goodbye gilbert arenas??? wiz to offer 6yrs $100 million!!!

im just sick of ol ernie!!!! the only thing that sticks with me with this McGee kid is what Jay Bilas said on the draft coverage. he said somethin to theeffect of McGee still has to be taught the game. now, in my head i'm thinkin that the Wiz are past the point of drafting people to teach them how toplay??? wiz fans, am i wrong??? we need a guy who can step in and give quality minutes!!! the past couple drafts are chock full of players that havent"learned" the game!!! (pecherov, kwamay, some other guy that hasnt made it stateside, and Blatche)...i dont blame Abe, i dont blame easy eddie; olernie might not be as good as the so-called experts think!!!....

I feel bad for Gil, he's my boy and made the Wiz what they are today.....but in no way with a bad knee is he worth 16+ mil. Especially with Caron emergingas the new face of the franchise. Really, if your a gm wouldn't you just go out and spend the money on baron instead?

Fresh off ESPN a few minutes ago, Stephen A said it's not official and it's really not $100 Mil.. but thats just posturing most likely.

Etan is also goin to make Haywood decline, because he will also look over his shoulder again. Yeah.. I agree he's played much better this year, because hehad more minutes, but everyone knows Etan works hard and plays hard when he's in and Brenden is straight scurd of Etan all the way around anyway.

I almost feel bad for you boys.

Looking at the 1st round pick we selected, my screaming for Joey Dorsey the last 3 months on here isn't too much of a stretch now, er?
smh.gif

Could be worst though -- you could be a Bobcats fan! MJ should just stay away from the NBA draft. wOw.

Anyway, with Arenas, you gotta look at things cap-wise and business wise. Once you are already OVER the cap, you might as well resign a guy who will at leastgenerate a certain amount of ticket sales, attention, etc.

What's keeping this thing going is that, people tend to forget, coach E. Jordan did coach in the ASG a couple years back. So, the theory is, when everyoneis healthy, we can compete with anyone in the East... but the other younger teams in the East have gotten better since then.

Philly talking about signing Josh Smith OUTRIGHT. You can never count Orlando out now. Same for Cleveland. Atlanta has the potential to make a couplesignificant off-season moves.

Personally, I would have signed and traded Gilbert. Don't know about the takers though. Many young point guards, such as Felton, as getting shoppedaround like crazy.

I'd be surprised if we win 50 games next year, but I'm hopeful.

Originally Posted by RockDeep

Etan is also goin to make Haywood decline, because he will also look over his shoulder again. Yeah.. I agree he's played much better this year, because he had more minutes, but everyone knows Etan works hard and plays hard when he's in and Brenden is straight scurd of Etan all the way around anyway.

I almost feel bad for you boys.
Haywood >>>> Etan

Etan is soft, don't even jump, big for NOTHING! He need to stick to poetry and writing books. Haywood is much better from the line, inside, rebounds, allaround... thats my opinion. Etan reminds me of... the Cowardly Lion in Wizard of Oz - he needs to ask the Wizards for Courage, a new heart (oh he got that). Low Blow! I went too far... but seriously dude needs to play with some heart! DONT EVEN JUMP!!!

Why was my previous comment/post to this thread deleted or not posted???

Anyways...

"WASHINGTON (AP) - Two-time All-Star forward Antawn Jamison re-signed with the Washington Wizards on Monday, agreeing to a four-year, $50 milliondeal."

Golden St is in the mix for Gilbert.... and Washington is countering with a 6yr/126 mill...

they better be careful...... last person to get that Cool&Dre/Birdman/Weezy "100 million".....
Juwan Howard...

lol

how did THAT work out??

^I'm with you on that. If the Wizards were smart, they would use that 126 million and get Elton Brand and Monta Ellis.

If they give Gil 126Mil to basically shoot the lights out and lose more games they are crazy.

I'd def. use that on a future big man. DO what NJ is doin and get rid of some folks hoping for a better future. Their Cap should be good in a few years, orare they still carrying Jim McIlvaines hefty Salary? lol

Originally Posted by cmoneymontana

^I'm with you on that. If the Wizards were smart, they would use that 126 million and get Elton Brand and Monta Ellis.

pimp.gif
... exactly! 2009 is a good free agent market and the Wiz DID playbetter without Gilbert. HIbachi is that dude but not for 126 mill....

Or Gil should be a man of his word and take LESS...that way there is some flexibility for roster changes. He said that he wouldn't be here if Jamisonwasn't retained...well, we re-upped Jamison. He (Gil) said that he would take less money to help us turn into a contender. Well, the max deal is on thetable...let's see if Gil is a man of his word. I'm not holding my breath because he has a penchant for talking out of both sides of his mouth.

*Does anyone else see anything wrong with offering a dude coming off of 2 major knee surgeries a max deal? I trust Ernie, but this has the makings of a dealthat we might regret.

^^
Of course as a Non Wiz fan I can be seen as bias, but to give ANYONE that type of money who's had those knee surgeries is crazy....and THEN to hamper yourRoster? What if one of the Their "Almost Big Three" gets hurt?

Rely on the rest of the Bench Again?

You might as well bring back all your old Terps again to bring people to watch. (Lonnie Baxter unavailable) I mean MJ does it with the Tarheels.. Abe might aswell just do that with the Terps.

They will probably compete just as much with the East the way it is.

I got no problems giving a dude that deal if he maintains substantial trade value/demand.

I'm with you Chris.

I'm feeling a little Juwan Howardish about this long term wise...

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

This team actually resembled a legit squad when Gil wasn't on the floor. For as much as he has done in DC, his act has gotten tired and old. Homie had all the leverage in the world back when his knees where intact. Now, the ball (no pun) is in the Wizards court as far as what happens to #0.

Ernie Grunfeld ain't stupid. Everyone knows that the team was more cohesive this past season without having to deal with the Gilbert Arenas circus. I don't like the fact that he is trying to call his shots by putting pressure on the organization to make various roster moves. The statement about him re-signing ONLY if Jamison is brought back isn't something that he should be speaking on in the first place. This guy constantly speaks out of both sides of his mouth, and is ALWAYS contradicting himself in order to have the spotlight solely on him. He's an attention grabber who would be better suited playing in Los Angeles. Let's get a S&T together and see what we can get in return. If it's possible, maybe come up with something where Gil/Blatche are shipped out for Elton Brand and someone else on that roster.

Re-signing Jamison is a must, and doing this shoule have little to no-bearing on whether or not Gil is going to be brought back. We're a better team without him, and the Big 3 needs to be altered. Get a true pass-first PG here in DC and build the team around CB3.

*On a side note, is anyone worried about Todd's production slipping once Etan Thomas is cleared to play? Todd REALLY stepped up this season, and it was no coincidence that it was due to the fact that Etan was in street clothes for the whole year. That's another side story which doesn't need to be repeated in 08-09. Again, Ernie Grunfeld ain't stupid, and i'm sure he realizes this as well...

the attention grabbing makes him and the team entertaining to watch...we had a cohesive squad with just antawn/caron but look at back wen everyone washealthy (december 06/january 07 i believe) they were the best squad in the east...letting go of gilbert would be a big mistake

thats why we kept him

mad at that! the man is injured for nearly the whole season &gets $100mil waiting for him for 6 years?? but jamieson who misses the least games out of thewizards 3 gets only half??? yeah, arenas is good but if he doesn't stay healthy for the 6 years he's re-singing with the wizards, then the franchise islosing madd money paying him to sit on the bench. ohhh well, i guess even the NBA overpays for the namebrand.

Originally Posted by superman22938

Originally Posted by Q46totheE

This team actually resembled a legit squad when Gil wasn't on the floor. For as much as he has done in DC, his act has gotten tired and old. Homie had all the leverage in the world back when his knees where intact. Now, the ball (no pun) is in the Wizards court as far as what happens to #0.

Ernie Grunfeld ain't stupid. Everyone knows that the team was more cohesive this past season without having to deal with the Gilbert Arenas circus. I don't like the fact that he is trying to call his shots by putting pressure on the organization to make various roster moves. The statement about him re-signing ONLY if Jamison is brought back isn't something that he should be speaking on in the first place. This guy constantly speaks out of both sides of his mouth, and is ALWAYS contradicting himself in order to have the spotlight solely on him. He's an attention grabber who would be better suited playing in Los Angeles. Let's get a S&T together and see what we can get in return. If it's possible, maybe come up with something where Gil/Blatche are shipped out for Elton Brand and someone else on that roster.

Re-signing Jamison is a must, and doing this shoule have little to no-bearing on whether or not Gil is going to be brought back. We're a better team without him, and the Big 3 needs to be altered. Get a true pass-first PG here in DC and build the team around CB3.

*On a side note, is anyone worried about Todd's production slipping once Etan Thomas is cleared to play? Todd REALLY stepped up this season, and it was no coincidence that it was due to the fact that Etan was in street clothes for the whole year. That's another side story which doesn't need to be repeated in 08-09. Again, Ernie Grunfeld ain't stupid, and i'm sure he realizes this as well...

the attention grabbing makes him and the team entertaining to watch...we had a cohesive squad with just antawn/caron but look at back wen everyone was healthy (december 06/january 07 i believe) they were the best squad in the east...letting go of gilbert would be a big mistake

thats why we kept him

I'll give you that we WERE the best in the east for a little less than 1/2 the season, but you'd be drinking that Wizards kool-aid if you reallythought that team was a LEGIT championship contender. The defense intensifies by 100 in the playoffs, and that season we were still statistically one of theworst defensively. As I've said numerous times, we are no better than a 40-45 win team. Nothing is different, nor will it change. We need interiordefense help, and for our other stars to give 100% on the other end of the court. Until that happens, its going to be the same song and dance that we havegrown accustomed to watching year in, and year out.

mad at that! the man is injured for nearly the whole season &gets $100mil waiting for him for 6 years?? but jamieson who misses the least games out of the wizards 3 gets only half???

Gil is 26.

Antawn is 31.

You figure it out.

My-T.

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

mad at that! the man is injured for nearly the whole season &gets $100mil waiting for him for 6 years?? but jamieson who misses the least games out of the wizards 3 gets only half???

Gil is 26.

Antawn is 31.

You figure it out.

My-T.

Key to the Wiz for me is Caron Butler and the Wiz interior.. I understand the need for Gil ( but not for 111mill)
Until the interior is shored up..... 44-46 wins and a first round loss is it ....

Originally Posted by HARMCITY45

Ya'll prolly would've went further had he kept his A' on the bench...
thats what i thought too...he throws the team off completely. they shouldve made a play for baron davis

Originally Posted by SoleFood06

Originally Posted by HARMCITY45

Ya'll prolly would've went further had he kept his A' on the bench...
thats what i thought too...he throws the team off completely. they shouldve made a play for baron davis
Hell no....last thing we would need as a replacement for Gil (assuming he left) is another scoring PG....

Back
Top Bottom