Good laptops for college

And when I say good, I mean good quality, along with a decent price. I'm heading off to start college in may and I'm finally able to afford something.a Any suggestions? How much does the air run?

Originally Posted by solesurvi0r7

And when I say good, I mean good quality, along with a decent price. I'm heading off to start college in may and I'm finally able to afford something. a Any suggestions? How much does the air run?

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Get any Toshiba. I used mine for the past 3 years and its still running good.

Do not get yourself the Macbook Air...has not optical bay, and it's overpriced. Get yourself the new Macbook.

For $1099 you can get 2.0 GHz processor, 1gb RAM, 120GB HDD. For $1299 you can get a larger hard drive, DVD burner, 2GB RAM and a 2.4 GHz processor.

I'm using a HP Pavilion dv5000 that I had since freshman year. I had it upgraded during the summer by the IT department at my job so I won't need a newcpu until after I graduate from school.

You could always check with your school. Each individual school/program has laptops that they prefer because it makes the work a lot easier than if youdon't have it. Don't buy it from the school because they'll jack up the prices.

Get a Macbook, you won't regret it. I couldn't even imagine trying to mess with that Windows stuff.

i have the dell inspiron e1505. Havent had any problems with it at all...my mom has one too. works great

Originally Posted by sole leisure

Get a Macbook, you won't regret it. I couldn't even imagine trying to mess with that Windows stuff.

I have a Macbook pro and
indifferent.gif
if you get a Mac for college andyour major is not art. I didnt necessarily buy my mac for school because I am a graphic designer. It is easier if you have a Windows for college. My major isBusiness Real Estate and I have had like 3 classes that require certain software, and NONE of the software was compatible with my Mac. I had to either use myfriends laptop or go to the library. Alot of people go with HP but I have always been a Dell fan both are very good. you cant go wrong

Dell's are much more affordable than anything Mac and they are GREAT computers. My cheap little Dell laptop has held me over for 3 years now. I've onlyhad "common" computer problems with it and since I have the warranty it was all fixed for free. (Dell has great customer support at least in myexperience.)

Mac computers are great, but if you aren't even going to use it to it's full potential there really is not point in spending all the extra money. Saveyour money for other things.

it's probably past your intelligence quota.
I have a Macbook pro and
indifferent.gif
if you get a Mac for college and your major is not art. I didnt necessarily buy my mac for school because I am a graphic designer. It is easier if you have a Windows for college. My major is Business Real Estate and I have had like 3 classes that require certain software, and NONE of the software was compatible with my Mac. I had to either use my friends laptop or go to the library. Alot of people go with HP but I have always been a Dell fan both are very good. you cant go wrong
this is probably the worst reasoning i've ever heard to get an Apple. Apple does not equal Art. I'm pretty sure Pixar uses Linux-basedmachines for their rendering, and LucasArts is 99% windows.

Also, some schools are pro-Apple. Stanford, i know for a fact, is Apple oriented, and Windows computers have a hard time with compatibility.

Word I don't have a laptop but I bought a dell my freshman year in '03 and it's still going strong til this day. The memory wasn't anythingback then like comps have today but its still straight.

Originally Posted by offbad

I have a Macbook pro and
indifferent.gif
if you get a Mac for college and your major is not art. I didnt necessarily buy my mac for school because I am a graphic designer. It is easier if you have a Windows for college. My major is Business Real Estate and I have had like 3 classes that require certain software, and NONE of the software was compatible with my Mac. I had to either use my friends laptop or go to the library. Alot of people go with HP but I have always been a Dell fan both are very good. you cant go wrong
this is probably the worst reasoning i've ever heard to get an Apple. Apple does not equal Art. I'm pretty sure Pixar uses Linux-based machines for their rendering, and LucasArts is 99% windows.

Also, some schools are pro-Apple. Stanford, i know for a fact, is Apple oriented, and Windows computers have a hard time with compatibility.

dudes on NT be getting salty and rude for no reason

Macbook is a fine laptop if you can afford it / justify the price for the specs...OSX is a great OS, the aesthetics get any girl wet and it does it's jobwithout any major glitches.

But that's the same if you go for a PC laptop too. It's all about how literate and careful you are, how you can work your way around OSX/Vista/Linuxand how much appearances matter for you.

If you're going for value, go for a Dell.

