not sure if its going on but go to la tomatina
- go to the beach where club opium is. Forgot the name of it

ROME:
-Colosseum
-Vatican....there's a pizza shop around the corner. Literally the best pizza i've ever had. Small little shop where the owner is old as hell. I really wish I knew the name smh
-There's super good Filipino food. Shocked me but it was legit.
-Buy some ties. They're cheap and excellent quality
-Buy no name leather goods from street vendors/mom n pop shops. The quality is 2nd to none!

PARIS
-If you're pressed for time hop on one of those double decker tourist buses to see all the tourist stuff, its a lot. The best ones to see are:
-Eiffel tower at night, get a couple of beers/champagne from the street hustlers and enjoy the show.
-Sacre-Coeur at night is a must! Over looks the entire city. Buy a few beers and relax
-Jardin du tuileries is really peaceful
-The love lock bridge is cheesy but relaxing to hang out and enjoy the views. Warning if you're a man of color with a beard bring your passport or you will be arrested on suspicion of being a terrorist.

i've heard about club opium! definitely got to pre game if its expensive. I am actually going to be with my girlfriend so the spots you named for Paris will be a must. thanks for a lot for sharing @CJ0003

People who make these threads should post pics of said trip when they get back. People go through all this work to make suggestions on fun things to do and never find out if their recommendations are heeded.

Post pics when you come back.

O
People who make these threads should post pics of said trip when they get back. People go through all this work to make suggestions on fun things to do and never find out if their recommendations are heeded.

Post pics when you come back.

Definitely going to post pics then! Got my GoPro x SelfieStick ... and my Nikon DSLR!

Rome, atleast in city centre is like Disneyland. Tourists on top of tourists on top of tourists flanked by shops and restaurants trying to fleece these tourists of their money. If you want to get away from that a bit, walk across the river into the Trastevere neighborhood. Lot of good spots to eat and just hang out. I think the Vatican is a definite must see. Just shows how far that kiddie abuse money goes man. Its unreal.

While I havent traveled that much, of the cities I have been to Barcelona is my favorite in Europe. I spent a lot of time just getting lost amongst all the little side streets in the Barri Gotic and El Born neighborhoods. Lots of little bars, cafes, and places you can dip into to just hang out. It was years ago, but I happened to be there when there was a Champions League semi-final match between Barca and Real Madrid. City was buzzin. Ended up catching the match at a local bar in El Born and it was a great atmosphere. Place was jampacked so everyone was just sitting on the floor as if we were watching in someones living room.

Venice - I personally would never go back to this city again. My impression is that it was very tourist trappy. Just my opinion, but i think your time would be better spent in Florence which is an awesome city. Go find some legit Bistec alla Fiorentina and grub out.

Rome, atleast in city centre is like Disneyland. Tourists on top of tourists on top of tourists flanked by shops and restaurants trying to fleece these tourists of their money. If you want to get away from that a bit, walk across the river into the Trastevere neighborhood. Lot of good spots to eat and just hang out. I think the Vatican is a definite must see. Just shows how far that kiddie abuse money goes man. Its unreal.

While I havent traveled that much, of the cities I have been to Barcelona is my favorite in Europe. I spent a lot of time just getting lost amongst all the little side streets in the Barri Gotic and El Born neighborhoods. Lots of little bars, cafes, and places you can dip into to just hang out. It was years ago, but I happened to be there when there was a Champions League semi-final match between Barca and Real Madrid. City was buzzin. Ended up catching the match at a local bar in El Born and it was a great atmosphere. Place was jampacked so everyone was just sitting on the floor as if we were watching in someones living room.

Venice - I personally would never go back to this city again. My impression is that it was very tourist trappy. Just my opinion, but i think your time would be better spent in Florence which is an awesome city. Go find some legit Bistec alla Fiorentina and grub out.

Yeah I hear its tourist packed up in Rome! I think it'll be a good time anyways but I will be keeping my money tight, but not too tight.. Trastevere neighborhood? THANKs! just wrote that in my journal. along with Barri Gotic and El Born. I would really like to absorb the less touristy things like activities you described. I appreciate your stories very much. Thanks @mojodmonky1

if you go to the trevi fountain in rome, watch your pockets! well watch them all over rome...

some old gypsy/roma lady tried to reach under and around on my pocket while the crowd i was in was watching a street performer

Last edited:
if you go to the trevi fountain in rome, watch your pockets! well watch them all over rome...

some old gypsy/roma lady tried to reach under and around on my pocket while the crowd i was in was watching a street performer

Yes, I am going to be extra careful with my pockets. I bought a hidden wallet that will be very useful in Rome 8)

Thanks for your story and advice @NazDrowie

When u go to barcelona..take the subways only ..1.50 gets you anywhere in the city and very easy to navigate..don't waste money on cabs

We usually go to barceloneta beach..it's really close to everything and many restaraunts to choose from

Yes, I am going to be extra careful with my pockets. I bought a hidden wallet that will be very useful in Rome 8)

Thanks for your story and advice @NazDrowie

just a matter of preference, but i bought a hidden wallet thing too but never used it. was just a hassle. as long as you are aware of your surroundings you should be straight. just keep everything in your front pockets, and if you are going to be stationary or amongst a crowd, put your hands in your pocket so you can feel your wallet there.

