Going to Europe next week, tips, tricks, do's & dont's?

So ill be in Italy, Spain, and Ibiza, possibly more places.
For those of you who have gone overseas, give me some pointers.

Already got those electricity converters, getting euros this week, and letting the bank know.

Don't plan on using my phone, but wanna have it readily available in case of an emergency. What did you guys do about your cell/plan?

For cell plan, call up to have them turn on international roaming. If you have a phone with a SIM, take it out before you take off and just keep your phone on airplane mode for the whole trip. You can keep wifi on in case your hotel has free wifi. It would be a great help in looking up additional things to do, etc and most importantly keeping in touch.

In Spain and Italy (like most other European cities) there will be a good amount of pickpockets. I never go to Europe without my travel pouch that goes underneath my shirt, around my waist. I carry nothing but a few Euros in my front pocket for small expenses such as coffee, metro, etc. My wallet, copy of my passport, etc all will go in the pouch where it will be almost impossible to pickpocket. I would take out what I need discreetly. I always feel safe in that regard.

For bigger purchases, just keep in mind you are eligible to get your VAT refunded at the airport. I'm sure you've read up on it, but just be mindful not every purchase will be eligible. I've had trips I've gotten good $ back, and trips where I got $0.

IBIZA!!

Hit up Amnesia and Cream Fields for sure.

YAMBS..FRIENDLY YAMBS...EVERYWHERE

It's gonna be expensive...

walk around town...get lost....it's fun what you find.

Thanks for the advice.

Anything else?

Any of you use your credit card or withdrawal from the ATM? How were the fees/exchange rate?

For italy
Theres atm everywhere.

Xchange rate in italy was ok...but it mite be f***** now lol

Dont go to a place where the menu is english.
Dont eat outside in venice ( costs)
Hostels in rome are cheapest near little Philippines ( that exists)
Dont wear sandals ever

If u go to naples clutch that $$$$$$
Wine is cheap and you can carry it around :smokin
Beer in italy is :x
If u go to venice try and wake up before the sun rises. For about 20 mins and as the sun is rising you can walk around like the city is yours. Hardly anyone is out.

Florence is amazing for women, art, nightlife.

Get lost once.

Last edited:
^Yeah, a dude tried to steal my compact camera in Barcelona....good thing I had the string attached to my wrist.

You don't need to tip
Bring water with you

^Yeah, a dude tried to steal my compact camera in Barcelona....good thing I had the string attached to my wrist.

You don't need to tip
Bring water with you
That's crazy Im going to france next month. I think if I have a chance ill lay a dude out that tries to pickpocket me.

Last edited:
IBIZA!!
Hit up Amnesia and Cream Fields for sure.

YAMBS..FRIENDLY YAMBS...EVERYWHERE

It's gonna be expensive...
walk around town...get lost....it's fun what you find.
My bro n boys are there right now. .. im semi jelly. Going next year for sure.

I'm heading to Germany later this year as i got stationed there. Can't wait to explore all the little cities near the base and country hop when i can. Gonna be there for three years. I'm stoked as hell.

So I'm booking a room in Ibiza and the price for 2 adults as opposed to 1 is almost double the price. Are they THAT strict when you show up? What if there's 2 of us and booked a room for 1?

So I'm booking a room in Ibiza and the price for 2 adults as opposed to 1 is almost double the price. Are they THAT strict when you show up? What if there's 2 of us and booked a room for 1?
Something most Americans don't understand.

Ibiza is a party island.  The most famous party scene in Europe and for anyone who likes House/Dance music.

Hotels sell out months in advance, clubs and shows are packed with 1000 and more people.

Of course it's double the price.

Something most Americans don't understand.
Ibiza is a party island.  The most famous party scene in Europe and for anyone who likes House/Dance music.
Hotels sell out months in advance, clubs and shows are packed with 1000 and more people.
Of course it's double the price.
I get that, but here in the US I can put 1 guest and 4 of us can go in, no problem. If I put 4 guests, it charges me for every single one. I have never seen them make a big deal about it.
That's why I'm asking if its the same in Europe/Ibiza

Sckid20
Would you recommend withdrawing from ATM or taking my own euros?

