good pupusa spots?

Anybody know of any good spots around the area? I randomly walked into some spot called Del Ora Fuente (can't remember the name) off University and NH, which was great. Anybody tried Irene's? I heard they shut down the one in Wheaton but apparently there is one in downtown Laurel?    

Doña Azucena in Langley Park (Piney Branch Rd and University Blvd) is considered the granddaddy of Pupusa spots since its been around since the 80's and is the classic go-to spot, although there are plenty of better spots now.

Tamarindo (18th and U St) has pretty good pupusas (I prefer just cheese joints btw) as do a bunch of "pupusa" trucks in Langley Park/Silver Spring/Wheaton.

Irene's in wheaton is good (although it might be closed) as is a spot near University Blvd and Georgia Ave "Sergio's". Another go-to Spot is "La Casita" on Piney Branch Rd near Sligo Ave in Silver Spring.

There are many more spots than this in MoCo and Uptown/Columbia Hts/Mt. Pleasant area so hopefully other heads can chime in. VA has plenty of spots as well but they don't come to mind right now except for the second Doña Azucena spot in Arlington (Glebe Rd and Rt 50). Hopefully VA cats can suggest good spots as well. Hope this helps.

thanks tried some for first time a few weeks ago and am hooked so all these spots are appreciated. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by B Fresco

Doña Azucena in Langley Park (Piney Branch Rd and University Blvd) is considered the granddaddy of Pupusa spots since its been around since the 80's and is the classic go-to spot, although there are plenty of better spots now.

Tamarindo (18th and U St) has pretty good pupusas (I prefer just cheese joints btw) as do a bunch of "pupusa" trucks in Langley Park/Silver Spring/Wheaton.

Irene's in wheaton is good (although it might be closed) as is a spot near University Blvd and Georgia Ave "Sergio's". Another go-to Spot is "La Casita" on Piney Branch Rd near Sligo Ave in Silver Spring.

There are many more spots than this in MoCo and Uptown/Columbia Hts/Mt. Pleasant area so hopefully other heads can chime in. VA has plenty of spots as well but they don't come to mind right now except for the second Doña Azucena spot in Arlington (Glebe Rd and Rt 50). Hopefully VA cats can suggest good spots as well. Hope this helps.

Azucenas' has great pupusas but their curtido is so-so. My favorite spot til now has been "Don Juan's" Mount Pleasant. Their pupusas and curtidos be on point. I don't like the tomatoe sauce all that much so I ask for that on the side instead of with the curtido.

Great input fellas, keep it goin... Any VA Spots? I know i've had some good pupusas at Abi's in Arlington (Columbia Pike near Walter Reed Dr.), and it has a good bar to watch soccer games at as well...

Irenes pupusas closed at the wheaton location, but moved to georgia ave/layhill rd right next to staples...
I like La casita, but not a fan of their curtido and they don't give you that red tomatoe sauce also... (really love their pan de pollo con huevo)
Azusena is hit or miss for me, sometimes its perfect sometimes its too much masa(corn flour) for me... (love their nugados)

Dont mess with alot of places, cause they cook their pupusas with lard...

Check out this out...... http://www.washingtonpost.../05/gIQAH8ZvxS_blog.html

Irene's 

Cosign on Dona Azucena.  Also around the corner Samantha on Univ. got decent food/prices, also sells Pupusa. 
Fair warning though, most of these places aren't the nicest in terms of looks or classy, think more like sit-down carryout. 

Possibly NT DAR at a Pupuseria spot/truck 
pimp.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Jay, I'm with you... An NT "meetup" (sorry, the term DAR for these meetings is corny) at a restaurant serving some Latino/"Spanish" food would be dope, and get most folks on here out of their "Comfort zone", lol. Love the input on here, we might as well add on here good restaurants that serve Latino/Spanish/Caribbean food. While we at it, if you want good Peruvian Ceviche, yaw gotta try Junior's Chicken in Old Town Gaithersburg. Right on Diamond Ave and Summit. They're Chicken (Polla a la Brasa aka roasted in a brick oven/pit) is pretty bangin also. Add your spots breauxs!

Ercilia's on Mt. Pleasant is also pretty good but Pupuseria San Miguel has the best pupusas in DC and it is on Mt. Pleasant too.  Like someone else said El Tamarindo was pretty good.

Jay, I'm with you... An NT "meetup" (sorry, the term DAR for these meetings is corny) at a restaurant serving some Latino/"Spanish" food would be dope, and get most folks on here out of their "Comfort zone", lol. Love the input on here, we might as well add on here good restaurants that serve Latino/Spanish/Caribbean food. While we at it, if you want good Peruvian Ceviche, yaw gotta try Junior's Chicken in Old Town Gaithersburg. Right on Diamond Ave and Summit. They're Chicken (Polla a la Brasa aka roasted in a brick oven/pit) is pretty bangin also. Add your spots breauxs!

My favorite peruvian spot is La Limena in rockville... Right next to it got my other favorite spot called El Mariachi...
pimp.gif
 its like behind the ihop off rockville pike before marlo furniture...

Ercilia's in D.C. on the corner of Irving Street and Mt. Pleasant Street has always been good to me. Also if you **** with Sopa de Res, they got some of the best that I have had in the area.

Back
Top Bottom