Yeah I would recommend putting those lockers to good use in the train stations
Carrying your big *** pack around sucks, so when you know you're gunna be somewhere for a while unload and leave that **** in a locker

the best activity you can do (I did it in Berlin, but anywhere really) is to rent bikes and tour the city yourself
you can even follow the tour groups / buses if it behooves you

Also know that the trains in France and Italy are a *****
You need a reservation to ride (so , being a "wherever the wind takes me "kind of fella as well, it sucked to be hindered in that way)
There's a really dope zip-lining place in northern italy

Idk what you're into, but backpacking for 3 weeks me and my boy didn't touch any of that touristy ****.
No Eiffel, no coliseum, no historical **** period
Like the culture in France is awesome, they have underground parties in the train stations man
I'd much rather do that then fill up a photo album of pictures at landmarks that I'll never look at again

This maybe obvious, but link up with ANYONE that you know in the countries your visiting
Ideally they can show you around, but even if not, still the info they'll give you is gold compared to ******** blogs and whatnot

But yeah, ppl are really paranoid about the thievery thing, but we didnt have any issues
once again though, we avoided the touristy spots, and those places bc you're literally shoulder to shoulder are where you're the most vulnerable
My pops made me bring those hidden wallets, and I put 100 Euros rolled up into chapstick for a real emergency
Honestly, though the last thing you should do is worry, just do what the **** you want this trip and make some goddamn memories

Just read the rest of the posts- I loved Florence as well
(Hit the city, went shopping, spent racks, and then went to my best friend's Sister's wedding in the hills Under The Tuscan Sun style)
Taxi cab drivers are always taking kids your age to the dopest spots, so they might be your best resource in finding a good time

Also, who are you traveling with?
The ONLY reason i'D HIT Venice is if I was with my shorty. if your with guys... it'll be like In Bruges... seriously
Rome is overrated- Florence could replace it.
If I could plan your trip , I'd say
stay longer in Barcelona, and hit any of the following places: Madrid, Lisbon, Valencia (Ibiza)
it's like the Mecca for adult fun. the spots you picked besides France and Spain just aren;t my style though

Oh! And DEFINITELY you got to find where the big gathering to watch the Cup matches will be
I mean iTALY'S still in it, and France probably as well, **** Spain though

heard Venice is RANK in the summer...also watch out for the tides, walking through knee deep water isn't the business

i went January years ago so no smell and its a cool place...can be seen in two or so days

Last edited:
just got back from rome and paris.....did all the touristy things since I was with the fam

bruh the 4 cheese pizza i tried in rome in a little alley restaurant was the best pizza i ever had

girls in rome>>>girls in paris not even close

Yeah I would recommend putting those lockers to good use in the train stations
Carrying your big *** pack around sucks, so when you know you're gunna be somewhere for a while unload and leave that **** in a locker

the best activity you can do (I did it in Berlin, but anywhere really) is to rent bikes and tour the city yourself
you can even follow the tour groups / buses if it behooves you

Also know that the trains in France and Italy are a *****
You need a reservation to ride (so , being a "wherever the wind takes me "kind of fella as well, it sucked to be hindered in that way)
There's a really dope zip-lining place in northern italy

Idk what you're into, but backpacking for 3 weeks me and my boy didn't touch any of that touristy ****.
No Eiffel, no coliseum, no historical **** period
Like the culture in France is awesome, they have underground parties in the train stations man
I'd much rather do that then fill up a photo album of pictures at landmarks that I'll never look at again

This maybe obvious, but link up with ANYONE that you know in the countries your visiting
Ideally they can show you around, but even if not, still the info they'll give you is gold compared to ******** blogs and whatnot

But yeah, ppl are really paranoid about the thievery thing, but we didnt have any issues
once again though, we avoided the touristy spots, and those places bc you're literally shoulder to shoulder are where you're the most vulnerable
My pops made me bring those hidden wallets, and I put 100 Euros rolled up into chapstick for a real emergency
Honestly, though the last thing you should do is worry, just do what the **** you want this trip and make some goddamn memories

Just read the rest of the posts- I loved Florence as well
(Hit the city, went shopping, spent racks, and then went to my best friend's Sister's wedding in the hills Under The Tuscan Sun style)
Taxi cab drivers are always taking kids your age to the dopest spots, so they might be your best resource in finding a good time

Also, who are you traveling with?
The ONLY reason i'D HIT Venice is if I was with my shorty. if your with guys... it'll be like In Bruges... seriously
Rome is overrated- Florence could replace it.
If I could plan your trip , I'd say
stay longer in Barcelona, and hit any of the following places: Madrid, Lisbon, Valencia (Ibiza)
it's like the Mecca for adult fun. the spots you picked besides France and Spain just aren;t my style though

Oh! And DEFINITELY you got to find where the big gathering to watch the Cup matches will be
I mean iTALY'S still in it, and France probably as well, **** Spain though

:rofl:
I appreciate your stories. A Eurotrip with the fellas sounds amazing! But, this trip is with my girl. I definitely agree on not to worry about a damn thing! I'm going to just have fun and get on a level and just absorb the cultures. I actually am looking forward to the "touristy" activities and sights, but I really want to also find some time for the underground type activities!

and florence>rome? someday :smokin

just got back from rome and paris.....did all the touristy things since I was with the fam

bruh the 4 cheese pizza i tried in rome in a little alley restaurant was the best pizza i ever had

girls in rome>>>girls in paris not even close

I'm going to be surfing those alley restaurants and just grub on the real italian food, most especially the pizza! thanks for sharing!

feel free to PM me with any stories about Paris. I'd like to hear!

Back
Top Bottom