If you're going for something with a little more stability or oomph, go Apple.

If you're looking for a little more oomph but want to stay PC/Windows, go Sony Vaio or HP.

Best thing to do is decide if you want a Mac or PC, that is a debate within itself.

Then you have to decide if you want specs as well as looks, or just value for your money.

Go out to the stores like Best Buy and talk to a sales rep there, that's a better option than asking these biased fools on NT

All they want to do is get on each other about each other's suggestion and show how much better their choice is...
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Cz7

dudes on NT be contributing nothing.
Originally Posted by ProMethod Man

All they want to do is get on each other about each other's suggestion and show how much better their choice is...
eyes.gif

If you're looking for a little more oomph

Go out to the stores like Best Buy and talk to a sales rep there

i'm not getting on anyone about their suggestion. i'm getting on people's reasonings. if you're going to say something, i hope you'd beready to back it up. it isn't my fault that people give terrible reasons so support their arguments.

and, what the hell is "oomph"

Also, most sales reps usually know just next to nothing about computers in my experience.

edit**
I'm never coming back into these "recommend me a laptop" things again. People come in with tons of misconstrued conceptions and others get allupset when they get called out.

peace.

Originally Posted by Cz7

I have a Macbook pro and
indifferent.gif
this is probably the worst reasoning i've ever heard to get an Apple. Apple does not equal Art. I'm pretty sure Pixar uses Linux-based machines for their rendering, and LucasArts is 99% windows.

exactly. Chill out man. There are very FEW schools that are "pro-Apple" for the most part the majority of schools use Windows (except the artdepartment) and thats the truth. And cool you named 2 companies that DONT use Macs. Look dude I've been in the graphic design scene for some years now andI have gotten the chance to meet with designers from all over, I have met some that are from big studio production companies. And the MAJORITY use Mac fordesign. But w/e to avoid more bitter face typers, I'm going to get off this subject seeing as how it has little to do with the question at hand. I was justtrying to share my experience with mac and school. Dude just get a HP or Dell pretty good bang for your buck.

All I can say is that I love my MacBook. But, if you're really looking for affordability and you don't want a Mac, go with a Dell. Honestly, I thinkthat people try not to buy Macs just so they'll be "different". There is no reason why you shouldn't buy a MacBook. Superb customer service,great dependability and reliability, good quality, everything. Besides, you can even run Windows on it if you REALLY need to.

The Lenovo X300 > Air... (Unless all you care about is the design)

If Dell still has that monster warranty that you can buy, I'd get a Dell, they have great value. And if you get that warranty (if they still offer it) youcan do anything you want to it and it's covered by warranty (what I remember). It'd be a different story if you weren't in school...

Originally Posted by Cz7

dudes on NT be contributing nothing.
Originally Posted by ProMethod Man

eyes.gif

If you're looking for a little more oomph

Go out to the stores like Best Buy and talk to a sales rep there

i'm not getting on anyone about their suggestion. i'm getting on people's reasonings. if you're going to say something, i hope you'd be ready to back it up. it isn't my fault that people give terrible reasons so support their arguments.

and, what the hell is "oomph"

Also, most sales reps usually know just next to nothing about computers in my experience.

edit**
I'm never coming back into these "recommend me a laptop" things again. People come in with tons of misconstrued conceptions and others get all upset when they get called out.

peace.
lol wow. dude's getting a rise over computers.

I had a dell desktop since my freshman year in 03. Last year I sold it and bought a HP DV6000 for about $1000 since this winter I'll be starting gradschool. So far i can't complain, it's a great notebook. Great functions, looks nice and quality is superb. I'll recommend a HP notebook to anyonelooking for a good labtop especially for those still in school. Buy an external harddrive also too kep your notebook in good shape.

Really if you want dependable computer, you should just go head and buy a Mac for what it is worth.

Air book starts at 1700, but i suggest you get the plain 2.2gh macbook - it have everything you need + more.

Originally Posted by Gettin It Crackin

Honestly, I think that people try not to buy Macs just so they'll be "different".

Dont kid yourself.

If anything, the people trying to be different are buying Macs.
Originally Posted by Gettin It Crackin

There is no reason why you shouldn't buy a MacBook.

There are plenty of reasons for not getting a MacBook.

Price, Compatability, Gaming, etc. etc. etc.

Back
Top Bottom