Going to San Francisco. Suggestions, tips, etc?

I'm going to SF at the end of this month for 5 days (Saturday-Wednesday). Only plan is to visit and stay a night in Napa Valley but I just wanted to ask NT for suggestions since this is my first time there.

Places to visit?
Must eat restaurants (and should we get reservations now)?
Nightlife?
Where to stay (fisherman wharf area)?
Suggestions for Napa?

And any other ideas or tips you may have. Also, I heard SF public transportation is pretty good, I only plan to get a car for the trip to Napa but will I need it at all to enjoy SF?

Thanks brahs.

BART is good if you're just looking for touristy spots. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting Uber/Lyft on your phone. A little more expensive but takes you exactly where you need to go while being cheaper than cabs.

If you're on a budget and decide to book a hotel outside of the city, park your car at the Best Buy on Harrison for free parking and take Uber/Lyft from there. Looks like a shady area but it isn't (lots of startups nearby)

Don't stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area. Other than the typical tourist trap of Pier 39, there's not much to do around there. If you want to go clubbing, stay around Union Square. More expensive but extremely convenient. When I had a group of 10+ people visiting, we stayed at the Intercontinental so my small apartment wouldn't get trashed. There are a bunch of clubs within a 10 minute walking distance, Target is a block away, plenty of places to eat, short walk from BART and all the shops, etc

Must eat restaurants...this depends on your budget. If you want to get a little sightseeing & eating done at the same time, book a table at Epic Roasthouse. It has views of the Bay Bridge, which is pretty cool at night because of the lighting/light shows

Last edited:
If you're going into the city, I suggest a bar called Elbo (Elbow?) Room.  Pretty sweet bar for locals, located in the Mission.

Parking is also a ************* nightmare.  Only place in the US I've seen with time limits on residential parking.

Also, if you're taking a girl with you, check out the Rooftop Bar at the Grand Marriott. Amazing view of the city

Just stayed in SF for three days two nights (waiting to board flight right now), stayed near Union Square, lots of good neighborhoods within walking distance (cow hollow, PAC heights, little italy) plus BART stops few blocks away, even walked to fishermans wharf even though it was kind of far. Only downside is its near Tenderloin which is very bad IMO, not necessarily dangerous as it is filthy and riddled with bums (saw human feces on the sidewalk, people dry heaving in the street, etc)

Try to knock out the touristy stuff all in the first day (the wharf, golden gate, coit tower, twin peaks) because there are too many great neighborhoods to explore.

Bar hopped on union and filmore streets, also chestnut street, LOTs of good bars with good HH specials. Highly recommend.

Thanks guys. Not much of a clubbing person but more of a sit back and enjoy the company at a bar. Going with the girlfriend so just trying to plan ahead.

Will look at the suggested restaurants. So far I got Nopa and commonwealth somewhat on the plans. Hogspoint/swans for seafood. Looking for a mix of some nice (Michelin starred) and some cheap dives. Only bar I have planned, which required reservations was Bourbon and Branch.

Thanks guys, suggestions on napa as well. Keep it coming folks.

Last edited:
Nopa is ridiculous when it comes to getting a table. Sometimes you have to book one WEEKS ahead. Not even worth it for eating American breakfast food while being forced to sit near a @#$% load of hipsters

Last edited:
Nopa is ridiculous when it comes to getting a table. Sometimes you have to book one WEEKS ahead. Not even worth it for eating American breakfast food while being forced to sit near a @#$% load of hipsters

Lol booked for Sunday 8/31 at 10:30PM to get some bites after we are done at Bourbon and Branch. Should I rethink it? Suggestions on any tasting menus?

Oh, if you already booked it it's fine. I guess you have everything planned out already. I'm not saying it's bad food or anything, but to me it's extremely overhyped, and something about having to book a casual spot like Nopa a month ahead when I don't even know what I'm doing a week from now irritates me.

Last edited:
Oh, if you already booked it it's fine. I guess you have everything planned out already. I'm not saying it's bad food or anything, but to me it's extremely overhyped, and something about having to book an extremely casual spot like Nopa a month ahead when I don't even know what I'm doing a week from now irritates me.

Agreed. But I figured I'd just get reservations for whatever I could and look up y'all's suggestions since I can always cancel.

Don't really have it planned out though just random browsing. Appreciate all the help.

There was a banging breakfast spot I went to think it was called Honey Honey? Idk don't remember but it was dope and right around there was some banging sushi.

I remember Alcatraz being pretty interesting when I went. They even had a former inmate there for a book signing for a book he wrote about his experience there I think.

Also went to and recommend AT&T Park and Pier 39 like others have said.

Back
Top Bottom