GQ July 2012- An Oral History of the 1992 Dream Team; NBATV special on 6/13

eek.gif
had no clue the select team whooped the dream team's ##%

Webber/Hurley
pimp.gif

the reverence all the players and coaches had for MJ is unreal.. and people want to mention other names in the same breath 
30t6p3b.gif

Makes you realize how truly amazing that squad was. The focus on the court, the larger than life personities and how they mixed.. What a treat it must have been in 92.

THOSE were superstars. I love the talent and skills of todays players but to compare is completely ridculous.

We should just appreciate the uniqueness of that great team and players without trying to put down the current group of stars. They're not comparable, that team was special and important to that specific moment in time for basketball.

Highlights had to be Stockton going completely unnoticed and trolling that woman, Chuck still insisting that Angolan elbowed him 3 times
laugh.gif
, finally seeing the Monte Carlo scrimmage, Magic's absurd laughs and ad libs "and then I was like 'WHOOO HAAAAAAA'", and Patrick looking extra sad and lonely feeding those birds at the end.

Originally Posted by Ghenges

That college team they practiced against was amazing too. Webber, Grant Hill, Shaq.
I thought that was Rodney Rogers, not Shaq
nerd.gif

Couldn't stop laughing at the Angolan describing Chuck as "the fat boy who's aggressive in the paint." 
roll.gif

On skill alone, and you can add some players that didn't make the squad but these were the greatest in history.

They didn't solely rely on athletisicm or size but they were great at the game. Very few holes in their games, they were smart, fundamentally sound, and played their positions at the highest of levels.

MJ was different because he combined their qualities with great physical gifts and a will to win. That is why they looked at him at such esteem. He was a pro's pro.

Originally Posted by sensaciondelbloque

anybody has the Select Team's roster?
Penny, Hill, Houston, Hurley, Mashburn, Montross, Rogers, Webber

A great retrospective. Really enjoyed that. A lot of the subplots we already knew about, but they really brought it with the footage. I also liked David Stern's response to criticism over how dominant the team was and if they should go back to college players, with the comment about African distance runners staying home.

Allan Houston (college squad player): When we got to the gym, there was this balcony [overlooking] the gym, so we didn't walk right in. It was almost, like, suspenseful. We look down and we see Barkley dunking. We see Michael stealing from somebody and doing one of his things where he takes off from outside the lane and double-pumps under the rim. We're like, "Wow, they do this in practice, too?"
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom