Good summer jobs vol. college students

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by Kramer

Internships are hard to land and most of them don't even get paid
ohwell.gif
When I go home Im applying to every possible place I really dont care where

What field are you in?

Most internships these days....are paid.  And a lot of them pay rather well.
Not good ones. Big companies usually don't pay because they figure the experience > money other internships offer.
I'm interning with the Clippers and we are not paid. I also applied to Sony, LA Angels, Dodgers, ESPN, Power 106, Power 106 and all were unpaid internships (Im in Marketing btw). There were plenty of other internships that were paid but they were for obscure/start up companies. I want to work in Sports/Entertainment marketing so I preferred working with a well-established organization.

Not everyone can afford to work unpaid internships (I work part-time) so if OP needs income why wouldn't he get a job in the summer to save up? However, if you can afford to not get paid then I would strongly recommend an internship. I've met so many people and learned so many things already that I know will only help me in the future. I also saved up when I was working full-time in order to afford working part-time and interning.

Originally Posted by erupt107th

ohwell.gif

What field are you in?

Not good ones. Big companies usually don't pay because they figure the experience > money other internships offer.
I'm interning with the Clippers and we are not paid. I also applied to Sony, LA Angels, Dodgers, ESPN, Power 106, Power 106 and all were unpaid internships (Im in Marketing btw). There were plenty of other internships that were paid but they were for obscure/start up companies. I want to work in Sports/Entertainment marketing so I preferred working with a well-established organization.

Not everyone can afford to work unpaid internships (I work part-time) so if OP needs income why wouldn't he get a job in the summer to save up? However, if you can afford to not get paid then I would strongly recommend an internship. I've met so many people and learned so many things already that I know will only help me in the future. I also saved up when I was working full-time in order to afford working part-time and interning.
The quality of an internship is subjective but I think whether an internship is paid or unpaid has more to do with the industry than anything else. 
Before I even got to your second paragraph I was going to note that I've never heard of a paid internship in the entertainment industry. You work for free, that's just the industry standard. 

That said, I've got a ton of engineering friends and none of them have worked an unpaid internship and most of them got paid very well while interning.   

I think it's safe to say that generally speaking the majority of businesses compensate their interns. 

ohwell.gif

What field are you in?

Pharmacy. Ill admit I havent looked around a ton yet but from what I've gathered most aren't payed

Pharmacy? you should be good then, fambs...

pharmacy or lab tech... ANY kind of hospital job

you could also look for some kinda service or administrative, pencil job in a pharmacy...

you dont HAVE to be splitting prescriptions and what not...

just as long as you're in the environment, that can do wonders for you in the future.

Try and get an internship fam. Was fortunate enough to land one last Summer and it has become one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Not everyone's situation is the same though

Back
Top Bottom