Take your own and set a "limit" but Youre def gonna end up withdrawing from the atm.

Oh yeah dont buy water in rome. Just bring a bottle because the fountain water is extremely clean.
Even the fountains with statues.

Eat a neapolitan pizza
Italians dont mind if u dont speak the language but they like it if u try. Its like the opposite in france.
France has really good indian food

Have fun :smokin

Went last year.

Wished I had came with more Euros. Phone was on airplane mode but hostels were clutch with the wi-fi. Hostels are the way to go, definitely nicer than I expected and abdundance of yambs.

Barcelona was nuts, didn't get to go to Ibiza though. Didn't go to clubs until 2AM, girls from all over (Swedish were the baddest while Canadians were the most down), and partying on the beach just steps from the clubs post-club. I wish I was there longer to explore more of the city (spent a lot of day time recovering at the beach) but at least we stayed by Las Ramblas.

French women were bad but in general the French don't like Americans who can't speak the language. We had a saying "Man we love France but **** the French". Monaco put American stunting to shame.

One of the best decisions we made in France was getting fresh bread, meats, and cheeses from local markets and grubbing hard. Food was good and it stopped us from dropping too much money on food.

Whatever you think you will spend, you will spend more.

Be great :smokin

Only been to Italy but dudes are spot on with pickpockets, it's pretty bad all over Europe especially on the high tourist areas. Also be careful and mindful of the women you hook up a friend of mine got set up in Rome. Met a bad ***** went back to her "apartment" :rolleyes and was got for all his bread and passport, by goons :smh:

Also be aware of where you go clubbing cause you don't want to be in a spot where the Euro version of Debo and Nuc Nuc be snatching chains lol

As far as Rome check out the smaller neighborhoods like Nomentana. I stayed there and had a great time. It's not a tourist area but its has great restaurants, cool architecture, bad ******* and a lot quieter and more of a neighborhood. They got there own little nightlife scene too with more bars and pubs than nightclubs.

Italy: Firenze, Venezia. The concept of an entire city on water - crazy.

Spain: Andalusia (Sevilla, Granada, Cordoba). Nice region, all within bus rides of each other. Madrid's alright.

Ibiza: friends went there recently for a stag. One club they went to costs EUR 60 just to get in.

Just use common sense around you: don't whip out your wallet/valuables in public, survey your immediate area, try not to get too drunk/blitzed/high and you'll be alright. I've never been pickpocketed and I've been living in Europe for 14 years.

Holla if you're rolling through Munich.

Peace

For cell plan, call up to have them turn on international roaming. If you have a phone with a SIM, take it out before you take off and just keep your phone on airplane mode for the whole trip. You can keep wifi on in case your hotel has free wifi. It would be a great help in looking up additional things to do, etc and most importantly keeping in touch.

In Spain and Italy (like most other European cities) there will be a good amount of pickpockets. I never go to Europe without my travel pouch that goes underneath my shirt, around my waist. I carry nothing but a few Euros in my front pocket for small expenses such as coffee, metro, etc. My wallet, copy of my passport, etc all will go in the pouch where it will be almost impossible to pickpocket. I would take out what I need discreetly. I always feel safe in that regard.

For bigger purchases, just keep in mind you are eligible to get your VAT refunded at the airport. I'm sure you've read up on it, but just be mindful not every purchase will be eligible. I've had trips I've gotten good $ back, and trips where I got $0.

What is VAT? I did a quick google search and still dont get it

What is VAT? I did a quick google search and still dont get it
Time to put my econ class to use...

VAT stands for Value Added Tax

My understanding of it is that it is a tax for any money added to the cost of the product due to work done on the product i.e turning a coconut to coconut oil.

Back
Top Bottom