Good basketball drills for when its raining?

I coach a couple middle school teams in West LA and right now its been raining pretty bad. Unfortunately we don't have a gym, so I'm looking for some good basketball drills that we can do. Keep in mind I don't want these kids getting sick so they amount of time they can be outside in the rain is very limited. For the most part I've just had them in the classrooms working on passing, defensive stances, dribbling and a lot of conditioning (jumping, lunges, push ups, sit ups, wall sits ect). Also if you know of any open gyms in West LA that we could use in the mornings that would be great.

I coach a couple middle school teams in West LA and right now its been raining pretty bad. Unfortunately we don't have a gym, so I'm looking for some good basketball drills that we can do. Keep in mind I don't want these kids getting sick so they amount of time they can be outside in the rain is very limited. For the most part I've just had them in the classrooms working on passing, defensive stances, dribbling and a lot of conditioning (jumping, lunges, push ups, sit ups, wall sits ect). Also if you know of any open gyms in West LA that we could use in the mornings that would be great.

Without a gym I think conditioning is the thing you can do. Have them run stairs. I always hated this workout but it's very effective imo. The stuff you mentioned work just as well. Stretching is important to them too.

Without a gym I think conditioning is the thing you can do. Have them run stairs. I always hated this workout but it's very effective imo. The stuff you mentioned work just as well. Stretching is important to them too.

what krazy88s said... running stairs is definitely something you can add to your list of conditioning exercises.

if you wanna get fancy... do what Phil does and try Zen Buddhism
laugh.gif

what krazy88s said... running stairs is definitely something you can add to your list of conditioning exercises.

if you wanna get fancy... do what Phil does and try Zen Buddhism
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I can't think of any...

No offense, but you're the worst poster on this forum.

Anyway, I think you should just continue with the basic conditioning stuff, but don't go overboard with the strength training, although I'm sure you know what you're doing. Going over some tape, or basic plays like the pick&roll and give&go would be beneficial as well.

There are open gyms in Los Angeles, but the minimum age to use the basketball courts is 18. I'm sure they would be too crowded to get anything done anyway.

Strange weather we're having
laugh.gif
should be clear by Thursday though.

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I can't think of any...

No offense, but you're the worst poster on this forum.

Anyway, I think you should just continue with the basic conditioning stuff, but don't go overboard with the strength training, although I'm sure you know what you're doing. Going over some tape, or basic plays like the pick&roll and give&go would be beneficial as well.

There are open gyms in Los Angeles, but the minimum age to use the basketball courts is 18. I'm sure they would be too crowded to get anything done anyway.

Strange weather we're having
laugh.gif
should be clear by Thursday though.

Play beer pong, with water cups.  It's basketball, you need to run around...at that age nothing else you do is going to help much.  If they are in a classroom, just hit them with a quick 30 minute continuous workout.  5 minute wall squats, 5 minutes jump rope, 2 minutes mountain climber. Rest 3 minutes and repeat.  They will feel pretty toast after that.  Let them relax, play some pong, watch documentaries and get to know each other.  Play team building games if you really feel they must be doing something.  If you are interested in a fun team building game, let me know and I'll describe it out.

Play beer pong, with water cups.  It's basketball, you need to run around...at that age nothing else you do is going to help much.  If they are in a classroom, just hit them with a quick 30 minute continuous workout.  5 minute wall squats, 5 minutes jump rope, 2 minutes mountain climber. Rest 3 minutes and repeat.  They will feel pretty toast after that.  Let them relax, play some pong, watch documentaries and get to know each other.  Play team building games if you really feel they must be doing something.  If you are interested in a fun team building game, let me know and I'll describe it out.

Back
Top Bottom